PDA

View Full Version : Jump In Pool, Passing In Football

Sid_Vicious
09-11-2003, 09:12 AM
I remember the turn of the football world when the pigskin started being tossed to receivers, and the purists of the old running, grinding out yards game didn't feel it was a proper change either. Yet let's look at the sport of football today...is it not more dazzling to the fans when the ball goes down field by a pass? I say "Heck yes!" it has revolutionized the fan-fever, at least the modern fan that is. If jumping the CB happens to promote fan enjoyment, then it is good for the billiard industry, and is a good thing....sid~~~feels everyone not liking the jump shot it too "old school" fuddy-duddies ;-)

Qtec
09-11-2003, 09:58 AM
You cant kick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Q

jjinfla
09-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Holy revelations Sid. I'm older than dirt and the passing of the football change was before my time. Even though it was George Hallas and the Chicago Bears who used it first. How old are you? LOL Do you remember Methusla too?

Has anybody done a study to see how effective the jump shot is? Of course TV always shows the jumps that work. How many tables have been ruined by them though?

It really doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I would just as soon see a good kick, Deuel made three good ones against Earl, as a jump shot. Perhaps they should poll the pros and see what they want.

Who is pushing the idea of banning the jump shot? Lately I have heard a lot of talk like that.

Jake

Iowashark
09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You cant kick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe you can't jump.

Ward
09-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Sid

I think you should be required to jump with your playing cue.....

Later

randyg
09-11-2003, 03:37 PM
OLD SCHOOL? I have a 1852 pool book with pictures and instructions on the jump shot.....randyg

Tom_In_Cincy
09-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Way to go Randy...

I knew someone would bring up that Jump shots and Jump Cues are not as new as some players think they are.

I think a bigger "RECENT" change to influence pool was going to BIH on any foul, in 9 ball and after the break in 8 ball.

Sid_Vicious
09-11-2003, 03:47 PM
You actually got me a little there, I was mainly talking about the seemingly explosion of the passing game once people like Joe Montana hit the field. Seemed like marches to the in-zone under 2 minutes were accellerated from the late 60's and on, and I always found that exhillerating. My father and brothers used to devour the football games ending in 3-0 scores, they loved the defense. Damn, it was boring as all git to me...sid~~~51yrs young

rackmup
09-11-2003, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>How many tables have been ruined by them though?<hr /></blockquote>

Answer: None.

ru·in
(rn)
n.

1. Total destruction or disintegration, either physical, moral, social, or economic.
2. A cause of total destruction.
3. The act of destroying totally.
4. A destroyed person, object, or building.

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
09-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Cha-Ching.

Rod
09-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Sid,

I was thinking of you today. I went down to the poolroom and hit a few. I said to myself, I'm going to pull out the jump cue and use it when necessary. That means I prefer to kick in a lot of cases but I made it a point to jump a few.

Starting out I had two older guys on one end and young Cisero Murphy beside me. The older guys took up a lot of room, you know they took two spaces, feet spread way out just building their stance. Murphy was practicing jump shots. Well I guess that's what you'd call it. Now I get out all three cues, screw them together and I'm thinking, he is thinking, that I'm mocking him! I decided not to practice jumps and only play one if necessary. Strange, once in a blue moon I decide to practice jumps and I got a guy next door doing the same. Who'd of thought.

Ya see I figured he would think that because he couldn't jump over a piece of chalk. I'm giving a lot on that one too. So I proceed to play, breaking and shooting and running out and all that stuff. I had yet to shoot a jump shot. Then I hear, "Sir--- Can you tell me how to jump these balls". You know that Sir always gets my attention.

I said sure let me see your jump cue. It was a McDermott J/B cue. I showed the young feller how to proceed with a jump shot. I mean this guy had already pounded (gently) the slate a whole lot of times but OLE Whitey wasn't a jumpin. So I jumped a couple for him and explained how to get the ball up. I also told him his tip was to soft and let him use my cue. He saw the light, OLE Whitey jumped much easier, especially since I taught him the basic stroke. Then I jumped a handful of full balls with my Schön and drew one back, just so he'd know you don't have to have a jump cue to jump balls. I had his attention.

So there you have it I actually did shoot a few jump shots. I do shoot them; I just don't make it a religion. LOL I was most impressed by the break though, it was solid. So Hoppie hit em decent, the breaks were solid, position was pretty good, and pocketing balls was off. I need to play more, and with these dam glasses.

About that football, passing is old stuff. Personally I think Roger Staubach was the first king of the two minute drill.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
09-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Game is 8-ball:

START(
%AH6Q4%BM9R3%CK1O7%EW0P3%GM3N6%HN7M9%P^2Q7

)END

This isn't a monumental show stopper, but I had this shot today in a warmup game before a mini tourny, whipped out the Stealth and hit the follow up shot, without touching any other ball. I had to perch my right butt cheek on the long rail, automatic selection for the reach for the dart stroke and steady aim mode. Yea, these JCs jump accurately.

START(
%AH6Q4%BM9R3%CK1O7%EW0P3%GM3N6%HC0B5%P\6Q4%WC3C2%X N2M4%[d6W3
%\S1[5%]R4[3%^C3W7%_D0W3%`I8R8%aN9N8%bS0O8%cV8P7%d\3Q5
)END
I ain't braggin', yet this was an elegant shot to watch...sid

Rod
09-11-2003, 11:07 PM
That's a good hop Sid, some of those I have a hard time reaching.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
09-12-2003, 07:29 AM
With zero pressure to make or miss, it just all came together. I liked the expression and remark from my opponent. He squinted one eye, stared for about 5 seconds and said, "I can see what kind of day this is going to be."

Pool is a fun game...sid

Aboo
09-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Nice shot Sid... This is why I never Break and Run I guess lol. I've never jumped a ball outside of the practice table. :P