PDA

View Full Version : Your First Cue

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Everytime someone asks about getting a first cue, I am amazed at how many people suggest to get a customized cue. If you all had to do it again, is that the route you'd go? For me, I didn't have a clue of what I liked and didn't like until I tried many cues and cue configurations. And by "try" I mean "tried for months" not for a couple shots here and there. So, I think that going the production route to begin with, and then making more educated and refined choices for custom-ordered cues seemed to be the way to go.

IMO, I think for a guy who's never owned a personal cue to go out and custom order one is nutz. YMMV.

Fred <~~~ also nutz

Voodoo Daddy
09-05-2003, 09:36 AM
My first cue, an Abe Rich "Star Cue" sneaky pete {circa 1979}. I'll never forget it because I gave it to a friend that plays in our room, its still straight as an arrow and super-stiff!!

Carlton31698
09-05-2003, 09:44 AM
I worked at a poolroom in collage. When someone would come in looking for their first cue we would show them the less expensive quality production cues, like the low end ($200 and under) Viking, McDermott, Joss, and Mail. We felt that new players needed to learn what they liked, and make sure they were going to keep playing before they spent a large amount of money. No one’s first cue should be a custom cue because they don’t know what they like in a cue yet.

09-05-2003, 09:45 AM

Rich R.
09-05-2003, 09:58 AM
My first cue was a "custom", but I use the term very loosely. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The cue was made for a friend of mine, by a local part-time cue maker, in northeastern Pa. The joint was a little crooked, but the cue maker turned a shaft to be aligned with the butt. It played fine, but it didn't roll on a table too well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I paid a whopping $20 for the cue. Of course, this was in 1968 or 1969.

After a few months, I purchased my second "custom" cue, from another friend who got himself in a financial jam. The cue was only a week old and was made by the same maker as my first cue. I paid $80 for that cue and I still have it, but it has been retired. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm no expert in buying cues and I probably don't go about it as methodically as most, but I wouldn't change a thing about buying those first two cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, IIRC, I sold that first cue for at least the $20 I paid for it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

<font color="blue">At the risk of sounding like a sycophant, this is an astute observation on your part. </font color>

Everytime someone asks about getting a first cue, I am amazed at how many people suggest to get a customized cue.

<font color="blue">I believe it reflects the established paradigm of folks who live, eat, and breathe pool. Plus it's also easier for the folks here to spend other peoples' money /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

If you all had to do it again, is that the route you'd go?

<font color="blue">Nope. Started with a $60 Orchid. Did not have a clue how to take care of it. Dinged it, carried it around without a case, got drunk and lost it, found it, lost it again etc.... </font color>

For me, I didn't have a clue of what I liked and didn't like until I tried many cues and cue configurations. And by "try" I mean "tried for months" not for a couple shots here and there.

<font color="blue">I probably tried 7 or 8 different production cues before I found one I really liked. </font color>

So, I think that going the production route to begin with, and then making more educated and refined choices for custom-ordered cues seemed to be the way to go.

<font color="blue">yep </font color>

IMO, I think for a guy who's never owned a personal cue to go out and custom order one is nutz. YMMV.

<font color="blue">Depends on his/her budget. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
09-05-2003, 10:54 AM
I'll suggest custom if the person is at a price range where they can get a simple designed custom for the same price as a suggested production stick. If somebody buys a name in a SP and then decides they aren't interested in the sport, then it sells much better, If they do stick with pool then they will learn to appreciate the custom, probably because it plays darn well.

Now, the other suggestion I always have is "Buy yourself am $80 Mali first." If you are going to spend hundreds anyway, go custom and don't look back...sid

TomBrooklyn
09-05-2003, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">At the risk of sounding like a sycophant, this is an astute observation on your part. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>Wally,
I like your style. But after consulting a dictionary, I don't understand your concern as your flattery is directed at Fred.

TomBk
(Who doesn't hesitate to use words he's unsure of.)

