PDA

View Full Version : Valley 8 foot coin-op tables

jjinfla
09-05-2003, 06:15 AM
Why does Valley make their coin-op tables with 4 1/2 inch pockets? And with that heavy, metal filled ball, they are really hard to play.

Since these tables are in bars I would think that they would make the pockets as big a bushel baskets (at least 5 inches) so that all the players would think they were really great players, the games would be fast, and they would collect more quarters.
$1 per game here.

I've heard too many people complain about how hard the tables are and so they won't play on them. How can that be good for business?

In fact the local pool halls here have gone away from the shimmed pockets on the 4 1/2 x 9's. No pros here, so no need for them. And the locals wouldn't play on them. House can't make money if nobody plays on them.

The bar our 9-ball team plays out of has 5 Valleys. Does give our team a decided advantage playing in the tournaments. Especially when the owner puts on that concrete rock called a cue ball. Drives me nuts. Can't draw it, can't slide it, and if not very careful it really throws the OB. Saw an APA 7 miss a one foot ball in hand shot to the side pocket last night. After that miss he kept second guessing himself and missed a bunch of shots. Looked like a 3 or 4. He left talking to himself last night and probably will never be the same again. LOL

Jake

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Why does Valley make their coin-op tables with 4 1/2 inch pockets? And with that heavy, metal filled ball, they are really hard to play.<hr /></blockquote>I don't think this is the norm. In my area, many of the bars have the 8' Valley tables. I don't know of one that doesn't have generous corner pockets.

[ QUOTE ]
Saw an APA 7 miss a one foot ball in hand shot to the side pocket last night. After that miss he kept second guessing himself and missed a bunch of shots. Looked like a 3 or 4. He left talking to himself last night and probably will never be the same again. <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds like you were watching me.

Fred &lt;~~~ muttering

Perk
09-05-2003, 08:35 AM
hmmm...small table, small pockets....still alot easier making balls on these tables. I have a valley 7' bar box, and I like it....but one question? You really think that 4.5 inch pockets are tuff on a barbox?

Double or Triple shim to irritate yourself. I think that 4.5 inch pockets are more than plenty, it seems almost too easy to make balls.

Getting the itch to play some this weekend.

Rod
09-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Jake,

Honestly I've never seen a 8 foot Valley bar table. The ones I'm familiar with is 7 footers. Even there, the small pockets are easy and the c/b is easy to draw or follow. If someone uses the mud ball instead of the Valley ball, that can cause some problems. If it's on an 8 footer distance would make it harder to draw.

I know what you mean though, some equipment gives you fits. Part of the time that is due to conditions, humidity, cloth, c/b, etc.

Rod

jjinfla
09-05-2003, 04:47 PM
It's an 8 footer Rod. I know the installer/owner of the tables and he gave me the dimensions and all. They use the 7 footers in Vegas. I guess just like a 2x4 is not really 2x4 a 4x8 is not really 4x8. But I thought that since these tables are used to generate revenue for the bar then the tables would be easier. A happy customer plays more, drinks more, spends more. And the new bar table cue ball is really nice, it's just that this guy likes to put the old CB's on the tables. After using a regular CB all week it really messes up my mind. I have to keep reminding myself, centerball, centerball; follow, no draw! At least one good thing, there are no long shots. Jake

Rod
09-05-2003, 05:34 PM
One thing for sure Jake, getting the balls in the hole quicker makes money. I have no clue why anyone would make it more difficult an a bar table. Keeping the balls and table clean even makes a difference. Maybe that is the reason he lost the better players. They don't like the conditions.

Rod

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> It's an 8 footer Rod. I know the installer/owner of the tables and he gave me the dimensions and all. They use the 7 footers in Vegas. I guess just like a 2x4 is not really 2x4 a 4x8 is not really 4x8. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. A 4x8 bar table is the same size as a 4x8 regular table. A 7' bar table is slightly bigger than a 7' home table.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Jake,

Honestly I've never seen a 8 foot Valley bar table.<hr /></blockquote>For one reason or another, the bar table/pinball machine/jukebox guy in the Leominster/Fitchburg Mass area fills the bars with the 8' tables.

I've had the pleasure of playing on a 9' Valley bar table, and a 9' Sterling (local table manufacturer) bar table. Both had the slug balls. Nightmare.

Fred