PDA

View Full Version : The dipsy-do Shot....

RedHell
09-03-2003, 02:52 PM
In IP september issue, Hearthquake explain this shot. I read and re-read it, I just can't figure out how this is played. The table layout was this:

START(
%A[6A9%B[8A8%C[4\4%Dt1B7%Et1[9%Ft0C2%Gt2C0%HF9O0%ID2P5%JB5B4
%KB7\1%LC2\6%M[6B0%NB3\1%OB4A9%PW6D9
)END

As Keith explains it:

"It was my dipsy-do, also known as the inside kill shot. You must aim downward on the cue ball with follow-through and slide the cue ball over to the back rail with inside english, just shaving the object ball ever so crisply, so the cue ball will deaden off that back rail.

Learn the “feels” for this shot. If you hit the ball too full, it might be because your hand is too tight on the back end of the stick. Stroke downward using less pressure, with a longer stroke. If you over-cut it, it is because your grip is too loose on the butt end of the cue.

You need to over-compensate for hitting the ball too full or over-cutting it. Try to lengthen your hand on the cue stick, making sure you don’t pull or jerk it too much. I like to twirl my fingers around the butt to get a better “feel” for that longer stroke.

This is an advanced shot, and most pros have difficulty in executing this shot. Practice with shorter distances, and make adjustments until you have mastered the “feels.”"

Is there anyone (or Keith himself) that can explain how this is played and what the CB is suppose to do.

Thanks in advance...

Fred Agnir
09-03-2003, 03:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> In IP september issue, Hearthquake explain this shot. I read and re-read it, I just can't figure out how this is played. The table layout was this:

START(
%KB7\1%LC2\6%M[6B0%NB3\1%OB4A9%PW6D9
)END
Is there anyone (or Keith himself) that can explain how this is played and what the CB is suppose to do.

Thanks in advance... <hr /></blockquote>

It's supposed to do this:

START(
%KB7\1%LC2\6%M[6B0%NB3\1%OB4A9%PW6D9%QD8I0%RO5M8%UD2Z1%VF7P4
%WH2M3%XW0E7%YD0J7%ZG4M6%[D2J0%\C7J2%eA7b0
)END

It's an extreme check/hold shot with inside english (inside kill shot). It's a shot with high spin/speed ratio, and has to have swerve judged accurately. The cueball must draw in the direction of the green arrow or else the inside english (left hand in this case) will not hold up the cueball (don't hit too hard or else the draw won't have a chance to "take"). Hit the object ball too thin, and you'll over shoot the cueball to B or lower.

It's a nice shot that does require a bit of feel (but what would I know about playing by feel?). Try it without compensating first to see how much you need to compensate (just to make the 9-ball). With that low inside, I think you'll find you need to aim thinner. When I shoot this shot, I'm almost dropping my cuestick on the cueball rather than stroking it. Good luck.

Fred

bolo
09-03-2003, 03:06 PM
It is exactly the way he says. It is one of those shot you have to do to see the effect to believe it. There seem to be too much angle to stay there for the next shot but you can kill the cue ball and it will react as if you were more straight in.

RedHell
09-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Gotcha...

Thanks Fred... I'll mess around with it tonight. I just couldn't figure out what spin to put on. I got the inside english but when he talks about the back rail I got confused. Foot rail would have cleared it up for me.

Keith McCready
09-03-2003, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>Is there anyone (or Keith himself) that can explain how this is played and what the CB is suppose to do.<hr /></blockquote>

RedHell, some folks, when trying to execute an inside-kill shot, use only inside english. To execute this shot, stroke downward on the cue-ball, stroking all the way through the cue-ball with a little bit of snap in your wrist. It seems like you are going to hit the cue-ball harder, but actually you are hitting it with sort of a drag stroke.

The "feels" have to do with how you hold the cue stick in your hand. I elevate the butt end of the cue stick as I am stroking downward on the cue-ball.

It is helpful to practice this shot at shorter distances. Practice using more cut on the object ball with more inside english. When you start missing, you will be able to start "feeling" this shot a little bit better until you find it. In the process, you will develop your own "feel" of what is comfortable, how tight or loose you are holding your cue stick.

The "back rail" refers to the end rail, shown in the diagram.

This is an important shot to know when it is the ONLY way you can get position. This is why it is called the inside-kill shot. You are deadening the cue-ball after it makes contact with the object ball to get position for your next shot.

Hope this helps, RedHell. Everybody has a hard time with this shot. Even the pros have difficulty in executing the inside-kill shot. Folks will usually go around the table to get position because they are not confident or don't know how to execute a dipsy-do successfully.

Earthquake

RedHell
09-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks for taking the time to respond Keith, it's greatly appreciated. I played a bit with it yesterday, but was rapidly disturb by someone who wanted a game. I'll make sure I introduce this shot in my session practice. I don't expect to make it, but with work, it will come....

Just like playing lefty, I realise yesterday that I could save a lot of stretching and miscue if I just learned to be comfortable playing lefty. The guy I was playing was switching like there was nothing to it. As I saw that, I started thinking that it shouldn't take too long to, at least, get comfortable for the basic shots.

Again, Thanks...

Keith McCready
09-04-2003, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>I don't expect to make it, but with work, it will come...Just like playing lefty, I realise yesterday that I could save a lot of stretching and miscue if I just learned to be comfortable playing lefty.<hr /></blockquote>

The dipsy-do shot will become easier with practice.

In order to shoot left-handed, you need to develop strength in your left hand and your bridge hand. Practice using a tighter grip on your left hand, and when you place your right hand on the table, it will seem awkward at first, but as you place your fingers on the shaft to form a bridge, the more balls you hit, the grip will get stronger.

Try to hit the balls a little harder than usual, so you can develop the added strength needed. When you are able to draw the cue-ball or stroke the cue-ball with force-follow left-handed, that means it is starting to work. Again, practice these shots at shorter distances.

Earthquake

RedHell
09-04-2003, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr>
Practice using a tighter grip on your left hand, and when you place your right hand on the table, it will seem awkward at first, but as you place your fingers on the shaft to form a bridge, the more balls you hit, the grip will get stronger.
Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

Exactly ! That's pretty much what I expect. I changed my break this summer. I was using a closed (loop) bridge when breaking from the side rail. I kept bouncing the QB off the table because the angle of the cue was to steep. I changed my bridge to a flat bridge. The cue is now between my index and my major fingers with my thumb folded under my hand. That felt very awkward at first, but after maybe a week or two it started feeling very strong and comfortable. That allowed me to concentrate more on my aim than cue angle and my tip contact on the cue ball, wich in fact translated in loosing up my back hand, addind the fact that I stopped to hit the QB and I now throw the cue thru the QB, I greatly improved my break.

The secret remains, pratice, pratice, practice.

Thanks again.