PDA

View Full Version : looking for first cue. I have 400-600 to spend.

SicShift
09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
I posted earlier about a Meucci and found a lot of negative stuff about them. I searched the past 15 pages of this board but didn't find much of what I was looking for.

I'm looking for my first cue and looking to spend about $400-$600. I've heard good stuff about Pechauer and would be interested in a Schon if I could find one cheap enough.

Thanks for your advice.

Rich R.
09-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Although there are certainly many choices, Pechauer makes excellent cues in your price range. A Pechauer would not be a bad choice.

It would be great if you could find a dealer, near you, where you could hit balls with a number of cues, to help you make a choice. After all, the best cue for you, is the one that feels best in your hands. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

smoovestroke
09-04-2003, 05:35 PM
I have a Pechaur and love it! Other cues that are good:
Jacoby
Schon
McDermott

griffith_d
09-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I have a Pechauer IV-2 from Seyberts,..it is a great hitting cue. I changed the joint to a black implex and changed the handle to an ebony no wrap. I prefer no wrap,...it just seems to feel better in the handle,..kind of a less dull feel,..it seems to have more feedback,..IMO.

Griff

supercueman
09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
All the cues mentioned are good... For the $400.-$600 range you can get a custom cue made .... GLUE AND SCREW together... You can try Pete Ohman(Omen cues) Florida or Jim Buss in St.Louie or Scott Whisler in Mesa, Arizona, they all make a great cue and they will last a life time...

Supercueman

MikeJanis
09-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

Ralph S.
09-05-2003, 01:53 AM
I dont know how backed up he is, but try sending Jerry <also known as Blackheart on CCB> an email. He makes great cues for a very affordable price. You can get his email addy off of the user list.

AndyG
09-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Mike, Does it bother you a little bit to recommend to prospective cue buyers that they go to the local pro shop to try out cues and then buy off the internet? Aren't these local pro shops usually located in a poolroom and is it true that many of these rooms support your tour?
AndyG

jjinfla
09-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Quote Mike Janis: Try a Viking Cue. Go to a local pro-shop and ask to hit a few balls with one. Compare it to as many other brands as you would like. I think you will find the desired hit, quality and style you are looking for.

I also recomend that you play with any cue before you buy it. Try as many knds as you can find. Somewhere along the line you will fall in love with one.

After you try the cues look on the internet for a distributor
_______
Mike, how could you????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That is one of the biggest problems our local pool room supplier has. People come in to look at cues he has on display, want to try them out, and then go to Ebay to buy them. A good way to put the local guy out of business.

I suggest the guy check out his local cue maker and try and work with him. Or go to AZbilliards.com and talk to the suppliers that post there.

Just remember that Archer plays with one of his own $200 cues.

But from what I have heard, Pechauer makes a very good cue, considered to be the next step up from Joss, Lucasi. But they all have quite a price range from model to model.

The most expensive cue still won't make me play like a pro.

Jake

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SicShift:</font><hr>
I'm looking for my first cue and looking to spend about $400-$600. <hr /></blockquote>Handwaving to follow:

If it's your first cue, I'd tell you to drop your spending range to 300-400 and buy a Joss cue. And I'd tell you to buy it from Greg Savoie at the Billiard Warehouse (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/joss/joss_pool_cues.htm)

Fred

Pizza Bob
09-05-2003, 07:57 AM
All good advice (although some have vested interests - I don't doubt their sincerity). A plain custom would be my choice. If you live near Chesapeake, VA or Chicago, IL you may want to visit the U.S. Open and/or the Mid-West Expo where many custom cuemakers will be in attendance. It will give you the opportunity to hit with several different cues before making a selection. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TomBrooklyn
09-05-2003, 09:59 AM
I'd recommend getting a cue that you like the feel of from any mainstream quality manufacturer. Someone else's favorite cuestick may be one you don't particularly like the feel of. If your not sure what feels good to you, I'd recommend buying the least expensive cue of reasonable quality you can find. Then, if you around pool halls and cue shops and other players who have their own cues long enough, you can try others out. You may eventually find something you like more than what you have. When that happens, you will know it. You won't have to guess. What others like will be of secondary importance. The main thing you may want to ask others about are quality issues. The playability of it rests only in your hands. I have an inexpensive sneaky pete that feels as good to me or better than numerous other cues I've tried that cost many times the price.

If you want to buy a cue based on how it looks rather than how it feels I have no suggestions for you. But good luck and don't be shocked if it turns out you don't like it too much after you start using it. You take a chance when you buy a cue you haven't tried out first.

TomBk

TomBrooklyn
09-05-2003, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeJanis:</font><hr> Post deleted by ccb_admin_2 <hr /></blockquote>I see it's no longer OK anymore for people to have their own opinions and to just let others disagree with them in open discussion if they wish to. We now have the benefit of having the management of this forum decide which opinions, ideas and life choices are acceptable and which are not, and deleting those they deem unacceptable. Or perhaps the new policy is to just delete those that are unpopular with a majority of other users. This will put the minorities where they belong: right out on their ear!

Now I know I when I come here, everything I read will be sanitized, edited, and approved by some pleasant bureaucrat. I won't have to be confronted with the realization that not all people think alike. That gives me a real warm and fuzzy feeling.

Welcome to the new, improved CCB forum.

TomBk

MikeJanis
09-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Let me clarify my statement about trying the cue at a local pro shop and then checking out the internet....

How I meant it to read was.... After checking out the prices on the net go back to the pro-shop that the cue you are in love with is at and make your best deal with the salesperson there. Most pro-shops will match any other dealers price. They will also provide you with the comfortable feeling of support and service if there are any defects with the cue.

