PDA

View Full Version : tip keeps poping off

nineballwizard
09-11-2003, 04:41 AM
I have this Cyber Cue I bought this summer and I thought it would make a good break cue, so I decided to put a Sumo hard tip on it. I used the same technique I have always been using with all my other cues to change the tip, but for some reason, for this cue the tip will not stay on the ferrule. After 10-20 power breaks the tip takes off. I use teh ferule sander thing (forgot the name), and the Tweeten's 10 minute cement, and I leave the cue alone for a good 2-3 hours before I trip the tip and use it. Is there another technique I could use? I though I could use my Tip Pik on the back of the tip and on the top of the ferrule.

pooljunkie73
09-11-2003, 05:30 AM
Try a differn't glue, Tweeten's is too brittle IMO.

Kent Mc.

WaltVA
09-11-2003, 06:38 AM
Try a gel-type Super Glue. I used to use Tweeten's years ago, but after a couple of customers lost tips, I switched to Duro Super Glue and have had no more problems. Rough up the back of the new tip on some coarse sandpaper and you should be OK.

Walt in VA

cycopath
09-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Occassionally we'd catch a ferrule that does not want to adhere to the tip with super glue. That's when we'd use that 5 minute 2 Part epoxy. Works well. I started using it on all the tips I install.

I don't recall the brand, but on the tube it says '5 Min Epoxy'. Here's a pic:

http://cyco.xsintrk.net/pics/epoxy.JPG

Rich R.
09-11-2003, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballwizard:</font><hr> I use teh ferule sander thing (forgot the name), and the Tweeten's 10 minute cement, and I leave the cue alone for a good 2-3 hours before I trip the tip and use it.<hr /></blockquote>
Also sand the back of the tip, before applying glue.
Do not try to reglue a tip that has popped off. New glue will not adhear properly to the old glue.
Before doing any "power breaks", I would let it sit over night.
JMHO. I'm no cue repair expert.

tateuts
09-11-2003, 10:43 AM
I suspect the back of the tip is too slick, or you have some bad glue.

Make sure the back of the tip is sanded. I just grab the tip and run the back of it back and forth flat over a file until all the shiny leather is worn off.

Duro Super Glue Gel is the way to go - but make sure it's fresh. I've used old stuff before, and it loses it's holding power. I've even bought bad batches of glue right off the store shelf! The gel will fill small gaps, so even if the surfaces aren't perfectly mated you get a powerful bond. Using these techniques, I've never had a tip pop off.

Chris

SpiderMan
09-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Without seeing your technique, I'd have to blame the glueing. Tweeten's is pretty sensitive to application technique, and of course a break cue is likely to reveal any flaws. Success with the Tweeten's depends on having a good process for getting a consistent layer thickness on both pieces, and a correspondingly correct drying time prior to assembly. Also, the more pressure you can apply during assembly the better.

Personally, I'd go with a more modern adhesive such as slow-cure epoxy or duro quick gel.

SpiderMan

sledhamrbrk
09-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Here is another suggestion for tips : Biondi gel,it comes in a similar bottle as most of the gels.The nice thing is it has a brush similar to a finger nail brush,allowing even application of glue and reduces access glue squirt.Available at Wal-mart.

I second the sanding back of tip,make sure to use a semi-rough grade paper,180 , too smooth will result in tip coming off again. Be sure to re-sand the ferrule surface as well.

P.S. Throw Tweeten glue away forever. Glues have come along way since that stuff.

Alfie
09-11-2003, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballwizard:</font><hr> [tip keeps coming off] <hr /></blockquote>Had the same problem with a bunjee. Check for loose ferrule.

pooldaddy9
09-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Try Loc-tite - 454. I have never had one come off.

Sid_Vicious
09-11-2003, 08:40 PM
"I though I could use my Tip Pik on the back of the tip and on the top of the ferrule."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What? You don't need that friend, just flush sand the ferrule, do not touch anything with your oily fingers, roughen the glue side of the tip, and afix the tip using super gel, which you apply to the core area of the tip. Toss that tip-pic, it is a trouble maker all-way-round, for EVERYTHING!!!sid

Ralph S.
09-12-2003, 02:25 AM
The guy that does my tip work uses 2-ton cement. The stuff works great. No waiting for it to adhese before playing.