PDA

View Full Version : Better the Devil you know?

Qtec
09-05-2003, 03:10 AM
If you lberate an oppressed people, does it make sense to reinstall the former security services?
Will the people accept this?

Put yourself in their position. Saddam is gone, there is hope. Then you hear that the thugs that came and took your father, never to be seen again, are not punished for their crimes but are given their old jobs back with the backing of the US.

IMO, this would be a very bad move.

Q

Rumsfield,
[ QUOTE ]
"Mostly what we want is more Iraqi forces," Rumsfeld said. "We want more force protection, more infrastructure protection, more police, more border guards, and that should be done by Iraqis."

The defense secretary said the U.S. military is "looking at ways of accelerating" the process of bringing former members of Saddam's military and possibly his security services into the Iraqi security forces.

The United States formally disbanded the Iraqi military and the intelligence and security services that had supported Saddam's rule. Many who served in those organizations can join the new Iraqi forces, Rumsfeld said.

Iraqi enlisted soldiers and junior officers from lieutenant colonel on down could be eligible to join the new Iraqi army, Rumsfeld said. All will be carefully screened to weed out those with anti-American leanings, he said
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Stop it! Don't make me come over there /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-05-2003, 07:10 AM
"Iraqi enlisted soldiers and junior officers from lieutenant colonel on down could be eligible to join the new Iraqi army, Rumsfeld said. All will be carefully screened to weed out those with anti-American leanings"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh that's just lovely. Here's US who could not even weed out the anti American interests enough to prevent an inside job on the UN complex, now stating that ALL of the new Iraqi soldiers(ex-thugs) will be adequately screened, handed guns and ammo, and sent out to....well, I'd worry like hell if I were a Bagdad citizen...sid~~~thinks we suck at this invading and taking over thing :-(

eg8r
09-05-2003, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh that's just lovely. Here's US who could not even weed out the anti American interests enough to prevent an inside job on the UN complex, <hr /></blockquote> What does an inside job on the UN have to do with Anti-americanism? I think it goes to show that the loyalists are showing they really do not care who they blow up, they do not even mind the fact that it was their fellow men in that building helping gaurd it.

If all the rage of the Saddam Loyalists was purely bottled up because of the actions of the US, then why did they blow up the building of the one organization that tried to stop the US?

eg8r

Aboo
09-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Because they are unable to get online and read genius remarks cut &amp; pasted from anti-government websites and adequately educate themselves on the situation of course! &lt;/sarcasm&gt;