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 11:05 AM
syc·o·phant
n.
A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Wally,
I like your style. But after consulting a dictionary, I don't understand your concern as your flattery is directed at Fred.
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">What the hell do I know from words and stuff. I can't run 3 friggin' balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

TomBrooklyn
09-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Opps, sorry. Your usage was perfect. I read the definition wrong and thought it was a self-flatterer. Well said.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Opps, sorry. Your usage was perfect. I read the definition wrong and thought it was a self-flatterer. Well said. <hr /></blockquote>

OK. I thought you were insinuating that Fred was not influential /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
09-05-2003, 11:28 AM
My first cue was a Helmstetter, 12 years old now and no longer in any of the catalogs. I'll be giving that to Pete Ohman or Bob Manzino to restore for me in the future. That cue hits like an absolute dream. As you all know I just now after 12 years got my first custom cue. I'll never play with anything other than a custom from here on out. Doesn't mean I'll never buy another production cue, I probably will but it will be just to have. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
09-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Fred, after all these years.. and you're still amazed? LOL

I believe that you have to learn how to use a "tool" before you can make it work at its best. But, if you have a really good "tool" to begin with, learning just might be easier.

Beginner 'tools' can recover their costs by being used as a break cue, or re-selling them to help upgrade to your new "tool"

Either way, it's the committment to being a better player that really counts. Production or Custom, just don't forget the INSTRUCTION..

SPetty
09-05-2003, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> ...Doesn't mean I'll never buy another production cue, I probably will but it will be just to have. <hr /></blockquote>Because - say it all together now - One Can Never Have Too Many Cues! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Opps, sorry. Your usage was perfect. I read the definition wrong and thought it was a self-flatterer. Well said. <hr /></blockquote>

OK. I thought you were insinuating that Fred was not influential /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote> I thought he meant flattery would get you nowhere with me, which is far from the truth.

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't mind sick elephants

SPetty
09-05-2003, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't mind sick elephants <hr /></blockquote>Unless this is your job:
http://www.timepasstown.com/gallerie/elephant-[censored]-patrol.jpg

BWAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 12:36 PM
you were censored

efelant poopy (http://www.timepasstown.com/gallerie/elephant-[censored]-patrol.jpg)

Rod
09-05-2003, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Everytime someone asks about getting a first cue, I am amazed at how many people suggest to get a customized cue.

Yep so am I.

If you all had to do it again, is that the route you'd go?

Well if I had known about Herman and had the money, well probably not,my $.85 per hour didn't go far.lol

For me, I didn't have a clue of what I liked and didn't like until I tried many cues and cue configurations.

I didn't have a clue either. I tried a number of house cues, hell most of them are worth some bucks now! Only the good players had a 2 peice. Most likely a Brunswick of some sort.

And by "try" I mean "tried for months" not for a couple shots here and there.

yep I tried with a lot of house cues.

So, I think that going the production route to begin with, and then making more educated and refined choices for custom-ordered cues seemed to be the way to go.

So do I but then I didn't have much of a choice. You got to get your feet wet first, screw up a cheaper one or two, then buy a better cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I tend to agree with this statement, but some people have more money than common sense. If they don't know how take care of the cue or it gets damaged; just toss it and buy another.

Fred &lt;~~~ also nutz <hr /></blockquote>

[i]rod, not nutz but managed to do a little damage to the first two production Willie Mosconi cues. I still have a Hoppe, it stood the test but only because of a wise mans advice. We didn't have a cue repair guy on every corner, so I'm sure many cues were lost that could have been repaired.

bluewolf
09-05-2003, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr>
When I first came back to pool after a 25 year lay off, I used the house cues because I was too picky to just order a cue w/o trying it out. After 2 years of this I found my ideal cue. It was front weighted and had a small snooker like butt. I fell in love with this stick, ordered one, and within 2 months I jumped 2 skill levels.

Now I think that Naz and Bluewolf will disagree with you here. They can never have enough pool cues LOL. <hr /></blockquote>

You bet. A person cannot have too many cues although they may run out of cases to put them in.

My first cue was the same type as ww. I literally did not know where to put my hand on the stick. The cue had knobs which helped me to tell where to put my grip. Over time, those knobs irritated me and I got other cues.

It was made by the same company as WW but his shaft warped. I have been trying to convince him that he just needs to get a scruggs and quit trying to stack heavy books on that shaft every night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> you were censored

http://www.timepasstown.com/gallerie/elephant-[censored]-patrol.jpg]efelant poopy<hr /></blockquote>Apparently, so were you.

