PDA

View Full Version : REMEMBERING HALL OF FAMER DOROTHY WISE part 1

L.S. Dennis
09-08-2003, 10:44 PM
This is an article that I did for a now defunct newsletter some years ago. I came across it tonight and thought I would share it with you. Without futher ado, here it is:

I don't recall what I saw the first time I peeked through the door of Sequoia Billiards, but I do remember heareing the clicking of the balls. I had no idea that my life would revolve around the place for the next three years.
The year was 1962, and my father owned a liquor store on Main Street in Redwood City, California. As a 12-year old boy, I often hung around the store, and it was only a matter of time before curiosity drew me across the street and into the pool room operated by Dorothy and Jimmy Wise. I had the privilege of knowing them both and learned to play pool at Sequoia Billiards.

PET CARE AND POOL ROOM ETIQUETTE

Dorothy was always kind to me. At some point even before I began playing regularly, I had a couple of pet rats, the kind you bought in a pet store. I wandered into Sequoia one afternoon with the rats on my shoulder. The room was empty-
no one was playing on any of the 16 Gold Crown 1 tables, no one sat in the theater-style seats that lined the perimeter of the playing area. Dorothy was behind the register, and instead of throwing me and my rats out the door,she opened a bag of sunflower seeds from the display on the counter and helped me feed them. Sunflower seeds, she assured me were very good for my rats's fur.
I got the pool bug bug very quickly. Dorothy and Jimmy charged $1.00/hour for playing time, and it wasn't long before I was coaxing my father out of a dollar here, fifty cents there. Dorothy did not teach me to play; Jimmy was the one for instruction. He'd come over and tell me to use a little inside english to make the object ball hug the rail. Dorothy, though, definitely taught me pool room etiquette. More than once, in a motherly fashion, she scolded me or my friends for using foul language after a miss.

SHE PLAYS POOL, TOO!

For a long time, I didn't even realize that Dorothy played. I knew her only as the nice lady who worked in the pool room. Then one day, I saw her come from behind the counter to practice. She racked the balls, then spun the rack as she lifted it, spiraling them smoothely onto the table. I watched in awe as Dorothy ran rack after rack. I'd never seen anyone run 35 or 40 balls. I couldn't wait to get out to a phone to call one my friends to say, "Guess what I just saw Dorothy do!" (I'll continue this true story of my memory of Dorothy Wise tomorrow, hope you're enjoying it!)

=k=
09-09-2003, 07:14 AM
keep it coming,, thanks !!

L.S. Dennis
09-10-2003, 08:23 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying it, it's been a pleasure sharing these memories. I'll try to conclude with the third part tonight.