PDA

View Full Version : What about this.

Qtec
09-09-2003, 09:19 AM
9B, normal rules but with one difference.

If you pot a ball on the break, you can push out or let your opponent play. You cant continue the break.

This would give the non-breaker at least one shot to save the rack.
The breaker would still have an advantage but would have to make a ball in normal play to win the game.

It makes an end to running racks because of good fortune.

What do you think?

Q

bolo
09-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Why is good fortune a bad thing? Luck is only as good as the players ability to take advantage of it. Don't want racks to be run, rotate the break. Why is it a bad thing to run racks? Who said it needs to all be equal? It is like saying one teams home runs don't count, because the other team has no home run hitters. Some players are better then others and that is as it should be in sports. Running racks may be the only exciting thing about 9-bal, the rest is all academic and boring, as is most of pool, at least to the average spectator.

Qtec
09-09-2003, 09:52 AM
What is exciting about one player breaking off and 8 racks later the game is over and the other guy hasnt olayed a ball?

At least this way you can still retain advantage.

Alternate breaks doesnt reward good play.

Its just a suggestion. No need to go balistic.

Isnt it one of the criticisms of 9b that there is too much luck involved?

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Iowashark
09-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I don't think a lot of luck is involved with pocketing balls on the rack, or especially not in running racks. In 9 ball, the difference to being able to run racks or not usually lies in having a good break. Most good players use the same break over and over and if they pocket a ball on the break, it is usually going to be the same ball they pocket on every break. If you watch Karen Corr or Jeanette Lee break, they will pocket the 1 in the side pocket almost every time. This is not luck, nor is being able to run the rest of the rack. I'd say if you want more opportunities to play, take up 8 ball or 1 pocket. This is all my own personal opinion, sure it's frustrating getting racks run on you, but you have to have a certain respect for the guy or gal who can do this.

cycopath
09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr>In 9 ball, the difference to being able to run racks or not usually lies in having a good break. <hr /></blockquote>That was very evident in the World Pool 9Ball Championships this year. Pagulayan could not get his break going, and Hohmann's was top notch. In the end it cost Pagulayan the match.

Qtec
09-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Sure, but what i am saying is , is it a true test of skill?

What criteria are we talking about?

Should you win a game on one shot?

Q

Qtec
09-09-2003, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you watch Karen Corr or Jeanette Lee break, they will pocket the 1 in the side pocket almost every time. <hr /></blockquote>

I heard it was the Sardo Rack.

Q

griffith_d
09-09-2003, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Sure, but what i am saying is , is it a true test of skill?
<hr /></blockquote>
Breaking is a shot like any other shot,...it is skill. If your skill level is high for a particular shot(the break) you will make it more often; otherwise you will miss.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
What criteria are we talking about?
<hr /></blockquote>
The criteria is the speed, spin, english, where behind the head string and consistency. All is included on the break "shot".

Should you win a game on one shot?
<hr /></blockquote>
Yes, you should win on one shot; such as winning when hitting the one into the nine and winning,...same.

Griff

Iowashark
09-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Having a tight rack does have a lot to do with it. Also I've had problems getting this break to work on my table at home and I think because it is a bar box and not a 9 footer. I can get it to work on the 9 footers at the local PH.

Qtec
09-09-2003, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you should win on one shot; such as winning when hitting the one into the nine and winning,...same <hr /></blockquote>

Its not the same. That is a deliberate shot.

Whatever you say , there is still a lot of luck involved with 9b because every week you have a different winner.

Otherwise Earl would win everything.

Q

[ Q is now an Earl supporter]

griffith_d
09-09-2003, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Yes, you should win on one shot; such as winning when hitting the one into the nine and winning,...same <hr /></blockquote>

Its not the same. That is a deliberate shot.

Whatever you say , there is still a lot of luck involved with 9b because every week you have a different winner.

Q

[ Q is now an Earl supporter] <hr /></blockquote>

Luck does play a part,...so does slop,...and slop counts in 9b,...unlike 8b where slop does not count.

