PDA

View Full Version : Is there an official light height off the table?

SRAlford
09-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Hi,
Is there an official or standard height to hang lights above the table surface? My light is a basic 3 lamp fixture.
Thanks!

Barbara
09-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Mike Shamos addresses this situation in his book, "Billiards Encyclopedia". You can find it at a Barnes and Noble or Borders book shop.

Barbara

SRAlford
09-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm trying to hang my light right now and would love to get some suggestions - without having to wait 3-4 weeks for a book to be delivered.

Anyone? How high is your light off your own table?
Thanks!

Rod
09-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Set the height at 32 inches. I'm sure that is within specs.

Rod

Barbara
09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
From the bulb to the table, my light's distance is 33". It should probably be 31".

But the height isn't all that matters. Mike suggests that the brightness of the lights reach 600 lumens on the table surface, IIRC. You'll need a light meter to measure the brightness.

Barbara

bolo
09-04-2003, 10:49 AM
I don't think there is a rule, but with the light centered, adjust the light up and down trying to get the best light coverage on the table. You want the light on the table and not all over the floor. You have to be the judge of what it the optimum you can get out of the fixture you have chosen to use. I have a 6 foot 4 strip fixture over my table, (a 9 foot GC). It seems perfect. 4 foot I think is too short and an 8 foot is not necessary to get complete coverage. The bulbs for a 6 foot cost more but they last a very long time so no big deal. By the way, what kind of fixture are you trying to install?

Fred Agnir
09-04-2003, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRAlford:</font><hr> Hi,
Is there an official or standard height to hang lights above the table surface? My light is a basic 3 lamp fixture.
Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

This question is probably asked in various way twice a year, without a great answer. That's because... the answer is tough. It all depends on the lamps and the diffusing.

Is there a specification for light intensity for pool tables? There should be, IMO. International Carom rules has a spec. 560 lumens according to Bob Jewett.

If you want to prevent bonking your head or stick, I'd say about 4 ft. above the bed. But that would need a powerful light to have the lumens necessary. Greg Sullivan should correct me, but I think I read somewhere that the Diamond Table Light is meant to go 8o" off the floor. That's about 50" above the bed. Sounds reasonable, as long as you have diffused light like the Diamond Fixture.

Anyway, that's my way of muddying up the waters.

Fred &lt;~~~ lights? what lights?

NBC-BOB
09-04-2003, 11:33 AM
I do seem to recall seeing this in the BCA rule book.I'm at work right now otherwise I would look it up for you.

Fred Agnir
09-04-2003, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NBC-BOB:</font><hr> I do seem to recall seeing this in the BCA rule book.I'm at work right now otherwise I would look it up for you. <hr /></blockquote>I'm at work, where I keep three or four rulebooks, including the present year. Doesn't everybody?

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't see any lighting specs.

bolo
09-04-2003, 11:52 AM
There may be guide lines but it would be impossible to in-force. I have played in tournaments with a light you could hit you head on, to one tournament in Vegas where the lights were spot lights about 30 feet above the table. I played on a televised match where the lights were so blinding it effected your play. You had to be very careful where you looked because of the lights. Might be nice if there were some kind of standard.

RedHell
09-04-2003, 12:05 PM
I just check the BCA Equipement specification on their website and there's no specs for lightning...

Bolo, a lumen standard would be pretty easy to in-force (SIC)...

bolo
09-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Maybe in general, but for TV, or even accu sats, they have a lot of light. There should be some kind of standard though. I remember being at a Straight pool tournament, I think the US Open, and the tables were set up by Murray (junk). They also donated the lighting. 4 foot 2 strip fixtures ( worse then most bars). Crane said he could not see a thing. It was awful.

Alfie
09-04-2003, 04:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRAlford:</font><hr>Is there an official or standard height to hang lights above the table surface? My light is a basic 3 lamp fixture.<hr /></blockquote>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=jDF_9.19083%24%2512.8282%40news.bellso uth.net

John in NH
09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi,

I recently hung a diamond pro light fixture, according to the specifications provided, the light should be 79 inches from the floor to the bottom of the light fixture and 48 inches from the bed of the table to the bottom of the light fixture.

The light has 4 four foot flourescent light bulbs.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

John

griffith_d
09-04-2003, 09:09 PM
For me, since I am over 6 feet, I like them a little higher than normal(whatever that is), but low enough so as not to blind you when you bend over for a shot,....and of course everything depends on table size, number of lights, lumens of the bulbs, if they are fluorescent or incandescent.

Griff