PDA

View Full Version : The Masters! Attn: CCB readers/Charleston, SC

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 01:20 AM
As I was walking across Augusta National this afternoon, enjoying sunshine and 80 degree weather, on argueably the world's most beautiful golf course...I thought to myself, I'm headed to Charleston...why not post another thread? So, if you live in the Charleston, SC area and are interested in a lesson, please email me. I will be in the area for the 2-3 days.

Scott Lee

Here is an unsolicited testamonial from just one SC student:

Scott Lee has got to be one of the finest pool instuctors in the country. He has a simple way of teaching, which most everyone should be able to understand, and if followed, should help improve their games. I attended his 4 hour instructional entertaining show at USC's Russell House given for the the students there. He had some of them pocketing balls and stroking with a correct bridge so quickly that you could see them improving their game and liking it within minutes. Even for those of us who have been playing pool for years, his way of teaching brings new meaning to how the game is played. (I never realized how important is is to really UNDERSTAND the "diamond system" for banking and kicking balls until he showed it last week.) I, for one, am sure that the 1-1/2 hour critique/instruction I received here in Columbia,SC from Scott on the following day of his show is going to make MY GAME improve considerably. I HIGHLY recommend this man and his method of teaching on how to play the game of pool. And, I look forward to working with him again in the Fall.

Thanks Scott!

Ron Chapiesky in SC

Rod
04-09-2002, 01:44 AM
Well Scott you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be watching the masters. How did you get on that course? I am definately jealous. Pool will take a distant second place this week. Holly or # 18 will make the finish more interesting, especially if the scores are close. I like most of the changes, and it should be interesting.
Enjoy your stay, you lucky dog.

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 01:51 AM
Rod...I only got to go TODAY, to one of the practice rounds! LOL Even with MY connections, it's hard to get tournament day tickets (although I have been lucky several times...not this year!). So, I decided to come here to Charleston and teach some, for a few days! LOL

Scott

04-09-2002, 02:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> As I was walking across Augusta National this afternoon, enjoying sunshine and 80 degree weather, on argueably the world's most beautiful golf course...I thought to myself, I'm headed to Charleston...why not post another thread? So, if you live in the Charleston, SC area and are interested in a lesson, please email me. I will be in the area for the 2-3 days.

Scott Lee

<hr></blockquote>

As this fellow travels the country, we will be graced with his every move and thrifty sales techniques?How nice.

Question : Why not post your agenda on YOUR website where it's most appropriate to hawk your business?

$$$ ?

This is truly sad imo.Flame me if you choose but what happens when any and all feel that it's very okay to sell here constantly?

Rich R.
04-09-2002, 05:53 AM
Complain, if you must, who ever you are, but Scott shares a lot of valuable information on this board. I think the least we can do in return, is allow him to mention what city he is visiting.
Rich R.~~~I will be in Baltimore tonight.

rackmup
04-09-2002, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>As I was walking across Wal-Mart's parking lot this afternoon, enjoying a Miller Lite and new boxer briefs, in argueably the world's largest mobile home community...I thought to myself, I'm headed to Charleston...why not post another thread? So, if you live in the Charleston, SC area and are interested in a screen name, please email me. I will be in the area for the 2-3 days.

Sincerely,

Skip Tracer

Here is an unsolicited testamonial from just one S.T. student:

Skip Tracer has got to be one of the finest screen name providers in the country. He has a simple way of labeling each student with an appropriate name, which most everyone should enjoy and respect, and if utilized when posting on message boards, should help prevent other posters from calling "anonymous" posters, "cowards", "uncredible", etc. I attended his screen name seminar at "Message Posters Anonymous", given at the "Fleetwood Manufactured Homes Community College" for the former nameless people there. He had some of them spelling their new name and typing it proudly with correct spelling so quickly that you could see them improving their literary skills immediately. Even for those of us who have been posting messages for years, his way of "name-tagging" brings new meaning to how posts should be written. (I never realized how important is to have a name until the first time someone called me by it. No more am I referred to as the "faceless, nameless coward.") I, for one, am sure that the 1-1/2 hour spelling class I received here in Columbia, SC from Skip on the following day of his seminar is going to make MY POSTS improve considerably. I HIGHLY recommend this man and his method of teaching on how to properly "step up to the plate and be a MAN." And, I look forward to working with him again in the Fall on my math skills and his new seminar on "how to tie new trailer draperies into the overall hillbilly decorating scheme.

