PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice Needed

c.holtz009
09-08-2003, 12:50 PM
There is this tournament coming up in a couple of months at a pool hall in Ottawa. There are going to be some big names there like Pagulayan, Martel, Thourburn, and a few more amongst a lot of outstanding amateur players.
I would love to play in it, even though I know I'm probably gonna get stomped. The entry is $100.
The reason I want to play, is for the experience. Would I be better off to go and watch, then play at the next one, or do you think the experience would do a player good?
My game isn't the weakest in the world, yet I'm no slouch. My best 9 - ball run is 5 racks from the snap.
What do you all think?? Am I being stupid about this, or will the experience help out?

Karatemom
09-08-2003, 12:56 PM
I have watched a lot of tournaments and wish I would have played in them. There was one this weekend with a $65 entry fee that I decided to play in. No pros were in it, but some very good female players. I really didn't think I would do well either. but I managed to get my head together, and with the help and advice of a few CCB'ers, I managed to do better than I had expected.

I would say to you, don't think you will get stomped, or you will. If you want the experience to play with people, you have to do it, not watch it. I say, go for it. After the experience, you'll know what to expect the next time.

Heide ~ my .02 for what it's worth

Rod
09-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I say the experience helps. You need that to kick your game up a notch. It also helps to back that up with more tourney play at higher levels if possible. If all your going to do is play just to be involved then I'd question your motivation. If the money is short or in question though, don't play.

Rod

RedHell
09-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I asked exactly the same question a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what speed you're at but, I never ran 5 racks in a row at 9-ball. I tried to explain as much as possible what level of play I was at. After a few posts, most of the pros here and better players suggested I get in.

BTW, what is that tourney in Ottawa that will bring in such a fiels ??? When and where, I might drive down to see it, or play in it !

Popcorn
09-08-2003, 01:04 PM
I would not spend money you can't afford, but it would be fun to play. You know, when you enter, you are all of a sudden part of what is going on and not just a guy on the side lines watching. You go to the players meeting get to know the players and it can't hurt your game either. When someone else says they have seen so and so play, you can say you have played them. You may surprise yourself and knock off one or two of those champs. Even if I have not been playing, I rarely go to a tournament and not play. It is a lot more fun then just being a watcher.

RedHell
09-08-2003, 01:04 PM
In my case, I will try to set myself some realistic objectives before my matches.

What I mean is, if I draw a semi-pro, I'll try to get something like at least half the games, maybe one third for a pro players.

But eh ! If I see an opportunity to get away with a match, that's definetely what I'll shoot for !

c.holtz009
09-08-2003, 01:05 PM
I read your post on your tournament. Good going!!
I don't really think I will get stomped, but it can happen. I think I'm looking for someone to talk me into it!! J/K
The biggest tourney I've played in was the BCA Nationals in Vegas back in 97. However I've gotten a lot better since then, and I have a lot more confidence in myself and my game.
Another player from here wants to go, so we will hook up for it as long as he doesn't back out like he did for the Quebec City Open.

c.holtz009
09-08-2003, 01:16 PM
This tourney will be held at Le Skratch in the Merivale Mall on November 29th and 30th.
As for my speed, well, this past year, my record stands as:

out of approximately 70 tournaments entered, here are my results:
15 1st
6 2nd
2 3rd

As well as my team won the 8 ball league here. Actually, one of my team mates is on this board as well. Bob Perkins from Barrys Bay.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-08-2003, 01:21 PM
By all means, enter. If you are eliminated, you can still stay and watch. Either way, you gain more exposure to the competition arena.

Good luck.. let us know how you did.

RedHell
09-08-2003, 01:31 PM
OK, that's the same tour I was looking into, the Pechauer Tour..

I'm thinking seriously about entering the one in Quebec City, I figured for a 110$ (there's a 10$ non tour member fee), playing 2 rounds against pros would be good.

The worst thing is I wouldn't like to end up playing another amateur in the first round (like a friend or something)....

The other things, I was told the Quebec pro player association are not allowing their top 16 pros to play in tournement that doesn't have at least 5000$ added. This will lower the field considerably, no Salva, no Hewitt, no Martel etcetera.

Thierry Layani posted a short resume of the first stop of that tour on RSB and mentionned the finals being between Salva and Hewitt. That first stop was a US Open qualifier, so I wondered if they had a special agreement to let the top 16 players play !?!?!

Eric.
09-08-2003, 01:35 PM
My opinion would be for you to play. It sounds like you have no problem stringing racks, so your offense isn't lacking. I'll assume you can play a good safe and your kicking game is adaquate. If so, I think the difference will be how many mistakes you make i.e. poor decisions, missed balls that you should make, etc. Either way, you'll learn something more about your game and where you need work. Good luck.

Eric

RedHell
09-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Eric,

Did you ever play in one of those, how did you do ?

SPetty
09-08-2003, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> OK, ... the Pechauer Tour..<hr /></blockquote>heh heh heh, he said Pechauer Tour heh heh heh

SPetty~~~Okay, I'm done. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric.
09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
never in any Canadian tourneys, but I have played in "Open" events where there were some big hitters (Tony Robles, Ginky, F. Hernandez, Teddy Garrahan). Though I don't play at their level, and my best finish was 9th, I feel it's worth the $100 for the schooling.

