PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO SELECT A NEW POOL CUE?

SLEEX1111
09-07-2003, 02:10 AM
I WANT TO BUY AN NEW POOL CUE..

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT KIND OF CUES SUCH AS MCDERRMOTT, VIKING, MEUCCI,CUETEC, JOSS, PANTHER. WHICH IS THE BEST? WHAT ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE DOES EACH HAVE? FIBREBGLASS OR MAPLE WOOD? WHY DO AMERICAN CUES COST SO MUCH MORE THAN A CUETEC?? HELP A NEWBIE IN THE BILLIARDS GAME OUT!!!! ANY RESPONSE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Please take this understandably, "Stop using the caps lock on all your text." It's an internet etiquette thing, just trust me, some people get pointed about it cuz caps is supposed to express shouting. Just trying to get you off to a good start.

Your question is a little too broad. Most will tell you to try various brands out and see what fits "you." Fiberglass will get almost no votes at all, and certain cues(Meucci IMO) won't either, but that's my opinion. The advantage of most of the manufacturers you mentioned is that they are affordable to average shooters, not so much as the Cuetec but fairly good sticks for the buck. I'd prefer McDermott or Viking out of the bunch probably because that cues I bought way back then. Your Chinese cues hit well and are very well priced, I own one of those as well.

Good luck with your question. You'll get more replies if you will narrow the subject down a bit. There's way too much to address in the original post, but many should at least field some counter-response to my Meucci slam ;-) sid

jdaniel
09-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I am looking to purchase a new cue as well and am considering buying a quality brand, such as McDermott, Viking, Meucci, etc. What are the best ways to purchase a quality cue at a decent discount? Has anyone ever purchased a cue off of the internet? If so, what would you suggest?
Jim

Rod
09-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Jim,

Lots of people buy on the net. If you'll ask your question on the pool forum, you should get several replies.

RUNaRAK
10-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Before buying one off the internet. Try to get a feel for different cues such as Meucci (arghh.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif)
Once you decide on a maker that you like, do some research. You can definitely save a bit of cash by ordering off of the internet. Good luck!

RUNaRAK
10-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Lucasi is a good economical cue for a beginner or starter cue!

Nightstalker
11-14-2003, 01:47 AM
The Fury cues are also very good for the price. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TomBrooklyn
11-18-2003, 08:49 PM
God helps those who help themselves.

05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Click me To see this nice Cue (http://www.geocities.com/lifedesires03/Meucci.html)
I am letting my Meucci Pool cue go for really cheap!

05-31-2004, 08:44 AM
i have the perfect cue 4 u.brand new with case.brown and black finish with gold trim. if interested contact me on kingstefan21@aol.com /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<font color="green"> </font color>

bobroberts
07-11-2004, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SLEEX1111:</font><hr> I WANT TO BUY AN NEW POOL CUE..

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT KIND OF CUES SUCH AS MCDERRMOTT, VIKING, MEUCCI,CUETEC, JOSS, PANTHER. WHICH IS THE BEST? WHAT ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE DOES EACH HAVE? FIBREBGLASS OR MAPLE WOOD? WHY DO AMERICAN CUES COST SO MUCH MORE THAN A CUETEC?? HELP A NEWBIE IN THE BILLIARDS GAME OUT!!!! ANY RESPONSE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Cues in China cost less probably because of labor wages there.Now other reasons could be materials.E-bay can be good but you always have to be careful not to get ripped off.If you have a billiard store,go in and try different cues to see what suits your style.You can then make an educated purchase. <hr /></blockquote>

07-24-2004, 08:30 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifGood News they are all good. Start by setting some ground rules for yourself, such as how much you want to spend? Whant the cue to look like, weight ( I suggest 18 to 18 1/2 onces), type of wrap you prefer. Once you have defined what you are looking for now you begin the search for which cue fits all or as many of your needs as possible. 100.00 dollar cues are giong to very close in what they have to offer and so on up the line. Make sure you are comparing an apple to an apple. You need to have a dollar amount because a 100.00 dollar cue will get beaten by a 300.00 dollar cue every time. Get The Point? If it was not that way no one would buy more expensive cues. I think the best advice I can give a new player is go to a reputable billiard suply store and tell them you are looking for an entry level cue, find one you like, take some lessons from a quality professional instructor and learn how to use the cue properly. Then down the road get the cue that fits your real game. This approch has worked for many beginners because the truth of the matter is there is just to many cue manufactures out there and you will you will be innindated with what is out there.

03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Is the Meucci still available? if so give me some info about it and the price. Thanks, Tom

lord_shar
03-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I used to shoot with a late 80's Meucci Original. It looks like an HoF1, but its hit quality is apparently a lot better than current models.

I now shoot with a Schon CX61 w/ Predator Z-shaft. Wow, what a difference. Plain Schons start at $464 -- this is the lowest I'd go moneywise for a quality cue now that I know what I'm looking for.

Coachglen
04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
I was looking for a new cue and saw the post with the predator shaft with a differnt cue. Why not just buy a predator cue in the first place if you're into a high end cue? I'm looking to pick up my game now that I'm older and have the time to enjoy it again.

Regulator
04-19-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for a new cue and saw the post with the predator shaft with a differnt cue. Why not just buy a predator cue in the first place if you're into a high end cue? I'm looking to pick up my game now that I'm older and have the time to enjoy it again. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm pretty much a beginner. To me, it seems to be looks and balance, and a bit of hit difference.

a) I don't think much of the Predator looks, though I like their Sneaky Petes.

b) I tried a few different butts with Predator 314 shafts. The balance is definitely different.

c) I could feel a hit difference with some butts, but not much. I'm sure a good player would have a better "feel" for it.

I bought a used Mezz 07 with a 314 shaft. Love it.

missthing
04-22-2005, 09:22 AM
It is about brand but it is also about the money you would like to put into it. You can get a great cue for under $100 for a beginer. I would absolutely go with the players brand. They also make lucasi. Start small and then move up so you know more and get what is good for your skill level. The wonderful thing about mcdermott is that they have a lifetime warranty. Buy online but from personal experience I would make sure the site has a actual physical storefront. That way you will be able to get a hold of them. <font color="red"> </font color>