Thanks Skip!

Rip Chapstick in SC<hr></blockquote>

I agree that Scott has helped a lot of us here with his insight into the game. I believe that his information, that is given here at no cost to anyone and his knowledge of the game, earns him the right to mention where he is headed and to put his "availability" out to those who are interested.

I also agree that unsolicited posts from "anonymous" posters are not needed in this, or any other forum. If Mr. Lee has the courtesy to post his name, you should do the same if you expect your opinion to be considered valid.

IMHO.

Regards,

Ken (anonymous to no one)

Q-guy
04-09-2002, 07:09 AM
No one is going to flame you. You are entitled to your opinion. I hope you are not going to repeat it 35 more times though.

Brady_Behrman
04-09-2002, 07:30 AM
My dad and his friends left for augusta on sunday in a winnebago.

Brady

SpiderMan
04-09-2002, 09:22 AM
Scott,

If I were in SC with a little time on my hands, I'd be tempted to visit with Grady Mathews. His web site states that he is available for private instruction. Maybe you'd also have a chance to have your picture taken with him.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 09:33 AM
Spiderman...Grady is a longtime friend of mine, and certainly has a lot to offer in terms of pool information, as well!

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Anon,

I only wish you could hook up with Scott once. Maybe you might change your mind about "solitcitation" to "opportunity"

I have enjoyed Scott's company at no cost and he has always been a true gentleman and great person to boot.

My opinion of his ambassadorship for the game of pool is a lot better than yours.

If you ever get a chance to visit with Scott, please let us know about your experience.

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 10:12 AM
Thanks Tom! I have to say that I do feel somewhat strange doing this "blatant solicitation" here, among my friends and colleagues. However, it was such a positive experience in Atlanta, where I was able to meet with and help SEVERAL new students (of all abilities), who otherwise would not have had any opportunity to contact me. The immediacy of this board (i.e.: nearly 300 hits in 12 hrs) points to it being the best way to put out information to a lot of readers at once. Yes, I agree that I would like to post my schedule on 'my' website. Several things prevent that from being realistic at this time. First, it is NOT my site...
Tony Jones has generously provided me with a page on HIS site, but I am free to post anything there I choose. The problem is that I can't get into to the site to make additions or changes, and Tony is plenty busy running his own business. Second, my schedule has the potential to change from day to day, let alone week to week...making necessary, the updating of information on an immediate basis. However...I try to go along with the general consensus of the feelings of the CCB members. If you feel that I should NOT post my whereabouts here, I will certainly
refrain from doing so!

Scott Lee

stickman
04-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Thank goodness for your posts. The opportunity for me to get truly professional instruction would probably never come my way otherwise. I couldn't afford to go to one of the schools, and the possibility of anyone else coming to my home town to offer me instruction has to be about the same chances of me winning the lotto. Thank you, Scott.

04-09-2002, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Thanks Tom! I have to say that I do feel somewhat strange doing this "blatant solicitation" here, among my friends and colleagues. However, it was such a positive experience in Atlanta, where I was able to meet with and help SEVERAL new students (of all abilities), who otherwise would not have had any opportunity to contact me. The immediacy of this board (i.e.: nearly 300 hits in 12 hrs) points to it being the best way to put out information to a lot of readers at once. Yes, I agree that I would like to post my schedule on 'my' website. Several things prevent that from being realistic at this time. First, it is NOT my site...
Tony Jones has generously provided me with a page on HIS site, but I am free to post anything there I choose. The problem is that I can't get into to the site to make additions or changes, and Tony is plenty busy running his own business. Second, my schedule has the potential to change from day to day, let alone week to week...making necessary, the updating of information on an immediate basis. However...I try to go along with the general consensus of the feelings of the CCB members. If you feel that I should NOT post my whereabouts here, I will certainly
refrain from doing so!