Griff

Iowashark
09-09-2003, 10:49 AM
I disagree, I think the break (in most cases) is a deliberate shot, if nothing goes in it's the same as rimming out a normal shot. There are a few deliberate break shots whether it be the 1 in the side or the wing ball in the corner(my usual break). I rarely just grip and rip the break, I'm usually trying to pocket the ball. Now back to where this post started in order to make 9 ball less of a luck game, they could make it with a nomination break. Have to call the ball in pocket on the break and almost all the top players will continue to break and run because they know what's going where when they break. Did that make any sense? I think I've gone and confused myself. Oh well, as long as I know what I"m trying to say.

Keith McCready
09-09-2003, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>9B, normal rules but with one difference. If you pot a ball on the break, you can push out or let your opponent play. You cant continue the break. It makes an end to running racks because of good fortune. What do you think?<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Earthquake

bolo
09-09-2003, 11:18 AM
"Isnt it one of the criticisms of 9b that there is too much luck involved?"

By who? 9-ball is what it is, don't like it play a different game.

RedHell
09-09-2003, 11:26 AM
I disagree, I think it would push the player to safety break, or to make a break where they can play a impossible safety...

I prefer the alternate break. The only difference is that a player should have to win by 2 games, a bit like tennis. Then setup a tie breaker of some sort.

If you run 9 consecutive rack without any mistake, you deserve to win.

bolo
09-09-2003, 11:37 AM
In golf if one player plays in the morning and everything is perfect and another has a starting time in the afternoon and the wind has picked up and it is beginning to rain, that is just the way it goes. Pool is played under almost perfect controlled conditions as it is. The little variables in the game its self are the only things that even make it interesting. Why have a tournament at all, maybe just vote on who is the best player and give him the money. Variables, the unexpected and the players ability to deal with them, are what make the game great.

Rich R.
09-09-2003, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> there is still a lot of luck involved with 9b because every week you have a different winner.

Q

[ Q is now an Earl supporter] <hr /></blockquote>
I believe that a certain amount of luck is involved in winning at any game. Why should 9-ball be any different. The luck factor is what makes play games fun.

BTW, Earl would not win everything.
Like any other player, he has his good days and bad days. There are many times Earl gets beat, because he not playing his best. There are other times Earl gets beat, because some one else is having a good day.
Again, that is something that makes it all fun.

Qtec
09-09-2003, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that a certain amount of luck is involved in winning at any game. Why should 9-ball be any different. The luck factor is what makes play games fun <hr /></blockquote>

How much luck is there in chess? How much luck is there in snooker?
In tennis, in golf, etc

If Roddick was allowed to serve the whole match , who could beat him?

If Roddicks opponenent was allowed to serve the whole match , do you think he would always win ? Is there a chace that he could lose to a player who should'nt be on the same court as him?

It is just ridiculous to let one person break the whole match .

Q

Iowashark
09-09-2003, 01:44 PM

If Roddick was allowed to serve the whole match , who could beat him?

Q <hr /></blockquote>

But that's the whole point. Having a good serve in tennis is just like having a good break in 9 ball. It isn't the whole game, but it is an essential part of being a good player

If the opponent hits it back, he still has to continue the volley until someone makes the set winning shot. But if you have a mediocre break or serve, your chances of winning decrease, because it gives your opponent more of a chance.

When Roddick gets an ace on the serve, do you consider that luck? Maybe in tennis they should have regulations on how fast you can serve in order to make it fair on everyone.

Joe T
09-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Just play 10 Ball. PLEEAASSSSE
Rack on the spot, break from the rail,box or spot doesn't matter. No more wing balls!!! What's the big deal??? Why can't we switch?

Kato
09-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Keith, are you trying to say you're more of a push out 9-ball kind of guy?

Kato

Rod
09-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Tap Tap Tap!

Rod
09-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Q,

That is one of the reasons for getting rid of pushout for TV, the game lasts to long. Man take my push out away, then come back and temp me again. Low down dirty, LOL I know it's just after the break but it won't fly. Like Joe said, play 10 ball.

Keith McCready
09-09-2003, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Keith, are you trying to say you're more of a push out 9-ball kind of guy?<hr /></blockquote>

Kato, absolutely. It would bring a lot more skills back into the game (IMO). /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Earthquake