PDA

View Full Version : US Open

Steve Lipsky
09-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Anyone have any information regarding player signups? With less than 10 days to go, we usually have player lists on all the major websites by now. The absence of one has me a little concerned.

Does anyone know who is really running the show right now? I am sure Barry will take things over once the tournament starts, but who's working on making sure the thing comes off right? There must be a bazillion details to work out, and with (apparently) neither Barry or Brady on it... well, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Tom_In_Cincy
09-05-2003, 12:42 PM
I have had a conversation with one of the tournament subs for Barry.
They are expecting somewhere between 195 and 220. There are over 150 signed up already.
I know this is 2nd hand news, but it was from a 'good' source.

Steve Lipsky
09-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the help, Tom!

- Steve

Jimmy B
09-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey Tom how does that 150 (signed up already) stack up with years past at this point (2 weeks off)? JB

Tom_In_Cincy
09-05-2003, 03:52 PM
I would be guessing.... so take this for what it's worth.

All players calling about the signup have been positive. (Except ONE) (according to my resource)

I don't think this year's US Open will be referred to as anohter US Open-Lite..

All UPA members have been granted waivers to play in this year's event.

Steve Lipsky
09-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't you know it... upon opening my mailbox after work, I was the proud recipient of a very professional-looking letter of entry confirmation.

Can't wait to get in that car next Saturday...

- Steve <-- has a pool cue and a dream /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
09-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Way to go Steve, I wish you lots of luck down there!

Rod

Jimmy B
09-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Good Luck Steve. JB

DoomCue
09-05-2003, 07:02 PM
It does look nice - has a nice Q-Masters and Diamond billiards logo on it. I have a small gripe, though. My sponsor paid with a credit card, and he was charged twenty bones for "credit card processing!" What is that all about? Isn't that a little steep?

-djb

Ken
09-05-2003, 07:54 PM
That's what is called a slap in the face. That is not only a "little steep"; it's a lot steep. It's also a shame that an organization like the US Open which depends on the good will of its participants would do something like this.

They probably lose some money when a credit card is used. I don't know how much but it might be 1% or 2% perhaps. I doubt that anything justifies the $20 and certainly not for "processing". The one minute or so that it takes is not that much more than it takes to stamp a check for deposit.

If they are losing some money on credit cards let them be up front about it and explain how much it costs them but not try to make a profit off it.

I don't think Barry adds a surcharge to people who pay for table time or meals with a credit card.
KenCT

Qtec
09-05-2003, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what is called a slap in the face. That is not only a "little steep"; it's a lot steep. <hr /></blockquote>

Over here we call that 'daylight robbery'.

Q

KBuck
09-06-2003, 01:08 AM
It might not be that steep. Here credit cards charge 3 to 4 percent depending on the volume the business processes. i.e. large companies can bargain for a lower rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the entry fee is $500 and $20 is 4% of $500.

Qtec
09-06-2003, 03:45 AM
You are being charged twice for your credit card. I assume you also pay interest till you pay the money back.

What difference is their in service between $50 and $500. Does it take more work, are there more costs involved?
Q

Kato
09-06-2003, 05:54 AM
I'll be sweating Steve Lipsky matches in a couple of weeks.

Go Steve Go!!!!!!!

Kato

stevelomako
09-06-2003, 06:14 AM
The credit card companies take 3-4% from the BUSINESS.
So they would get charged $20 for taking the $500 entry fees by credit card. They dont make the money on the entry fee, Visa will get that.

stevelomako
09-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Also dont forget...the money from the credit card has to come from somewhere till Visa sends their money.

For example: If everyone in the tournament paid by credit card, you would have to wait till that money was credited to an account or you would be writing bad checks. If you were going to pay off in cash where would that come from if everyone paid by credit card?

Rich R.
09-06-2003, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> They probably lose some money when a credit card is used. I don't know how much but it might be 1% or 2% perhaps. I doubt that anything justifies the $20 and certainly not for "processing". <hr /></blockquote>
Ken, bank charges for businesses, to accept credit cards, vary from card to card and bank to bank. It is very possible that the charge could be 1% or 2%, but that would be at the low end. I have also heard of charges as high as 7%, at the high end. The $20 charge, or 4%, would be in the center ground. Not really out of line.

Steve Lipsky
09-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, guys! I'll see y'all in a week or so...

- Steve

Qtec
09-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Steve, best of luck.

Remember, KICK ASS. Be brave. Intimidate when you can. Play safe when you need to. Above all , play your own game.

Never show how you are really thinking.

YOU are a GODAM potting machine, a man to be feared.

Go for it . It might be your destiny.

Qtec

Go Steve, Go Steve..........yeah!

9 Ball Girl
09-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Go NY, Go NY, Go!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See you in 8 days!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif