PDA

View Full Version : BCn

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 08:55 AM
I watched BCn from last year's Open a couple weeks ago on Fox Sports Atlantic (?). I tried to watch the most recent show and my cable system now says "This is a subscription service" That sucks.

BCn
09-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately we don't control these issues. However, we have been working to establish other means of distribution for programming, as you know pay-per-view being one. Last year's U S Open experiment proved well enough for Dish and iNDemand to warrant more opportunities for the viewer, thus this year's Open with be offered as a 4 show package on Dish and 2 on iNDemand.

On those same lines, we believe that an ongoing weekly subscription-based service similar to the NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL center Ice, MLS Shootout, NBA Center Court is a viable opportunity for the billiard sports fan to get uncut, commercial-free tournament coverage.

Since you're a BCn viewer, we're curious to know if you would subscribe to a programming package that gives you exclusive matches from top tournaments througout the year?

And just for discussion purposes, let's say that the fee is $99.95 for 40 top mathes.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-04-2003, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCn:</font><hr> Unfortunately we don't control these issues.

<font color="blue">Thanks for the response. I wasn't complaining, I just found it curious that the free channel suddenly was subsription. Maybe the cable operator has trouble keeping track of all 600 channels. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Since you're a BCn viewer, we're curious to know if you would subscribe to a programming package that gives you exclusive matches from top tournaments througout the year?

And just for discussion purposes, let's say that the fee is $99.95 for 40 top mathes.

<font color="blue">Yes. Definitely. If it's on cable. I don't have a dish and do not intend to get one. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

BCn
09-04-2003, 09:32 AM
This would be a sports package similar to other sports, through iNDemand, Dish and other pay-per-view services.
Thanks

Ross
09-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Personally, I think 99.95 is a little high. I pay $49 for the professional soccer package (MLS Shootout)on DirecTV. This provides several games a week and they are live, not taped-delayed. I know we are comparing apples and oranges, but in my opinion you might get a significantly greater number of subscribers at say $49 or $69, than at 99.95. Also, the lower the price, the more likely you are to expand your fan base to include the "somewhat interested" pool players, and not just the hard core fans. The more these marginally interested viewers see quality pool on TV the more likely they are to ultimately become hard-core fans, and this could help you grow your subscription base over time.

Another way to think about it: If I go to the pool hall and I'm the only one who has seen your telecast (bc I'm the only one willing to shell out $100) then there won't be the opportunity to chat about the match with others who have also seen it. But if the price is low enough that a few of the other regulars in my pool hall have subscribed there will likely be more conversations and "buzz" about the matches, and other non-subscribers may be drawn in. Obviously, I'm just talking about the benefit of reaching "critical mass" in terms of numbers of viewers.

Of course, since I don't know the economics of putting these shows on, I'm not sure if a lower subcription price is feasible. But I just wanted to provide feedback from one pool fan.

BTW, I'm glad you are doing this, however you decide to do it.