PDA

View Full Version : Onions

9 Ball Girl
09-12-2003, 07:03 AM
However do you get the smell out of your hands after cooking?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2003, 07:34 AM
lemon juice maybe? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
09-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Try this one....................wash them!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK, here's a quick tip. Before cutting submerge your onions in ice water for 10 minutes. This takes away the smell, don't ask me how. I don't know if this makes your hands not smell but I know you don't cry.

Tip number 2, this one is free also. Don't like smelly onion hands? Wear surgical gloves. Cheap and thin, no onion on your skin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Rich R.
09-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Try rubbing your hands with something made out of stainless steel, like a butter knife or something. It has to be "stainless steel".

I don't know why this works, but some gormet catalogs sell pieces of stainless steel, made in the shape of a bar of soap, for this purpose.

Since onions don't bother me, I have never tried this, so let me know how it works. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
09-12-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> However do you get the smell out of your hands after cooking?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
A solution of baking powder or baking soda in water. I think both work. Baking powder probably is better.

Cool onions don't tend to release the eye-burning stuff like warm onions do.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Here's another tip, speaking of gloves. Do not take a leak shortly after cutting habanero peppers.

Wally~~not quite that stupid.

Sid_Vicious
09-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Foreplay neither. You get "the look" real quick with that combination of events! sid

9 Ball Girl
09-12-2003, 08:58 AM
If you see me with bandaids on my hands in VA, you'll know why! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato
09-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Don't rub your eyes either Rich.

Kato~~~did that while making chili 2 weeks ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-12-2003, 09:03 AM
I love onions and I don't mind the smell, but I think it's caught under my fingernails. And trust me, I'm always washing my hands after cutting/chopping each food item. This reminds me of a scene in Scarface. Al Pacino is in Miami working in a sandwich joint with his bud. Right across the street is a nightclub and they're both admiring the guys in suits and the chicks with the hot bods. Al Pacino's friend (Monolo was his name in the flick) tells him that they need to get into the Coke business to be like the guys that they're seeing go in to the club. Al Pacino looks down at his hands and in his Spanish accent says, "Look at this, #$%@# onions." Bahahahahaha!

You had to be there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TomBrooklyn
09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> However do you get the smell out of your hands after cooking?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>Dear 9Ball Girl:

Peel a bunch of garlic or clean some fish after you cut the onions. That will mask the odor of the onions.

Abbey

Fred Agnir
09-12-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Here's another tip, speaking of gloves. Do not take a leak shortly after cutting habanero peppers.

Wally~~not quite that stupid. <hr /></blockquote>

I was.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2003, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Here's another tip, speaking of gloves. Do not take a leak shortly after cutting habanero peppers.

Wally~~not quite that stupid. <hr /></blockquote>

I was.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I hear and I forget
I read and I remember
I do and I understand

pooldaddy9
09-13-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> However do you get the smell out of
your hands after cooking?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Just find a piece of stainless steel flatware (knife, fork or spoon, doesn't matter), put all your fingertips firmly on it, and place your hand and the utensil under running cool water. I think it has to do with the transferring of ions, but that's about as much science as I know. I do know it works. You may need to repeat a few times if the onion odor is particularly strong.