PDA

View Full Version : Relapse! :( Question on Speed control...

Aboo
09-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Ok, first week of fall session (APA 8-ball) was last night. I got hung by my nipples and beat like a pinata. Ok, not that bad but I sure felt like it /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, I shot well, shot-making wise. But my position is OFF. I would get out of line, make a fabulous shot to get back in line, then screw position and have to pull something to try and get back in... again and again.

Speed control. Can anyone recommend a few drills to work specifically on this issue?

ChrisW
09-12-2003, 09:05 AM
http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Jewett1.htm#May03

All are good but try the "PROGRESSIVE PRACTICE" and "LEARN THE TABLE " for speed control.

Good luck,
Chris

Iowashark
09-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Was this on a table that you are used to playing on? I played in a tournament last night on a table with some gray cloth that was like putting uphill through 2 inch bluegrass. Even after 10 plus games on it I couldn't find position to save my right eye. Knowing it was a slower table I was over compensating. But even after the horrendous play conditions of last night the last thing I"m going to do is go try to adjust my positioning and speed control because it's probably fine given normal conditions.

Never try to fix something that's not broken.

But if conditions were normal and your game was off a bit, try target positioning practice. Set up a shot over and over with a target like a piece of chalk and practice leaving the cue ball right where you want it. And make sure it takes the same path to get there every time. Try this with several different shots.

Aboo
09-12-2003, 09:36 AM
I play in an in-house APA league. There are a lot of tables and those tables see a lot of action. So from week to week the tables change.

Personally, I feel like I should be able to win, regardless of the equipment I play on. As long as my opponent is playing on the same equipment we both have to deal with it.

I asked the question because my shot-making is improving a LOT with practice. I shoot shots with confidence now that would have scared the hell out of me 6 months to a year ago.

I can shoot almost any shot that our best player can shoot. But my position suffers due to lack of knowledge and speed control. I recognize this as a weakness and I'm looking for ways to improve it.

I've gone from a strong sl3 to a strong sl5 in the past year. I want to graduate to the BCA in a year or less. But I'm not going to until I get to a solid sl6 in the APA. Just a rung in the ladder sir /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aboo
09-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The "Learn the Table" article is actually a lot like what I do now before my matches. I'm just looking for ways to get more consistent with speed and positioning. Maybe I'll try Target Pool for awhile.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2003, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr>.....Can anyone recommend a few drills to work specifically on this issue? <hr /></blockquote>

A few? Here's a whole book.

http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/

I recommend it highly.

Aboo
09-12-2003, 09:49 AM
LOL, your right. I own that book, have for a while. I guess I should read through the stuff I have already before asking for more! :P

TomBrooklyn
09-12-2003, 09:53 AM
I think everyone who's thought about it knows how to practice speed control. It's not rocket science and it's not magic.

If it's cue ball speed your looking to practice hit the cue ball from one end of the table to the rail and back, then two rails, then three, then four etc. When you get good at that, try for 1/2 table, 1 1/2 tables etc.

If it's speed off of a collision, set up the shot and hit it over and over with different speeds.

I know how to practice it but my speed control is weak. Why? Because I don't practice it. Why? It's boorrriinnngggg.

TomBrooklyn

Aboo
09-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Your right, it is boring... but it's also critical to your game. I can see NO way to play position like the pro's without precise speed control. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I'll practice.

TomBrooklyn
09-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Actually, I thought about this after I posted above, Target Pool is a good and fun way to practice speed control along with position. It can be played solo or in competition. You keep score and set up particular shots in accordance with the book, with each chapter getting progressively more challenging. I just haven't played Target Pool lately because I've been working on other parts of my game. It is out of production and not sold in stores anymore, but it is usually easy to find one in good condition on eBay.

Tom

Aboo
09-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Hmmm, I found a Target Pool game on eBay... but someone named slpetty has the high bid on it at the moment hehehe

Rod
09-12-2003, 12:30 PM
don't worry about that petty charachter, bid high! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

actually you can use cloth or paper and make up your own game. it's fun to play once in a while with friends, more of a home table setting IMO.

Eric.
09-12-2003, 01:07 PM
O.k., maybe it wasn't funny /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

FWIW, there are a couple of drills I do to sharpen up, when I'm off. One is a 1 rail drill, the other is a 2 rail/3 rail drill:

1 rail-play the CB to stop in a 6" circle in the middle of the table.

START(
%AH7H8%BN4\7%CM0]9%FM0]0%KO0]7%LM7]1%MP1]1%NI0]5%PI9V1%WI4J8
%XJ1T8%YN3D8%ZJ1H9%[Z1O2%\P3D4
)END

2 rail-play the CB to stop in the middle of the table.

START(
%AH7H8%BN4\7%CM0]9%FM0]0%KO0]7%LM7]1%MP1]1%NI0]5%P[6O1%UZ5P8
%VK9Z9%WJ4J1%XY8O1%YD0O0%ZH4J1%[K1Y9%\C8P4%eB0a6
)END

3 rail

START(
%AH7H8%BN4\7%CM0]9%FM0]0%Is0V0%KO0]7%LM7]1%MP1]1%NI0]5%P[6O1
%Uh7E6%VK9Z9%WJ4J1%XY8O1%YD0O0%ZH4J1%[K1Y9%\C8P4%]m1G2%^j9C9
%eB0a6
)END

On the 1 &amp; 2 railers, play toa 6" circle, on the 3 railer, play to a 12" circle.

Eric