PDA

View Full Version : JC,, Chalk Or Not To Chalk, That is The Question!

Sid_Vicious
09-10-2003, 02:48 PM
I was tutored against chalking my jumper the other day, which I sorta understand in theory, so I began working with no chalk at home. My first impression was that the accuracy due to no induction of unwanted side spin after the CB came back to earth was that the unchalked tip was ok and dependable. But then after half an hour or so the tip became super slick and miscues began to bother my success. My accuracy using chalk is not miserable, it actually impresses a few other players, but I now wonder, "What is the answer to the chalking thing on jumpers when you simply wish to make a short to medium, straight hop?" The same question goes for roughing up the tip on a jumper, a question especially being asked to those who may say NOT to chalk the tip at all, cuz if no chalk is the answer, would it not be illogical to purposely roughen the surface too?

Remember y'all, this subject orbits around straight hops with no desired masse, follow or draw on the CB??sid

Iowashark
09-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Shape...no
Chalk...yes
Unwanted spin will come more from a shaped cue rather than the likelihood of an unshaped hard tip with chalk getting a good grab on the cue ball. I, however, find that a little bit of english with the slightly shaped tip decreases the afterhops that sometimes happen after the initial hop.

JohnBarton
09-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Definitely put chalk on the tip. Treat the jump shot like any other shot in that you want to shoot it with the right speed, angle and spin to achieve a desired result.

In my exhibitions I demonstrate draw, follow and sidespin. I show jump-banks, jump-kicks, jump-safeties, jumping into and out of clusters, jump-massÚs and long distance jumps into tight areas. Almost none of these shots would be possible without chalk.

John

Sid_Vicious
09-11-2003, 01:06 PM
John...Thanks, I broke down this A.M. before leaving the house for work and just brushed some chalk on the jumper I'd been working without chalk on for the past two days. Just the lazy chalking job worked wonders, and if using no chalk means I'm losing hop-ability to clear air at the expense of a smidgen of improved control after CB landing, then I'll use the chalk and adjust. It beats the heck out of looking like a fool and giving BIH! I've bunted more cue balls in the last couple of days than I can remember, except for the days after first getting the Stealth with it's original, factory tip. I NEVER want to re-live that time again...sid