PDA

View Full Version : Has nothing been learned?

Qtec
09-11-2003, 09:44 AM
State Questions Military Tolerance of Iranian Dissidents

By Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 11, 2003; Page A19

The State Department has expressed concern to the Pentagon that the U.S. military appears to have allowed an Iraq-based Iranian opposition group to continue its activities against the Iranian government, including crossing into Iran to conduct attacks, despite an order from President Bush that the group be disarmed, administration officials said yesterday.

Four months ago, after heavy pressure from the State Department, Bush ordered U.S. military forces to surround the group's camps along the Iraq-Iran border and to force the group to give up its arms. But administration officials said the Pentagon has allowed the group to retain its weapons, come and go from the camps at will and use camp facilities to broadcast propaganda into Iran.

In the past week, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell wrote Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld about the matter after lower-level State Department officials were unable to get answers from their counterparts at the Pentagon, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Powell's note cited reports that the group, known as the Mujaheddin-e Khalq (MEK), enjoyed wide freedom to continue their operations. The note also mentioned that intercepts of Iranian government communications indicated the Mujaheddin continued to pose problems for the government in Tehran.

The State Department has officially designated the Mujaheddin as a terrorist group. The Mujaheddin has been campaigning for several decades to overthrow the Iranian government, and since 1987 it has been based in Iraq with the backing of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.

"It's unbelievable," one State Department official said. "It's a pretty cushy arrangement for a terrorist organization. But the Pentagon continues to see them as useful, and they seem to be playing a waiting game until the policy toward the MEK changes."

Its dangerous to play God.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
09-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Q

There's so much covert crap that goes on in this world. If you think this is something you would have a heart attack if you knew the truth about all the other stuff.

Qtec
09-11-2003, 10:46 AM
What happened to the war on terrorism? ALL terrorists.

Its this kind of crap that gives you guys a bad name abroad. The ordinary guy doesnt know these things are going on , much less agree with them.

I am sure that most people, especially today , would agree that this is counter-productive.

GW comes to the UN and says "trust us".

Its just unbelieveable. After all that rehtoric.......

Q

Cueless Joey
09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> What happened to the war on terrorism? ALL terrorists.

Its this kind of crap that gives you guys a bad name abroad. The ordinary guy doesnt know these things are going on , much less agree with them.

I am sure that most people, especially today , would agree that this is counter-productive.

GW comes to the UN and says "trust us".

Its just unbelieveable. After all that rehtoric.......

Q

<hr /></blockquote>
Maybe the rest of the world can join in and fight.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
War makes for strange bedfellows. Besides we don't care what you Dutchmen think. You guys wear wooden shoes and orange hats for cripes sakes LOL

Rod
09-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Q, We know you don't like Bush, get over it and move on. If you cry about pool as much as politics, you must make everyone around you miserable. Geez, I feel sorry for your mother.

Rod

Qtec
09-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Do you remember the Taliban? Bin Laden? Both were financed and supported by the US. Look what that got you. 19 suicide bombers kill themselves and 3000 civilians and people ask WHY? Why us? What have we done to them?

The reply from the Govt is , 'They are jealous of us'.

BS.

Ever since the the end of WW2, the CIA has been responsible for ruining the lives of millions of people all over the world. From Vietnam to Peru. From the IRA to the Contras.
9/11 is also the anniversary of the day an American backed military junta overthrew the LEGALLY elected Govt of Peru. The next year 3000 civilians'disappeared'.

Now we see that the US is allowing a terrorist orginization to operate from Iraq!

This isnt just about GW, it goes deeper than that.

Your apathy worries me most. Thats what allows your Govt to do what they want.

You wont see GW or any of his kind in the front line.

How many US soldiers died this week. How many next week and the week after that?

For what?

Q

Qtec
09-12-2003, 05:19 AM
Just two words Wally.

Bin Laden.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2003, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Just two words Wally.

Bin Laden.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I got 2 words for you too.

Qtec
09-12-2003, 07:05 AM
That wasn't the response I was looking for Wally. I am not being sarcastic nor am I trying to provoke.This Iranian terrorist group will be tomorrows enemy.

It would help if politicians could look long term, rather than just to the next election.

Q

Qtec
09-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Iraq should be a UN operation, not a US one. The US-Brit coalition chose to go outside the UN andattack right away. We all know that there was no rush. Saddam wasnt an immediate threat. The country is in ruins because of the years of sanctions.

the UN is willing to help but you cant have your cake and eat it.

Co-operation is a two way street.

Q

nAz
09-12-2003, 07:20 AM
I wish we finished in Afghanstan and left Iraq alone (for now?).
Do you know that we are about to loose Afghanastan? they are drafting their consitution and its goona be a Islamic state governed by Islamic law... The U.S. is sitting back and letting it happen. what hapen to democractic reforms we were to set up there? wheres the press in all this? This is why Bush will lose in 2004.

Vote for Dean/Clark in 2004 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
09-12-2003, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vote for Dean/Clark in 2004 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote> I hope you were joking. If you think it is expensive to live in New York, just wait till you vote for Dean. This man did nothing for Vermont except raise their taxes through the roof. Sure their budget was balanced, but what did it take? There was no reduction in his spending, all he did was increase taxes to cover his butt.

Here is one of the few things I agree with Dean on... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dean:</font><hr> "I would repeal that part and any other part of the PATRIOT Act that violates our Constitution." <hr /></blockquote> If all hell breaks loose and this fool gets elected, he better make sure he makes good on this point.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2003, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>

....If all hell breaks loose and this fool gets elected,.... <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think you have to worry about Howard Dean getting elected. If he gets the nomination he will face the same fate as Michael Dukasis, Walter Mondale, and George McGovern