PDA

View Full Version : Hendry's snooker cue damaged

TonyMN
09-05-2003, 09:11 PM
According to the BBC sports pages, seven time World Snooker champion Stephen Hendry's cue was damaged during a flight, and he does not know if it can be repaired.

What amazed me is that he still plays with the cue he bought when he was 14 years old, and it only cost 40 pounds ($60).

I have a snooker cue that I paid 40 pounds for about 13 years ago, and I can't imagine winning too many world championships with it. Maybe I'll send it to Hendry?

Tony in MN. (Grew up in England playing and watching snooker)

Qtec
09-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Some years ago , his cue was stolen. I am think he paid about 10,000 pounds to get it back.

Once you find a cue that suits you , you still have to learn to play with it. Play with it long enough and it becomes part of you. To play the white round 3 cushions for position on the next ball and stop it on a dime you need to know your cue.The ball might travel as much as 15 ft.
START(
%DL1G9%Io5N4%P\5H3%UN3H4%V[4H2%WE1R0%XM0H3%YK0Z5%ZE1R8%[e2E2
%\L3Z9%]m2J3%^g0C7%_B4B7%`D4C9%aK0G0
)END

web page (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

You will find that most pro snooker players use the same cue that they had as amateurs.

you do have exceptions of course, like the great Alex Higgens.

Qtec

pooljunkie73
09-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Q,

You hit the nail on the head when you said if they find a cue they like they stick with it. Alain Robidoux of Quebec, Canada was in the top 10 in rankings over in England, his cue was either stole or damaged beyond repair and he was never the same since. This year he won't even be shooting pro snooker from what i have heard.

Kent Mc.

HALHOULE
09-22-2003, 05:20 PM
I WILL BET ANYONE, ANY TIME, ANY MONEY, HE CANNOT SHOOT THE WHITE BALL AROUND CUSHIONS FOR 15 FEET AND STOP ON A CICLE AS SMALL AS A DIME. WE CAN BET EVERY TIME HE WANTS TO TRY. RIDICULOUS.

Popcorn
09-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Not to disagree with you, but I just went into the other room and shot the cue ball a total of 23 feet 3 inches and stopped it in a circle the size of a dime. It took three tries. It is not an even money bet, but not very hard to do if you know how.
Although I can shoot the cue ball multiple rails and actually stop it on a dime, It was just a figure of speech the way he was using it in his post. Like "my cars breaks are so good I can stop on a dime". Do you actually think I mean I can stop the car on a dime? Or I say to the kids, "I have asked you a million times to stop doing that". Do you think I really asked them a million times? You went out of your way to try to contradict the man, and as far as I am concerned, look like a fool for doing so.

Billy
09-22-2003, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> I WILL BET ANYONE, ANY TIME, ANY MONEY, HE CANNOT SHOOT THE WHITE BALL AROUND CUSHIONS FOR 15 FEET AND STOP ON A CICLE AS SMALL AS A DIME. WE CAN BET EVERY TIME HE WANTS TO TRY. RIDICULOUS. <hr /></blockquote>

... as are some poster's aiming methods

imo

Qtec
09-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Just about as ridiculous as making seven 100 breaks in 9 frames.

'On a dime'is an expression meaning perfect position [ shape ].

You have no idea how good Hendry is.

Q

JPB
09-22-2003, 10:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> Q,

You hit the nail on the head when you said if they find a cue they like they stick with it. Alain Robidoux of Quebec, Canada was in the top 10 in rankings over in England, his cue was either stole or damaged beyond repair and he was never the same since. This year he won't even be shooting pro snooker from what i have heard.

Kent Mc. <hr /></blockquote>

Even though equipment affects pros, it is not possible that breaking a cue takes someone from top 10 to out of the game. If his game fell off that far it was due to other factors. It may even be that psychologically he wanted to get worse and the cue excuse was his first opportunity. Or his game just got worse. Who knows. But champions make their equipment work for them. A top 10 player finds another stick. Maybe he tries a couple hundred until he finds one, but he finds one. And he should be able to take any cue of reasonable quality with his specs and play decent. Say he goes from 8th best to 10th best. If that. More likely if he is good enough to be in the top 10 he has the confidence to play with another cue. My guess is that other things sent his game in the toilet. If he is so mentally weak that losing the cue is the reason, it's not like he was going to stay at the top long anyway.