PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Cue, Please Help

mikeb1892
09-10-2003, 08:41 AM
This cue has turned up in our local pool room and no one has any idea when it was made or by who. If you have any information on it, or know someone who might, please e-mail me at mikeb1892@yahoo.com You can view pictures of the cue at the following link

Cue Pictures (http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeb1892/lst?.dir=/Pool+Cue&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/)

Thank you,

Mike

Popcorn
09-10-2003, 07:47 PM
A cue like that could have been made by anybody, even someone that never made a cue before. The one picture of the end of the shaft joint is somewhat telling. It appears, at least in the picture, that the joint collar is poorly fitted and does not seem to have the ear marks of an experienced cue maker. My guess is it is a cut down house cue that has been jointed. Does the shaft and butt seem to be the same piece of wood? A nice S/P has a quality shaft and the original front half is discarded. It also appears it never had a good quality finish on it, other then the factory finish on the house cue. Hard to say much more just from the pictures.

cycopath
09-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Was thinking the same thing, from the difference in the points length. Not really what a good cuemaker would accept.

Jimmy B
09-11-2003, 10:11 AM
It's a house cue, they never line up, who notices? JB

bolo
09-11-2003, 10:39 AM
On a custom Sneaky Pete the butts are often built by the cue maker and have nice points. Even with a Sneaky Pete that is made using an original house cue, the butt is usually returned to produce a proper taper. If the points are not too far off the cue maker can even them out by doing an offset turning. This is the kind of attention to detail you see from the better cue makers and is reflected in the final price. Just because it started out as a house cue does not necessarily mean it has to be a piece of junk.
who notices you say, people that spend their hard earned money on what they expect to be a quality cue from a cue maker. If it a $40.00 cue, then who cares.

sledhamrbrk
09-11-2003, 04:23 PM
I had a cue that used the similar joint and butt cap material the woven orange brown. I will e-mail you the cue maker,due to the not-so classy work done here.I wouldnt want to advertise to all.Might have been one of his early cues,or need some cash ,hack a house-cue,throw a joint in ,no I got some cash for food deals.

Fred Agnir
09-12-2003, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sledhamrbrk:</font><hr> I had a cue that used the similar joint and butt cap material the woven orange brown. <hr /></blockquote>The woven orange brown material is most likely a fiber-based phenolic laminate, used by virtually every cuemaker in the business.

Fred

Pizza Bob
09-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Haven't the faintest idea who built this cue. Obviously a "not to sneaky" Pete. As Fred pointed out all cuemakers at one time or another have used the brown phenolic. I think the key to identifying this cue, if it can be done at all, is the rather unique bumper - both shape and method of attachment. That's the area to concentrate on. Good luck!

Adios,

Pizza Bob