PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying "Jordan" Pool Table

logixrat
09-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Hi all, I recently purchased a used table for a mere $200. The best I can tell it sports a single 1" thick piece of slate, a 4' x 8' playing area, has decent cushions and a name plate on the table of "Jordan". Next to the name is a royalty looking symbol.

The guy I bought it from swears up and down the table had a Brunswick plate on the top part as well, but over the years it had apparently been knocked off. And I'm guessing the table is a good 10 years old or better, just judging by the styling and what not.

Anyhow, I was hoping some kind soul out there might be able to guide me to the right direction of whether Brunswick did indeed manufacture this table or not, and if not, then who did.

Really, any help at all would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!

Take care,
LogixRat
P-)

PS - I can take a few digital pics of the table and name plate if you think it would be helpful in identifying the manufacturer.

Ken
09-07-2003, 06:23 AM
The "best" you can tell is it has a one piece slate? Does that mean you are not sure? Did you take it apart to move it yet? The closest tables to a 4x8 playing surface are a nine foot table with a playing surface of 4'2" by 8'4" or an oversize/pro eight foot with a playing surface of 3'10" by 7'8". Which is it? Surely you can improve on your "best".

It sounds to me that it was made for the king of Jordan and fell off a truck on the way there. That's why it's so cheap.
KenCT

logixrat
09-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Actually no we did not disassemble the table to move it. Just 3 of us muscled it from his house to the trailer and then into my house. Looking back, it wasn't one of my finer moments, but what the hey I'm young and the back is strong.

Anyhow, the only reason I say the "best" I can tell is that it has a single slate is based on my conversation with the previous owner and his claims it was indeed a single piece. I have crawled under the table and looked at the slate. Of course I can't see any lines which would indicate separate pieces, but I assume they would put those joints on the supporting lumber to help keep it nice and sturdy. So yeah, the "best" I can tell is that it's a 1 piece slate.

In regards to size, my bad for not being more specific. It measures to a standard pro size (3'10" x 7'8").

Hehe, and yeah, maybe it was for a king and fell off the back of a truck. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's my first table and I look forward to truly learning more about the game, honing my skills and then investing in a better quality table. But for now, this at least gives me something to start with.

If indeed the table is a Brunswick, I may decide to put the time and $$ in it to re-finish it and re-felt it to make it look much nicer and then try to resell later down the road when I go for my nicer table.

Anyhow, I appreciate you or anyone else's help in identifying this mystery table.

Thanks!
LogixRat
P-)

Wally_in_Cincy
09-08-2003, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote logixrat:</font><hr>

.....I can take a few digital pics of the table and name plate if you think it would be helpful in identifying the manufacturer. <hr /></blockquote>

That would increase the likelihood of solving this mystery. Do you have a website where you can post the pics?

Perk
09-08-2003, 12:24 PM
You can probably tell right now if its worth putting some money into. Heck, if ya paid 200.00 so far, add 150.00 more for felt, and possible bumper repairs, and you probably will have a decent table to shoot on or learn more about the game as you said.

I want a 9' diamond table, but I will have to settle for my BB w/simonis felt. The longer I have that one, the farther I get from getting the one I want. Comes with marriage I think.

Pics would probably help with identification.

logixrat
09-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Okay all, got some pics posted. Snapped about 6 different shots. Hope they help.

Jordan Name Plate (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51310&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1&amp;thecat=50 0)

Leg Shot (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51312&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1&amp;thecat=50 0)

Right Corner Shot (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51313&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1&amp;thecat=50 0)

Left Corner Shot (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51314&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1&amp;thecat=50 0)

Side Shot (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51315&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1&amp;thecat=50 0)

Bottom Shot (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51316&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1&amp;thecat=50 0)

She is rough around the edges, but I would like to restore her to a better condition within time. Hoping to paint the legs black and do the top with solid black or a grey/black speckle mix. Sorta like the black Olhausen table on ESPN2 tonight when Karen Korr and Allison played. Then finish in a blue or wine colored felt.

Not that it really matters much for identification purposes, but just curious if you think it would be worthwhile or not. Again, thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Take care,
LogixRat
P-)

SPetty
09-09-2003, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote logixrat:</font><hr> Then finish in a blue or wine colored felt.<hr /></blockquote>Oh great, another poster that can't spell! It's spelled G-R-E-E-N: green cloth. Geez... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-09-2003, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote logixrat:</font><hr> Then finish in a blue or wine colored felt.<hr /></blockquote>Oh great, another poster that can't spell! It's spelled G-R-E-E-N: green <font color="green"> cloth. </font color> Geez... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah you tell 'em. Felt is what happens to a high school girl on date night. Cloth covers a pool table.

<font color="green">GREEN CLOTH </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

or maybe blue /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. What do I know. I can't run 3 friggin' balls.

Qtec
09-09-2003, 10:23 AM
You must be colour blind .

No way is that cloth GREEN. Its blue if its anything.

Q

Qtec
09-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Most women ARE colour blind.

They are not sensitive enough . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

bolo
09-09-2003, 03:41 PM
After seeing the pictures I would say it is a Playmaster. Even the name Jordan is like a lot of the names they give their different model tables.

logixrat
09-09-2003, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> After seeing the pictures I would say it is a Playmaster. Even the name Jordan is like a lot of the names they give their different model tables. <hr /></blockquote>

As in the AMF Playmaster series? I took a quick peek at their website and didn't notice a table by the name Jordan, but this isn't to say it was an older offering. I will give them a call tomorrow to verify.

Also, I got a rep. at Brunswick to email me back about the table. As suspected, it IS NOT a Brunswick table. But he suggested I look at "American Heritage". I did a quick Google search and came up with a site to those type of tables, but they all seemed too nice to be like my table.

Honestly I would say the AMF Playmaster seems more inline with what mine is. If indeed it is a Playmaster table, are they pretty good tables?

Hehe, and to all the others about the felt/cloth. Yeah, the cloth on the table is definitely blue, and when I refinish I will most likely go back with a blue or wine color. I know many enthusiasts prefer regular ole green, but my eyes work better on a blue felt (haven't played a serious game on wine to know how that works out...at least YET).

Anyhow, again thanks and hope to get some more input on this issue. The more I think about it, the more I get excited in revamping this ole beast. Any recommendations for rubbers, rails, etc? Or perhaps your favorite site for picking up good quality, yet inexpensive, parts for your table?

Thanks,
LogixRat
P-)