PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool rules question

Buckster_uk
09-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Recently started to play 14.1

Just some rules questions...

When you scratch, is it ball in hand anywhere or behind the head string?

When a ball goes in off a scratch or jumps off the table after a foul, do these get spotted? If so, is this the foot spot? What happens if it is covered?

Thanks

Barbara
09-04-2003, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr> Recently started to play 14.1

Just some rules questions...

When you scratch, is it ball in hand anywhere or behind the head string?

<font color="red"> The Cue Ball gets spotted behing the head string.</font color>

When a ball goes in off a scratch or jumps off the table after a foul, do these get spotted? If so, is this the foot spot? What happens if it is covered?

<font color="red"> If a ball goes into a pocket not originally called, or any ball is jumped off the table or a foul is called on the Cue Ball, the player at the table must spot a ball and take one point off his total score</font color>

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

You're welcome,

Barbara

WesK
09-04-2003, 05:37 PM
BIH is behind the head string.

Jumped or illegally potted balls are all spotted. The balls are spotted along the long string starting at the foot spot and working back towards the foot rail and then from the foot spot towards the center of the table.

If the foot spot is blocked, then the ball(s) are spotted on the foot string as near to the appropriate spot as possible. I have added a link below to the BCA's general rules that has a diagram that depicts it much better than I can explain it.

The rules for 14.1 are here: BCA 14.1 Rules (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_141.shtml)

The rules for spotting balls are under the General Rules (Rule 3.32 specifically): BCA General Rules (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml)

Since you are asking, you may want to look at the penalties for 3 fouls, illegal breaks, and what to do when re-racking (there's a chart of what goes where).

For comparison, the WPA rules are here: WPA Rules (http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules.htm)

From the WPA link, I haven't been able to use the link to the rules Word files but I have printed off the rules (2-up and duplexed) which makes for a handy reference to keep in the bag. The WPA rules don't have diagrams though.

wes

beerwolf
09-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Wait a minute, Barbara. Ball in the wrong pocket is a point penalty? I never heard of that. Is that what you meant and are you sure? Don't bother answering; I looked it up: ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS All spotted. No penalty.

BW~~can't remember the last time that happened

Iowashark
09-05-2003, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote beerwolf:</font><hr> Is that what you meant and are you sure? Don't bother answering; I looked it up: ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS All spotted. No penalty.

BW~~can't remember the last time that happened <hr /></blockquote>

I think she was referring to fouls or jumping object balls off the table, not illegally potted balls.

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
<font color="red"> If a ball goes into a pocket not originally called, or any ball is jumped off the table or a foul is called on the Cue Ball, the player at the table must spot a ball and take one point off his total score</font color>

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>I'm having a hard time understanding where the bold-faced portion of your sentence fits.

I think you meant to write something to the effect of "if you foul while pocketing an object ball, the object ball gets spotted, and you lose a point off of your running total."

Obviously, you don't spot a ball if you commit a cueball foul in straight pool.

Fred

Barbara
09-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Whoops! I did not think that one through, Fred.

If you pocket a ball in a pocket other than originally called, you lose your turn and must spt that ball. No foul.

The reason why I highlighted that part of the sentence is that in 14.1, all fouls are called, not just CB fouls only.

Barbara

travin
09-05-2003, 09:26 AM
If you scratch the cue ball AND make an object ball in the wrong pocket do you spot one or two balls? Also what points are deducted?

Todd

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote travin:</font><hr> If you scratch the cue ball AND make an object ball in the wrong pocket do you spot one or two balls? Also what points are deducted?

Todd <hr /></blockquote>

Only the ball that was pocketed gets spotted. You take one point off of your running total (not the rack total) as a penalty for scratching.

For history buffs, people have said that the term "scratch" is carried over from days when the penalty for a foul was to scratch a point from your total.

Fred