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.

Why are there rules?

Since I am in the minority,let me make a suggestion.

As I was walking across Augusta National this afternoon, enjoying sunshine and 80 degree weather, on argueably the world's most beautiful golf course...I thought to myself, I'm headed to Charleston...why not post another thread? So, if you live in the Charleston, SC area please email me. I will be in the area for the 2-3 days.

Scott Lee
College of Pool Knowledge

04-09-2002, 03:01 PM
So, Mr. Anonymous...What exactly is it that turns your crank the wrong way. Is the fact that I teach pool for a living, travel the entire country, and offer information to ANYONE asking for it (whether they choose to pay me OR NOT)? What if I just said "free pool instructional info...email me!"...would THAT still be blatant solicitation in your eye? When I offer info here on the CCB, how is that different that when I do the same thing to someone in person (whether they pay me or not, is not the issue).

Scott Lee

04-09-2002, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> So, Mr. Anonymous...What exactly is it that turns your crank the wrong way.

It's the fact that you feel you're immune from regular business expenses like everyone one who is an entrepenuer.

Is the fact that I teach pool for a living, travel the entire country, and offer information to ANYONE asking for it (whether they choose to pay me OR NOT)? What if I just said "free pool instructional info...email me!"...would THAT still be blatant solicitation in your eye?

No sir,that would be quite admirable as a matter of fact.If this is what you are doing then I owe you a public apology.

When I offer info here on the CCB, how is that different that when I do the same thing to someone in person (whether they pay me or not, is not the issue).

It is EXACTLY the issue.You are asking for money in exchange for your services thru this forum, are you not?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Scott,

I am for you posting anything you want to on this board. You have earned the right to, IMO and probably a lot of other's opinions.

Please continue to post your travel plans as you feel appropiate. I will always be watching for you when you pass thru Cincinnati..

Keep the Spare tire checked..

rackmup
04-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Mr. Anonymous (or do you just go by "Anonymous", "Mr. Mous", "Anony" or some other unknown moniker?),

I see your point. If I were to advertise a cue, complete with description, price, a means of contacting me, etc., I too, might have a problem.

But that isn't the case here. Please read the quote that has you in such an uproar:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>As I was walking across Augusta National this afternoon, enjoying sunshine and 80 degree weather, on argueably the world's most beautiful golf course...I thought to myself, I'm headed to Charleston...why not post another thread? So, if you live in the Charleston, SC area and are interested in a lesson, please email me. I will be in the area for the 2-3 days.

Scott Lee
<hr></blockquote>

No price list. No dollar signs.

What Mr. Lee has done is no different than if I told you I was going to be "in your neighborhood and I have a few cues I need to unload." In fact, THAT is more of a solicitation for business than his post is!

Additionally, if I were again, coming to your hometown, and asked for the names and methods of contacting those that "have some money to gamble", is that okay? Or is it a solicitation that might earn some money for me?

Just asking you to think about it (and maybe post your name so that you have some credibility on a board that respects someone that signs his/her name to their opinions.)

Regards,

Ken (has some rich oil producing land for sale in Texas and ocean front property in Arizona for sale really cheap)

SPetty
04-09-2002, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.

Why are there rules?
<hr></blockquote>

Hi Anon,
Since we're quoting FAQs, how about this one:

Why should I register a Username?

By registering a Username, you will be able to edit your profile and preferences. You will get the most out of your time here if you change your profile to suit your individual tastes. There are alot of options in your profile to make your experience here more enjoyable, so please take a few moments to try the various settings. Also only people with registered Usernames can take advantage of the "New Posts" feature upon each visit.

04-09-2002, 05:42 PM
I will be in Chelmsford,MA from 4/13 - 4/21 Jim R.

SpiderMan
04-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Scott,

I'd like to meet him. I have one of his tapes, the one that appears to have been produced informally in a poolroom, complete with background noise and patrons walking back and forth. Really crude production, but outstanding content. Read his book this weekend - again, not highly organized but chock full of poolroom lore and some great pictures from his personal collection. I actually remember Buddy Hall looking like that picture from the '70s, back when he worked with Bob Meucci in Memphis and hung out at the Golden Cue on Winchester (before all the owners went to jail). How approachable is Grady in "real life"? One of these days I'll be in Spartanburg visiting some old friends....

