PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to understand the gambling lure

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 07:11 AM
My girlfriend and I went out Sunday evening to the local watering hole and met up with another couple that plays in our APA league. We stuck a couple of cues in a case so we wouldn't have to play with bar cues. I was battling a bad case of heartburn and a nasty sore throat. I ended up just pushing balls around and couldn't run 3 friggin' balls.

I was ready to quit when 4 young fellers came in. One of them comes up to me and says "Hey I saw your cues. You wanna play for 5, 10, or 20". I thought to myself I really need something to motivate me, I know I can play better than I have been. I said "Sure I'll play you for 5 since I don't know you". He says "Well it's my friend over there that wants to play".

Anyway this guy I played was ok, maybe a good C player. He beat me one game then beat my gf one game. I played him again and won 3 straight. My concentration was improved bigtime with something on the line. He quit on me and his buddies started razzing him. One of them stepped up and said he would play me and get his buddy's money back. I beat him 3 straight (He sucked). It was pretty funny that these guys thought they going to come in there and drink on other peoples' money and they ended paying for mine.

Anyway my point is this. I understand now why some of y'all like to play for a little something. It definitely improved my concentration. Although I would hate to get in the habit of using that as a crutch to play my best game.

ok I'm done.

later,

nhp
09-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Gambling can be really fun, especially when you are winning. Whenever I have some extra cash and at the PH I am willing to play cheap sets with strangers. That is how I enjoy my evenings spent playing pool. I have a friend who used to play pretty good, but doesn't play like that anymore. He will play for hundreds of dollars with strangers, and I don't know why. He never catches gear, in fact he keeps playing worse and worse the entire match. This has happened many times, but he is still up and willing to play. If he fixed his fundamentals I think he would get his game back, but he doesn't really listen to any good players who try to help him. It's very hard for them to help him because he has an ego problem. I still feel bad for him when he loses, but it's his fault.

BillPorter
09-03-2003, 09:17 AM
You wouldn't happen to have a description of your friend, the location of the poolhall, and the days and times he is usually there??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
09-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi Wally. I am not much of a gambler myself, but the other day, I was playing one pocket and my opponent didn't think I could do any good. Everyone was watching, mostly his friends. We put $5 on the game, and I ended up winning. I noticed that my concentration level was also at an all time high. Now if I can only apply that mentality to tournaments, I'd be just fine! LOL

Heide

JohnBarton
09-03-2003, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> You wouldn't happen to have a description of your friend, the location of the poolhall, and the days and times he is usually there??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

:-)) John Barton - Beezer's Billiards - Russellville Arkansas - most days - just stop in and ask - they'll call me. :-))

John

09-03-2003, 11:32 AM

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Welcome to the 'dark side'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Pretty soon, you will be running 4 friggin balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">I doubt that /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
09-04-2003, 08:20 AM
*post deleted.*

No more monkey, no more post.
Sorry if I offended.

griffith_d
09-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Sure there is motivation behind gambling,...but I have found that C or C+ players that gamble would gamble on cards, horses or dogs,...they just like to gamble, win or lose.

It is the Vegas Syndrome,..these people are not great or even good players,...they just like to gamble because of the thrill and they cannot be at Vegas(too hot for me). It is a hobby and hobbies never give back monetarily just emotionly, which is ok,...just like fishing or hunting,...cost a lot, returns are nil,...but fun nonetheless.

I do most all of the above mentioned hobbies(not the horses or dogs) and gambling on pool(something a swore off 20 years ago) is becoming more commonplace when using my cue.

Griff