Eric

dg-in-centralpa
09-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Go for it - the experience alone and the pointers you'll pick watching your match will be worth the entry fee.

DG

09-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey Carey... this is the first time I've checked out the board since last June... and look what I find. Haven't checked in for awhile because I spent a lot of the summer down in Chicago. Hope your summer was a good one.

We started the league last Thurs. and my game is looking pretty solid... ran out on four racks. We took all six points even though we had only three of our regular players. Sorry your not going to be able to play on a regular basis but it's always a plus for the team when you can. Lots of league controversy this year. A split of 14 teams at Buddies and 10 at The Warehouse. Since neither place can accomodate 24 teams teams I'd personally like to see it come together as just one league making use of both rooms. Unfortunately seems like to much anomosity for that to happen right now. I'll fill you in more of the sordid details when I see you.

As for the tournament you're talking about this is the first I've heard of it. If your looking for someone to go along... count me in. ...Bob

bigbro6060
09-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Last year i entered some Tournaments where i knew i was well outta my league, the best players in the state were playing, i had only just started playing. I got my butt kicked but put in some good games. And every loss just gave me more incentive to improve and practice. SOme of the guys were really arrogant and i just stored it all away for future reference.

This year i entered the same tournaments, did a hell of a lot better. Not gonna say i beat all before me but i beat a few of the top players, overall performed exponentially better and gained much respect. My goal is to keep improving each year

griffith_d
09-08-2003, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> will the experience help out? <hr /></blockquote>

All experiences help out,...don't ever worry about getting stomped. There is a semi-pro where I play every week and when I play him I get it in my head I am going to lose,..but this time not as bad. It calms me down, I don't worry if I am going to lose the match and I play better and have been beating him in more games.

So $100+ for a tournament(lesson) is not that bad,..the experiences of tips from other players(known or unknown by them) could be invaluable that would not learned from a formal lesson(no offense Scott).

Griff

Jimmy B
09-09-2003, 01:54 AM
You can string 5 racks and you consider yourself a slouch?? [censored] I wish I could call myself a slouch. Did you B&amp;R 5 racks or are we talking combos, and nines on the break??? 5 Racks is damn good and I think you should getin any tournament you can. JB

c.holtz009
09-09-2003, 04:41 AM
Hey Bob!! I'll be there this Thursday cue in hand. I think Barry is way too much an a$$hol3 to allow the 2 leagues to come together. He thinks everyone is out to cut his throat, and doesn't really care about the league as long as he is making $$$$$.

Jimmy B -- as far as stringing racks together, there was a 9 on the snap, and a 6-9 combo in that 5 rack run.
So, I guess some would say that was only REALLY 3 racks, but its 5 in my book...

Wally_in_Cincy
09-09-2003, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> heh heh heh, he said Pechauer Tour heh heh heh

SPetty~~~Okay, I'm done. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Beavis, I love those <font color="red"> Pechauer </font color> cues. I heard they sponsor a tour.

I really like <font color="red"> Viking </font color> and <font color="red"> Hunter </font color> cues too.

Barbara
09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> heh heh heh, he said Pechauer Tour heh heh heh

SPetty~~~Okay, I'm done. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Beavis, I love those <font color="red"> Pechauer </font color> cues. I heard they sponsor a tour.

I really like <font color="red"> Viking </font color> and <font color="red"> Hunter </font color> cues too. <hr /></blockquote>

You guys crack me up....

Barbara~~~he said that word....

griffith_d
09-09-2003, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> Hey Bob!! I'll be there this Thursday cue in hand. I think Barry is way too much an a$$hol3 to allow the 2 leagues to come together. He thinks everyone is out to cut his throat, and doesn't really care about the league as long as he is making $$$$$.

Jimmy B -- as far as stringing racks together, there was a 9 on the snap, and a 6-9 combo in that 5 rack run.
So, I guess some would say that was only REALLY 3 racks, but its 5 in my book... <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like 5 to me.

Griff

9_on_the_snap
09-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Hey bro, 5 racks is an awesome number, I know for a fact Corey Deuels longest streak at runouts is 7, so you're right there. I know that because Corey and I used to shoot out of the same pool hall and i've shot many times with him. If you dont mind to lose the $100, which most of us have lost if we've spent any amount of time in a pool hall, then i'd say go for it. Playing the best players in a tournament atmosphere will only help improve your game. Good Luck.

c.holtz009
09-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Me thinks I'm gonna go and give it my all. I'll never know if I don't try.

Chris Cass
09-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Hi c.holts009,

Look at it this way. If the tourney is double elimination your actually playing for $50.00 a set. Devide that by the games and you'll find it's not much. If your lucky you'll play two of the top dogs and that alone is worth it.

Now if it's putting you in a crunch financially than, maybe you shouldn't. Don't take my word for it. I went through Cancer surgery, didn't pick up a cue for 4 mths and still in pain, can't break for the life of me and like a dummy. I signed up for the Open. I can't play a race to 9 without getting winded and have no endurance at all. Tomorrow, I go and have my esophagus stretched for the 11th time and the Open is 6 days away.

The thing is, I can't go to a tourney and not play. I'll look like a dog but it won't be my first time I'm 2 and out. I say go and enjoy yourself if you can. Life isn't worth living if you can't live doing it.

JAT,

C.C.~~good luck and a 5 pack is very good.