Fred &lt;~~~ wonders why the censor police are in full force.

eg8r
09-05-2003, 01:52 PM
LOL, I could not stop laughing, as that is how I took it (Fred not being influential) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys, I needed that here at the end of the day.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2003, 02:06 PM
guess i shoulda checked my post ... doh

9 Ball Girl
09-05-2003, 02:12 PM
My first cue was a 21 ounce Dufferin. Way too heavy for my taste now. But I have to agree with Fred, how would you know what you like in a cue if it's your first one? I'd say get an inexpensive one, shoot with it for several months, and go from there.

Wendy~~~has a 10 year old nephew who's the proud owner of a 21oz Dufferin.../ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> My first cue was the same type as ww. <hr /></blockquote>
Would this be the infamous Sceptre Cue?

Fred

bluewolf
09-05-2003, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> My first cue was the same type as ww. <hr /></blockquote>
Would this be the infamous Sceptre Cue?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Yup. It is front weighted but then so are layani and scruggs. It has a thin butt but so does scruggs,layani, and bludsworth for that matter and others too, I imagine.

Sigh!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

bell
09-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Bought an Al Romero SP at HardTimes in Bellflower, CA. Still have it 20 yrs later and straight arrow shoots good with Talisman S. Cue has good history and good karma and still my No 1 bar stick.

Jimmy B
09-05-2003, 04:08 PM
My first cue was a $40 2 pc Valley cue back in 88 and it broke while doing a bad Vince (TCOM) impression. I then saved for months (poor college kid) and went off big on a McDermott ($110) It took me weeks to convince myself that I should spent $110 on a cue, I thought I was crazy. Anyone who knows me now knows how funny that line is. I do agree that the journey is a big part of knowing what you like and want, but when someone wants to spend $200-$400 on their first cue I think it's foolish to buy a fancy Viking or McDermott when for the same money they can get a Scruggs SP or a plane jane from any number of good new cuemakers. Also if you decide pool is for you a good cue can always be used as a break cue and if pool isn't your bag then the resale is great. Also it makes upgrades easier. I'm happy with the way I progressed, but if I knew then what I know now I wish I had some better guidance and would have skipped a few steps. I think it's better for someone to work his way up and try out as many low end cues as he can to learn what he likes and doesn't like, but as far as his budget allows him to jump right into a decent cue I don't think it's bad advice. JB

UWPoolGod
09-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Yeah I have worked my way up the ladder. Started with a Big5 Spalding POS $20 cue. Then went for a blue McDermott. Moved up the production line to a Schon Ltd. Sold it for as much as I paid for it and got a Tim Scruggs sneaky pete. Now I am getting a custom made. Took some pics last night of his ringwork and has it on the wrap handle. good work...PM me if you want me to send you a few pics.

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 06:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> It took me weeks to convince myself that I should spent $110 on a cue, I thought I was crazy. Anyone who knows me now knows how funny that line is. <hr /></blockquote> I think you're crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
but when someone wants to spend $200-$400 on their first cue I think it's foolish to buy a fancy Viking or McDermott when for the same money they can get a Scruggs SP or a plane jane from any number of good new cuemakers. <hr /></blockquote>People always point to the Scruggs SP as if other cuemakers make anything equal. Do they? How many other cuemakers build a real sneaky pete similar to Tim? I've got an SP from a custom maker. It started life as a Valley bar cue. I don't think that's the same as getting a Scruggs SP. Does he still make them?

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the Huebler sneaky petes are tough to beat

Genie
09-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Ah, the trusty Huebler sneaky pete. My break cue. I absolutely love it. Of course my first cue back in college was a Christmas present from my mother who learned that I had fallen in love with the game. She got me a Steve Mizerak special. Hey, it hit straight! I shortly thereafter traded it for a Meucci. Then another Meucci. I now play with a custom, my beautiful Joss West (and my trusty Huebler break cue). I'm all in favor of putting something inexpensive in the hands of a newbie. But if you trust them, let them hit a ball or 2 with your custom cue and get them hooked /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooljunkie73
09-05-2003, 11:27 PM
My first cue was a crappy Dufferin 2 pc. with an ugly green wrap. The aluminium joint siezed up solid on that sucker and i never did get it free'd up.

I think i payed $40(Canadian), so that equals about $3 American. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kent Mc.

Jimmy B
09-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Fred, I know many other cuemakers that make SP's but none play like the Scruggs, the funny thing is Tim hasn't made one for about 8 years, he hasn't been making them for the last 3 years and before that he had a guy in the shop doing it for him. The best chance to get one now is on E-bay, also Tim used to have about 4 different types from real plain to not so plain. But his hit the best IMO and for $230 you couldn't beat it, I wish I bought 25. BTW You may be right I may be crazy (Quote B. Joel) JB

Rich R.
09-06-2003, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I don't think that's the same as getting a Scruggs SP. Does he still make them? <hr /></blockquote>
I believe Timmy stopped making sneaky petes a while back. But you never know, things change.
He may be in the crowd, down at the Open, you could ask if you are interested.

Sid_Vicious
09-06-2003, 08:22 AM
"I fell in love with this stick, ordered one, and within 2 months I jumped 2 skill levels." Quote by WW

People laugh when I say "Must be the stick!" and in general principal the equipment doesn't make the player, I know that it true. Still, when you have a cue that you respect immensely, you play better, a confidence thing maybe but for me the more class inside the making of the cue, the sweeter I seem to slice in balls. Jm2c...sid~~~would own and play with a 50k cue someday if he could, life's to short to resist

Barbara
09-06-2003, 08:25 AM
I love my Ted Harris S/P. It's cocobolo and gorgeous.

Ted makes a great S/P.

Barbara

bluewolf
09-06-2003, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> People always point to the Scruggs SP as if other cuemakers make anything equal. Do they? How many other cuemakers build a real sneaky pete similar to Tim? I've got an SP from a custom maker. It started life as a Valley bar cue. I don't think that's the same as getting a Scruggs SP. Does he still make them?

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the Huebler sneaky petes are tough to beat <hr /></blockquote>

We went up to look at the scruggs cues and to talk to him today.He is only an hour from us. I mentioned to him about the sneaky pete and he said that he does not make them anymore.

Laura

Fred Agnir
09-06-2003, 06:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I believe Timmy stopped making sneaky petes a while back. But you never know, things change.
He may be in the crowd, down at the Open, you could ask if you are interested. <hr /></blockquote> I might just stop by his shop.

Fred

nhp
09-07-2003, 08:14 AM
My first cue was an old Mali, which eventually got warped since I knew nothing about taking care of cues at the time. When I got serious with pool, I bought one of those graphite Eliminator cues (cuetech imitation). After that I met a local cuemaker, and showed me how much a difference in feel there is with a nice wood-to-wood custom cue. That was when I bought my first custom cue, which was a Haber. I kept the graphite cue to break with, and eventually sold it, and bought a nice sneaky pete to break with.

Rich R.
09-07-2003, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I might just stop by his shop.<hr /></blockquote>
Of course, that is always an option, Fred. I didn't know you would be stopping in Baltimore on your way to or from the Open.

I don't know what your traveling schedule is, but I can tell you, Timmy was at the Open last year, on about Thursday or Friday. I don't know if he stayed until the end, because I didn't. You may want to call ahead and verify that he will be there, when you plan to stop.

If you need directions, let me know. If I wasn't going to be at the Open, I would take you there myself.

Brent
09-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone. Well seems like Im the n00b here cuz Im still playing with my first cue. I have been playing pool for about 1.5 years and Im doing very good. My first cue doesnt even have a name..all I know is that its made in Taiwan /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It worth about 60-70$ not more. Its still straight but the shaft has some scratches on it. Started playing in the best league in Estonia this year. The first tournament was today and I did super good compared to some guys. I thought Id just go there and loose bad, but I managed to take the 5-6th place (20 contestant). I even played the 3 time Estonian champion..the game was 9-ball a race to 8 wins...I lost 7-8 :P It was 7-7 and I had the chance to run it to the end from 5 but my hand where shaking too much. My opponent had a 700$ Meucci a breaker and a bunjee jumper...I had my Taiwanese stick and a crooked house-cue for jumping /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So what Im trying to say is that the guy holding the cue makes the dissicions and pots the balls not the custom made cue. Ur all probably thinking that I havent even tryed those super-sweet hitting cues.. well I have some of them. A friend of mine has an expensive Brunswick cue and when I shot with it I wa slike WOW...so soft and smooth. But a few games with my Taiwan stick and I forgot the sweet feeling :P ( collecting money to buy a cheap Lucasi with a 314 shaft)

Regards
Brent