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Spiderman...Grady is a longtime friend of mine, and certainly has a lot to offer in terms of pool information, as well!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Spidy
Grady is very approachable. I have had the pleasure of his company on more than one occasion. He is a great stroy teller and use to smoke a pack of cigs in 2 hours. Now he's quit and is even more hyper.. but still tells those great stories... if you get a chance to read "Bet High, Kiss Low" do so.. not a prize winner, but a good pool read.

Rod
04-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Spiderman,
Grady was out here a few months ago putting on a seminar and giving lessons, sorry Grady I didn't come. I think I've have seen the tape you are refering to. It is in a small pool room as I recall. It's the only instructional tape I've ever watched. There is one shot, well maby 2 in there that I had never seen. It's pretty slick and works well on new cloth. I am able to make it, but it's rare if it comes up in a game. After a few years I'm still waiting!

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 06:36 PM
Spiderman...That video was shot in Grady's poolroom in Colorado Springs in the late 60's or early 70's...hence the not-so-great production. Grady, in real life, I have found, to be very approachable, and most of the time a gentleman. Like most poolplayers, he certainly has skeletons in his closet!

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 06:59 PM
Anonymous...Well, at least you OFFER an apology! If you'll note, I never mention anything about $$$ in my "ads"...only the opportunity to learn more about the game we all love. I teach any and all who show interest (yes, I would even consider working with YOU at no obligation...if I knew who you were! LOL)...money is NOT the issue...learning is! For those that choose to pay me for one-on-one instruction, with videotape, that is their business, not yours. Here is a perfect example, fresh from last week in Atlanta...a young man contacted me from the CCB, asking about lessons. He had JUST returned from a 3-day course at a prominent BCA Master Academy, where he had learned with several other CCB'ers. He was concerned that what I had to offer might be a rehash of what he had seen down there. I told him to meet me anyway, with NO obligation, and if he thought it was all review, we would just shake hands. After 2 hrs, this man couldn't believe the things that he either had missed, or had not been presented, during his 3 days of intensive training. I am also not a clock-watcher! I ended up spending 5 hrs with this young man (we closed the poolroom down), yet he insisted on paying me for the two hours we talked about. To me, teaching pool is NOT about the money...it IS about more people learning to play the game that I love, and play it WELL! It's that DESIRE that piques my interest...whether I see someone struggling by themselves on a table in a poolroom; or someone who looks for information on an internet discussion board. Another Atlanta man contacted me the same way, and really wanted a lesson, but was upfront about the fact that money was tight. I told him that was NOT a problem, and when and where to meet me. We spent well over an hour together, giving him some much needed direction...with never a thought to "getting paid"! So, although some choose to pay me to teach them, the offer remains open to ANYONE, to learn how to play better pool anytime, anywhere I am available...at no cost!

Scott Lee

Rod
04-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Scott, I thought it was done in that room. I saw it years ago and it was a small room. Did he have hair then? lol sorry I couldn't resist.

Rod
04-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Are we going to be graced with your opinion when Scott tells us where his travels, on the CCB? Who elected you to police the CCB? You take up more bandwidth being a public nuisance creating several posts to every one of his. This board is about sharing information, have you tried that lately? If you have no one would know because you prefer to be Anon for some reason? You have stated your opinion lets move on.

EZMark
04-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Scott I do think you are lucky to be at the Masters. I have read several of your posts,rather interesting, I must add if you are ever in Southern California contact me through my email I will help you out an put you in my pool hall thank you for devoting so much to pool. We need more people in our game with your devotion. Thnx EZMark

SpiderMan
04-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Tom,

I read it this past weekend.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Spidy
Grady is very approachable. I have had the pleasure of his company on more than one occasion. He is a great stroy teller and use to smoke a pack of cigs in 2 hours. Now he's quit and is even more hyper.. but still tells those great stories... if you get a chance to read "Bet High, Kiss Low" do so.. not a prize winner, but a good pool read. <hr></blockquote>

Ken
04-09-2002, 09:08 PM
I will be there. Would you like some lessons? You pay me or I pay you. I'll need the 5 and out.
Ken in CT

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 09:09 PM
EZMark...As luck would have it, I will be in S. CA very soon...from 5/1 through 5/15. Email me, and I will contact you by phone.

