PDA

View Full Version : Hard Times Monthly 1Pocket Tournament results

Tom_In_Cincy
09-07-2003, 11:45 AM
1st Place Ralfael Martinez
2nd Amar
3rd Chris Mcdonald..
Billy Palmer also played and finished 5-6th

Race to 3 on the winners side, race to 2 on the one loss side. 26 players with $260 added. Started at Noon and it was all over by 1030 pm

It was my pleasure being the TD for this event.
All the players were just fantastic.

This is going to be a lot of FUN

Today is the Monthly 9 ball I will post results tomorrow..

Sorry you missed all the FUN.

L.S. Dennis
09-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Hey Tom
Glad to see that you're settling into the Sacramento pool scene. As you are finding out thers's a lot of great players who frequent Hard Times. There's another place up there that I like a lot as well, called 'The Jointed Cue' which I'm sure you're already aware of.

I'll have to get up there to meet you some weekend,
Dennis

smoovestroke
09-07-2003, 09:29 PM
LS,

So you like the Jointed Cue? I usually play there on Friday nights. I have a steady 1 hole game there. I'm from the Bay Area. Where do you play there? I used to play at the Great Entertainer on Saturdays with my son. I played the NPL tournaments run by Gene Miller.

L.S. Dennis
09-07-2003, 09:44 PM
smoovestroke,
We probably know each other or at least would recognize each other because I used to play down at The Great Entertainer as well in Gene's NPL tournaments. Ever since Gene had the falling out with managment at TGE everyone has simply gone over to Family Billiards over on Geary Street. Gene does all the tournaments over there now.

Gene Miller is without a doubt one of the two best tournament directors in nothern Calilifornia in my opinion.

smoovestroke
09-07-2003, 10:16 PM
I agree with you. I used to love that NPL tournament there at TGE. He had that first round buy back and that really helped to swell the pot. Gene is a fine TD no doubt about it.

Yeah, I'm sure we've run into each other. I've even been to Family Billiards on Geary. I've only been there a few times though.

Maybe we'll run into one another one of these days and get a game going. Take it easy!

NH_Steve
09-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Tom, from a pool point of view, it sounds like you found the holy grail -- and already you're the man running the One Pocket tournament. That room has to be one of the premier One Pocket rooms in the country!

Is it all even-up or do you use any handicapping? How many players do you regularly get?

Tom_In_Cincy
09-08-2003, 10:55 AM
No handicap, race to 3 on the winner side, race to 2 on the one loss side.

During the finals, there was a safety battle.. (yeah.. like there's not suppose to be safeties.. LOL) and it got to the point the players started taking intentional fouls.. (IMO this is when it gets real interesting..) and One of the players comes to me and asks... "3 foul rule?" and my reply... "Oh, yeah... those are the rules" and he just smiled, walked bact to the table and took another foul... now they were both on 2, the incoming player had to make a legal hit or loose the game... "Drama" all the way.. what a day.. great pool players, great competition.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-08-2003, 11:00 AM
The Jointed Cue is on my list of pool halls in CA to visit. There are a lot in the northern CA area, too bad they seem to be 100 miles apart... not like the mid west where they are all within the city limits. LOL

Enjoying it all... can't wait to make it to the Bay Area.. and meet LS Dennis

wolfdancer
09-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Tom, i've already heard the complaints about the one-pocket tournament...seems like some bay area players expected the 12pm tournament to start at 1pm....nobody starts a tournament on time around here!!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
09-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Wolfdancer

Thanks for the feed back.

Starting a tournament "on time" is for the players that show up "on time".

If a "late player" wants to ask all the other players that showed up "on time" if they want to wait on him.. I will do what the "on time" players want.

When you say "nobody starts a tournament on time around here!!!!"

Who is "nobody"? and where is "around here"?

wolfdancer
09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Tom, I was kidding a little..but some guys thought the noon tournament was scheduled for 1pm...and timed their arrival for that.
Actually though, the "big" tournaments usually go off late because the draw is done by hand,and then the grid is filled out...time consuming factors...which also encourage players to arrive late...Only Linda Silva seems to use a computer program designed for tournaments...to get them underway, shortly sfter the signups are finished

Tom_In_Cincy
09-09-2003, 12:56 PM
wolfdancer,

Kidding or NOT, I really do appreciate all types of feedback. If changes are needed I want to be able to make them and need the feedback to start the process.

If it weren't for the players, there wouldn't be a tournament. I respect anyone willing to put up the money and time to enter.

Keep the feedback/comments coming. Otherwise I keep doing it the best way it works for the majority of the players that keep showing up and making the tournament successful.