Also, if you are a dealer, you know what the maximum allowable discount anyone can offer as set by the manufacturer.

As far as buying one from me. Well, sorry about the plug. But I carry mostly Viking LTD cues which most of them are not offered in the normal Viking line. So in no way could anyone ever call me and say I saw this cue, model # .... and get it from me because I won't have it in stock. If you want a specific cue from me, you pretty much have to come to one of my events to pick it out. 90% of the cues I get are not shown in any pictures on the net or catalogs.

As far as the admin deleting my post. Well............... I can't say what I really feel but you get my point.

Mj

MikeJanis
09-05-2003, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeJanis:</font><hr> Post deleted by ccb_admin_2 <hr /></blockquote>I see it's not OK anymore for people to have their own opinions and to let others disagree with them in open discussion if they care to. We now have the benefit of having the management of this forum decide which opinions are acceptable and which are not, and deleting those they deem unacceptable. Or perhaps the new policy is to delete those that are unpopular with a majority of other users.

How nice. Now I know I when I come here, what I read will be sanitized, edited, and approved by some unknown overseer so I won't have to think about anything that I might disagree with. That gives me a real warm and fuzzy feeling.

Welcome to the new, improved CCB forum.

TomBk <hr /></blockquote>

I agree comletely with you on that one. But did you also know that the Admin doesn't want people to promote the sponsors of pool tournaments. I was asked/told to not post the names and web links of the companies that support my tour. I could post the coming events but not the sponsors.

I just don't get it. A billiard company "BD" that relies on advertisers and supporters/subscribers for thier livelyhood not wanting to promote the sponsors of the sport.

Sorry for getting off topic but what do think about that?

Mj

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>

......We now have the benefit of having the management of this forum decide which opinions are acceptable and which are not, and deleting those they deem unacceptable. Or perhaps the new policy is to delete those that are unpopular with a majority of other users.....<hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

I agree wholeheartedly. Of all the people who come on here hawking or promoting this and that, the deletion of Mike's post is rather queer indeed. Especially since Mike is one of the people in this business who is really doing something positive.

The guy wanted a cue in a particular price range. Mike said "I'll make you a good deal". And his post gets deleted. Folderol and Balderdash I say.

But then what do I know. I can't run 3 friggin' balls.

Iowashark
09-05-2003, 10:48 AM
In my experience production cues seem to be the way to go. You can buy a fairly inexpensive but nice cue and do certain persolizing improvements to it. Such as tip preference, Predator shaft if you don't like the way the shaft plays. My point being different adjustments can be made to production cues to make them more playable if there's something you don't like.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeJanis:</font><hr>.....what do think about that?
<hr /></blockquote>

Doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they think your promotion of the sponsors equals free advertising and we know magazines do not like free advertising. Maybe. Personally I see no harm in it but then again what do I know. I can't run 3 friggin' balls.

bolo
09-05-2003, 11:04 AM
There are people here that pay good money for banner ad's, it makes prefect sense to me. I think the information you provide about your tournaments is very useful, but I bet there are no publications that give you free space based on being a public service announcement. I can't believe you of all people are complaining. What is the saying, "Give an inch and they take a yard".

MikeJanis
09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> There are people here that pay good money for banner ad's, it makes prefect sense to me. I think the information you provide about your tournaments is very useful, but I bet there are no publications that give you free space based on being a public service announcement. I can't believe you of all people are complaining. What is the saying, "Give an inch and they take a yard". <hr /></blockquote>

Bolo, you are slightly misguided. Let me help.
Many magazines do include sponsors information in event write ups or announcements. I the case of my tour many magazines don't print all my sponsors names at one time. However they will print them all over time. They mostly rotate the names and only give a partial list. Mainly because my sponsors list is abundant and the complete list takes up so much space.

Also, the Viking Tour is sponsored by several magazines. (Inside Pool, Pool &amp; Billiard, National Billiard News and Professor Q-Ball. All of these guys will at one time or another print the entire list of sponsors from my events. They also do it for just about anyone who sends them with an article.

The next time you get to one of my events, pick up some free sample copies from my magazine sponsors and you will see what I mean. Especially the IP and P&amp;B mags next month.

As far as my complaining goes...... Well I just have a hard time getting used to the fact that people actually support companies (buy products) from manufacturers that don't support our sport. Just think about this. What would the prize money in our sport be like if everyone only bought products from the companies that support our sport?

Respectfully,

Mike Janis

Aboo
09-05-2003, 11:53 AM
This simple fact is, that Mike answered his question. And offered him a choice. Thus fulfilling his obligation as a poster. He didn't troll the thread or the board, attacking any post... He just offered his opinion. As did many other folks.

To the original poster, I would suggest a production que from one of many of the fine manufacturer's out there. I personally play with a McDermott. It was very close to your price range, a bit lower. Hopefully, my post won't get deleted for endorsing the clover-leaf...

SicShift
09-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the posts and info people. It's very helpful. As for getting a custom cue, I wouldn't know where to start. Although I certainly don't consider myself a beginner, I have only really played with bar cues all these years. Because of that, the only thing that was up to me was overall weight. I wouldn't know what size tip, joint, wrap etc etc that I prefer over another.

I do see the point of maybe starting with something a bit cheaper just so I can learn what I like in a cue. I'll keep reading posts. I'm going shopping next week for it. I live in Santa Barbara, CA and there is really only 1 or 2 small dealers in town so I don't have much of a selection to actually try out. Maybe I'll drive over to LA and take a look over the weekend.

Thanks again everyone. Pete