Scott Lee

Ken
04-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Here are the "Board Rules" Mr. A. Which paragraph do your posts fit into?

"This bulletin board service allows you and other users to POST INFORMATION, provide feedback to Billiards Digest and its affiliates, and interact in real-time.

By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, ABUSIVE, HARASSING, DEFAMATORY, vulgar, obscene, profane, HATEFUL, racially, ethnically or otherwise OBJECTIONABLE material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law."

Why not quote the official "Board Rules"? Don't they suit your purposes? Scott Lee posts information as to where he is appearing. Everyone (except you it seems) already knew that he gives lessons.
Ken in CT

JimS
04-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Scott drove from Chicago to Galesburg, 4 hours each way, just to meet and play pool with CC and I. During that 11 hours of pool he offered me several unsolicited suggestions to improve my play. AND HE WAS FUN! Thanks Scott!

You have my permission to post as you please. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

rackmup
04-09-2002, 11:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, ABUSIVE, HARASSING, DEFAMATORY, vulgar, obscene, profane, HATEFUL, racially, ethnically or otherwise OBJECTIONABLE<hr></blockquote>

Um...I may have broken a few of these rules in the past. I'm sorry.

Regards,

Ken (always inflammatory but never racially biased)

04-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Scott has posted here forever. He has a highly unique, simple way of teaching. For those of us who have benefitted from his teaching ability it is an important way of keeping track of him so we may make apointments with him when he is in our area. He usually just states his wherabouts and his pending destinations. That is hardly blatant solicitaton. He gets all the positive ink he needs through the posters on this board whose respect he has earned.

04-12-2002, 02:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Anonymous...Well, at least you OFFER an apology!

-and a sincere one if your motives are money free-

(yes, I would even consider working with YOU at no obligation...if I knew who you were! LOL)

-my game needs alot of work but thank you anyways-

Here is a perfect example, fresh from last week in Atlanta...a young man contacted me from the CCB, asking about lessons. He had JUST returned from a 3-day course at a prominent BCA Master Academy, where he had learned with several other CCB'ers. He was concerned that what I had to offer might be a rehash of what he had seen down there. I told him to meet me anyway, with NO obligation, and if he thought it was all review, we would just shake hands. After 2 hrs, this man couldn't believe the things that he either had missed, or had not been presented, during his 3 days of intensive training

-well since you brought it up,you're saying that you have more to offer than this master academy?-

To me, teaching pool is NOT about the money

-Well to be honest,I have my doubts but I commend you none the less.Keep up the good work Mr. Lee,you're a credit to the game-

-Just curious,have you ever posted without something being capitalized and/or LOL?-

04-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Anonymous...I would never dream of implying that my teaching methods are superior to ANY Master Instructors...
just that apparently this student picked up some information from me that he had not picked up on during his visit to the pool school (that doesn't mean they didn't necessarily cover it...just that he got a clearer understanding during our session). It could be as simple as reinforcement...the 2nd time he understood it better!
As instructors, it is our job to be able to communicate ideas on several different levels (i.e.: you need to use different words to teach a child than an adult, but the concept is essentially the same), and to make certain that our students clearly understand the concepts we are trying to teach them. The LAST thing I want from a student is lip service that they understand what I am teaching, only to have them say the next day, "what the heck was he talking about?" About LOL...I like to laugh...A LOT! It keeps me happy and young. About capital letters...they imply extra emphasis, when needed!...and NO, I rarely, if EVER, post without using some capitalized words! LOL BTW, thank you for the sincere apology! Part of being human is being able to admit when you make a mistake (and I have made PLENTY myself)!

Scott Lee