PDA

View Full Version : few words about my progress...

marek
09-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Hi people!
Right now I have some spare time so I decided to write few words about my progress in the wonderful game of pool. Few months ago I posted here on CCB problems with my stance and my grip. Also I was looking for some help with my 9ball break. Thanks to the advice from Fran Crimi I have been able to make the right correction in my stance which on the other hand solved my problem with the grip. My 9ball break was something completelly different. I recieved very informational material from David Sapolis (thank you David!) but it was really hard to incorporate those hints into my game. I had to work really hard to make my break working. 3 months ago my break efficiency was something like 25% (ability to make at least one ball on the break AND to have position on the lowest numbered ball). During those 3 months I improved my break efficiency approx. to 60%. I know that 60% break efficiency is not a big deal but hey! I am really happy about that improvement! You wouldn believe the number of F-words and S-words and whatever-words I let out of my mouth during this period of time! Do you want numbers? Ok, here they come! I made about 2000 break shots during those 3 months, I cursed approx. every second break shot which makes approx. 1000 bad words /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Needless to say vast majority of those curses were cried out during the first two months /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif This was DEFINITELLY hard-earned improvement!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif There is also one thing that helps me tremendously! I changed my mental approach at the table. In the past I used to play the shot even if I felt that something is wrong with my technique - if it wasnt really huge bad feeling I normally pulled the trigger. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Right now if I feel there is anything wrong with my stance, grip..whatever, I tweak with my technique until it feels ok. If it doesnt work I stand up and make my preshot routine again. Generally I dont have much better technique than I used to have 3 months ago but I make half the number of mistakes thanks to this approach! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif Yesterday at the tournament one of my opponents even told me that I am pool-swot while watching my patient and precise game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well my season starts on Saturday, I am going to Germany to the one-day 2500 euro added tournament so I can test my game in the real heat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wish me luck!

Just few words from pool fan(atic)

Wally_in_Cincy
09-10-2003, 07:15 AM
<font color="blue">marek, it's good to see you checking in and it's good to hear of your improvement. </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr>
...You wouldn believe the number of F-words and S-words and whatever-words I let out of my mouth during this period of time!

<font color="blue">Do you use English cuss-words or Czech cuss-words? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

..I made about 2000 break shots during those 3 months,

<font color="blue">I wish I had the inclination to practice that much. You da' man. </font color>

...Right now if I feel there is anything wrong with my stance, grip..whatever, I tweak with my technique until it feels ok. If it doesnt work I stand up and make my preshot routine again.

<font color="blue">That's good advice for anybody. </font color>

..Well my season starts on Saturday, I am going to Germany to the one-day 2500 euro added tournament so I can test my game in the real heat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wish me luck!

<font color="blue">Good luck.

Is that 9-ball? Will the results be online anywhere? </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
09-10-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> In the past I used to play the shot even if I felt that something is wrong with my technique - if it wasnt really huge bad feeling I normally pulled the trigger. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Right now if I feel there is anything wrong with my stance, grip..whatever, I tweak with my technique until it feels ok. If it doesnt work I stand up and make my preshot routine again. <hr /></blockquote>
This is advise that I certainly need to follow.

It is always good to hear from you Marek. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Best of luck in the tournament and be sure to let us know how you do.

marek
09-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Actually I use Czech cuss-words but sometimes I use even English F-word or german S-word... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And yes, its going to be 9ball, double elimintation format. Not quite sure about the online results but you can check the site of the ph where the tournament will take place web page (http://www.billardcafemagic.de/) , the tournament is advertised there under "Veranstaltungen" section. The good thing about this tournament is the fact that if there is more than 64 players participating in it the price money will rise! Not quite sure when I last heard of such tournament! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

marek
09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Dont worry Rich!
My calendar is dead full with competitions! I have 1 (ONE) free weekend until Christmas!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So I will have more than few opportunities to live another great pool story and then tell it to you... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
09-10-2003, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> Yesterday at the tournament one of my opponents even told me that I am pool-swot while watching my patient and precise game!<hr /></blockquote>Hi marek,

It's always a joy to hear from you. I think it helps encourage the rest of us to keep up our quest and believe that good things happen to those who practice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just one question... What is "pool-swot"? Is it a good thing?

Fred Agnir
09-10-2003, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> During those 3 months I improved my break efficiency approx. to 60% . I know that 60% break efficiency is not a big deal but hey! <hr /></blockquote>

If I could make a ball on the break and have a shot on the lowest numbered ball 60% of the time, I'd have a chance to be someone in this game.

Fred &lt;~~~ 25% seems high

marek
09-10-2003, 03:38 PM
My english dictionary says that swot is someone (mainly student) who learns really hard (maybe too hard) and others dont like him too much as they envy him his results... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But thats exactly what I always wanted to be in pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Pool+swot=pool-swot
P.s.: A swot may be british word so maybe americans use different word for the same meaning...

Keith Talent
09-10-2003, 03:45 PM
American equivalent would be "grind", according to Random House.

Sounds like sour grapes from your lazy opponents.

marek
09-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Well...in fact I AM trying to be someone in the game of pool, I know it will take a loooong time, actually it may happen that I never get there but at least I am trying! I have great determination, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be god at this game....wow...nice typo...god...well I think I will leave it here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marek
09-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Grind...I will try to remember it...thx! and those words came from a guy who was watching my match with someone else, he lost to me 30 minutes earlier... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keith Talent
09-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Good luck, Marek. You sound mighty determined. As for being god at the game, I find that's real easy ... I was GOD-awful today, until the climactic and almost unprecedented three-ball run in a little faceoff this afternoon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
09-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Marek,

Glad to hear your doing well and improving. Yes, cussing at the ball does wonders. You might not win any roll model awards, but you'll feel better! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well on second thought you might want to contain that when you play in tournaments.

If you can hold anywhere near 50% effective breaks, then all you need is besides pocketing balls is, good strategty, kicks and safety play. Good luck, play hard.

Rod

snipershot
09-10-2003, 06:19 PM
It's great to hear from you Marek, it's sure been a long time and you need to check in with us more often to let us know how your pool game is progressing. Make sure to give us one of your thrilling stories after competeting in the tournament in Germany.

Sniper

marek
09-11-2003, 01:58 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marek
09-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Practice and tournament play are two totally different things. I play a role of Mr.Courteous during the tournaments...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marek
09-11-2003, 02:05 AM
I will definitelly try to make it as entertaining as possible.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheChump
09-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Marek, it is great to know that you are putting so much time into your game. Look at what Thorsten Hohmann had to do to get his game up to his current level; he practiced 8 hours a day! That practice certainly paid off since he is twenty-something years old and just won the "World Pool Championship" in Wales!

Go for it my friend....keep practicing....and please keep us informed.

TheChump...

Ralph S.
09-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Way to go Marek. I wish I had that kind of drive, or should I say time to practice. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif