PDA

View Full Version : Trick shot by Earl

Qtec
09-08-2003, 12:32 AM
START(
%AW6V3%Ir6Z8%P\7Y3%Us0Y8%Vm4[5%WY3W4%X[7X7%YT4Y6%ZW8W1%[D7D7
%\V3U4%_l2[3%``2Z4%aR9[1
)END

Earl won the Trick-shot comp. at the last WPM in Egmond[ NL ]. He was by far the best. All his shots came off.

The more I see him , the more I like him.

He really has something with Steve Davis. HaHa.

Earl, during his act, explained why he was being so vocal: " The last time I was in a trick-shot comp, I thought I had won. Then S.D made a joke and beat me."

Q.

Rod
09-08-2003, 01:10 AM
Q,

I was shooting this before Earl got out of grade school! I discovered the shot in the 60's by accident. LOL Yes it is an impressive shot, the c/b may hit the long rail 3 or more times on the way back. I use to set it up this way.

START(
%AY5V8%B_9X2%Cq9Z4%Dl3X7%Ec4X5%FT3W9%GO0X4%He8X7%I h8X6%P\7X8
%YD7D8%Z\7Y5%_X9Y6%`V4[2%aY2W8%bo7Z6%ce1[0%dZ6Y6
)END

Many years later after buying Winning one pocket it was set up in there and credit given to Jimmy Moore, my hero. LOL The shot took on another variation. The 6 ball doesn't make it any tougher, it still takes the same stroke.

START(
%AY5V8%Cq9Z4%FY7Z7%P\7X8%YD7D8%Z\7Y5%_X6Y9%`V4[2%aY2W8%bo7Z6
%ce1[0%dZ6Y6)END

New cloth like used in tournaments or exibitions make this shot much easier.

Rod

Qtec
09-08-2003, 02:01 AM
How do you play that shot Rod? Earl jacked it up a bit and seemed to force the Qb through. Does the Qb have to jump a bit? I would imagine that too much draw would be the main problem.

Qtec

smfsrca
09-08-2003, 02:25 AM
The shot is a straight forward power draw. Don't jack up. A center draw stroke using a rail bridge. With maximum draw and power the ball stuns off the object ball sliding into rail above the side pocket and back out where the draw grabs and propels the ball down table. This has become a standard high difficulty shot in the trick shot competition. Both Masse and Palinga include it in their routines.

Qtec
09-08-2003, 02:47 AM
No OE?

Q

jjinfla
09-08-2003, 05:32 AM
That's quite a shot. The only one I have seen do it is Mike Massey and he uses the second version where the CB goes around a ball after hitting the rail.

Sure is a beauty to behold.

Takes a great draw stroke.

So far all the other contestants in the trick shot contest have failed to do it on TV. At least the clips that I have seen.

Jake

Fred Agnir
09-08-2003, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> The shot is a straight forward power draw. Don't jack up. A center draw stroke using a rail bridge. With maximum draw ...<hr /></blockquote>

People say "don't jack up" all the time, yet anyone who's seen Massey shoot this shot will note that he is well jacked up. Nothing "nearly level" about it. Right or wrong, he's jacked up.

Fred

Rod
09-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Q,

The cue is elevated because the c/b is near the rail and you use a rail bridge. The angle is such that it is about a ball or so off being straight in. This is the approximate c/b and o/b location and set up.
START(
%AZ2W2%IY4Z7%P\9Y4%UD3F8%V^6Z5

)END

If it is shot too smooth the 9 can come into play. The force and cue angle the shot requires will send the c/b past the 9 ball to point A.

START(
%AZ2W2%IY4Z7%P\9Y4%QU6[2%_W0[0%`Y9W7%a\7Y2

)END

From there it comes off the rail and bends around the 9 ball. If the shot is hit with a wrist type snap or too much elevation the c/b will hop. If the c/b has a noticeable hop it will be very hard to get the c/b back but not impossible. So it is essentially a smooth forceful draw stroke, and in this case, use low left.

Rod

Qtec
09-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Yes, the shot was just off straight. I,m sure I would hit the 9. Gonna give it a try this week. Not so sure it will work on a well used cloth tho.

Thanks for the info.

Q

Rod
09-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Play it without the 9 in the begining. It will work on used cloth but more difficult. If you throw in dirty balls, dirty table and humidity it can be a bear.

Rod

smfsrca
09-08-2003, 12:38 PM
I meant jacked up beyond what is unavoidable due to the proximity of the cue ball to the rail. Since this is shot with a rail bridge (bridge hand on the rail, not on the bed) a natural jacked up stroke is unavoidable but it need not be exaggerated to execute the shot successfully.

smfsrca
09-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Outside english is not required although a touch probobly won't hurt. The idea is to maximize the amount of back spin. The closer you are to the center line the more back spin you can get. Any more than a half a tip off center may reduce the backspin to much to make the shot.