PDA

View Full Version : New to the Neighborhood

9_on_the_snap
09-03-2003, 05:25 AM
This is my first post on this forum and i'm excited to join. I've been playing pool now for a little over 3 years. To say the least, i'm proud of my game and where it is at. When i fisrt started to play pool seriously it was after getting a job at the biggest pool hall in Columbus, Ohio called Corn-Fed Reds Poolhall. (Corey Deuels home poolhall) From the start i've played guys like corey deuel, dee atkins, chris bartrum, danny tater and several other guys who are well known both on tv and on the road. Playing these guys has done more for my game than i can ever explain. By getting beat on a consistent level by players of their calibers i'm able to hang with just about anyone (realize i didnt say BEAT). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Since working at Cornfeds i've moved on and now shoot out of Players Family Billiards in Whitehall, Ohio. This is by far one of the best pool halls i have been in when taking into consideration the atmosphere and competition and quality of players who come in. After shooting with just about every brand of cue there is i can't move away from falcon cues. Besides a schon down the road i'll stick with falcons forever. Well, i just did this to introduce myself around here. To make this post a little more interesting i guess i'll pose a question for everyone to respond to. Whats the best pool hall on the east coast that everyone has been in? I travel a little and would like to hit some pool halls on the road. Give me and other readers your opinions. Thanks.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9_on_the_snap:</font><hr>

...Whats the best pool hall on the east coast that everyone has been in? I travel a little and would like to hit some pool halls on the road. Give me and other readers your opinions. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

I've never been there but if you're ever in Boone NC there's a place called Country Retreat Family Billiards. The owner there will give you all you can handle in 14.1

There's a bunch of East-Coasters on this board. I'm sure they can help.

hope this helps

I'm just down I-71 in Cincy,

pooltchr
09-03-2003, 06:39 AM
Welcome, Snap. Glad to have you along for the ride here.
As to your question, there's no way to pick just one, but I will say that the Miz has a very nice place down in North Palm Beach, FL. Raleigh NC has the Brass Tap which got some nice press this month in IP.

Fred Agnir
09-03-2003, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9_on_the_snap:</font><hr> To make this post a little more interesting i guess i'll pose a question for everyone to respond to. Whats the best pool hall on the east coast that everyone has been in? I travel a little and would like to hit some pool halls on the road. Give me and other readers your opinions. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

So many pool rooms, so little time. I'll just talk about the New England rooms.

There are many people from other parts of the country that just cannot fathom what a Boston Billiards looks like. They hear of it, but until they see one, they just can't imagine. Usually 30-40 Gold Crowns, a huge Mahogany bar, excellent lighting, and... scantilly clad waitresses... The downside is that it is a yuppy/preppy place that wouldn't remind anyone of a "pool hall."

Every one that gets built automatically finds a place in the Billiards Digest Top Ten pool halls. None of them are what I would call "player's rooms" but for a tournament, it's tough to beat. The one in Nashua, NH is IMO the best of them. Gold Crown IV's in fabulous condition. Separate tournament area.

http://www.bostonbilliardclub.com/nashua.htm

Other rooms to consider:

Smith's Billiards, Springfield, MA
-old school nostalgic room
-older Brunswicks
-old house cues

Snookers , Providence, RI
-excellent combination of player's room in a modern setting
To be more clear, a player would like to go play there, but it isn't boring and dusty.

Spot Shot, Portland, ME
-another excellent combination of player's room in a modern setting.

Legends, Portsmouth, NH
-another combination of players room with modern setting, with a little more "date night" feel (but not like Boston Billiards)

Action Billiards, Hamden, CT
-similar setting as Legends
-maybe more date night feel (college area)
-cool bartender and waitresses

Fred

ceebee
09-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Man'o man, that was sure some Billiard Room tour. The IMAX picture would WOW anyone... I gotta go there.
JOB's in Nashville was nice, Magoo's &amp; The Palace, in Tulsa, are nice.

Aboo
09-03-2003, 03:56 PM
The biggest pool-hall in my area just closed /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's not the east coast, but Breaker's Billiards in Olathe, KS was a really nice pool hall. Sad to see it go /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif