PDA

View Full Version : The man in black dies at 71

Rod
09-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Country western star Johnny Cash influenced a lot of people.

Johnny (http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=133773)

Rod

Karatemom
09-12-2003, 12:51 PM
I used to listen to Johnny Cash on my 8 track back in the 70's. His music was like no other and will be missed.

Also, John Ritter died yesterday at the age of 54. He had 3 grown children, and one 5 year old child, whose 5th birthday was also yesterday.

These are 2 people that will be sorely missed in their own right.

Heide

Chris Cass
09-12-2003, 02:40 PM
I liked Johnny Cash. A few of his songs were great and it was good for the public to know he turned his life around from prison to country singing star. That's very honorable and shows the young people caught up in trouble that they too can change things around.

I also liked John Ritter. He was really into the show business life. A family man all the way. I feel for the baby mostly. It'll be hard for them all. My sympathy to them. I believe his Dad was a polotician, Im thinking senator?

C.C.

dg-in-centralpa
09-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Chris - John Ritter's father was Tex Ritter the country singer. Tex also gave Johnny Cash a few breaks early in his career. Coincidence that they died the same day?

DG

Chris Cass
09-12-2003, 03:02 PM
OMG, your 100% on the money. I knew that and forgot all about it. Boy, do I have it bad. Thanks for helping me out.

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Chris - Glad to be of service.

DG

Barbara
09-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Rod,

When I was driving into work this morning this one radio station - WXPN, 88.5 - replayed a part of an interview with him when they had him in their studio last year. David Dye, the interviewer, asked him about his name and Johnny replied that when he had his first record made, his manager put the name "Johnny Cash" on the label. Johnny Cash then explained that he hated the name "Johnny", his real name was "John R. Cash" and that only his wife called him "Johnny".

WXPN is U of P's radio station with an alternative format. Good stuff!

Barbara~~~never, EVER, call Pete "Petey"... That one time was ugly, but at least he's able to blink "yes" and "no" with his one good eye... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
09-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Barbara,

I watched a special on him last night. Of course I knew what a big star he was starting late 60's but I had no idea he influnced so many people. Kind of sad, in one of his last interviews he didn't really look like Johnny Cash.

~~~rod, won a karoke sp? contest years ago -- I walked the line /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Oh, and lived to talk about it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
09-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Barbara - WXPN is a great station. Their World Cafe cd's are worth picking up. I catch them mostly weekends.

DG

Barbara
09-14-2003, 10:46 AM
dg,

Pete's a member and we have very one of the World Cafe CDs.

Barbara~~~loves 'XPN, too...

Ralph S.
09-15-2003, 12:45 AM
The best Johnny Cash song has to be "A Boy Named Sue". Coincidentally, we all know Cash had wild streak a mile wide in his younger days and recorded several songs about prison and so on. Believe it or not, Cash never spent a day in actual prison. Jail time, yes. Prison, no.

Reguardless, the sad passing of true legend and pioneer in the music industry.

MikeM
09-15-2003, 05:05 AM
My favorite musician, Bruce Springsteen was a big admirer of Johnny Cash and vice-versa. I saw Bruce Saturday night and he began the show with I Walk The Line with just Bruce and his guitar. A very powerful and respectful tribute.

That was one of my Dad's favorite songs.

He did the same last night in North Carolina.

MM

AndyG
09-15-2003, 07:06 AM
I watched the Larry King interview with Johnny last night. I believe Larry said it was recorded in November last year. I was really impressed with the candid answers johnny gave to the direct questions about his drug addiction, personal life, etc.

In my estimation, the most impressive thing he did was to champion the cause of the American indian. The Ballad of Ira Hayes was one of my favorite Cash songs.
AndyG

Wally_in_Cincy
09-15-2003, 07:44 AM
After Nashville jettisoned Cash and the old guard country singers in the 80's Johnny went on to sell millions more albums and win 2 Grammys.

This was his message to Nashville at that time /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I believe this photo was published in Billboard

http://music543.com/i_want/images/cash_finger.jpg

Ya gotta love the guy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aboo
09-17-2003, 12:09 PM
ROFLMAO
My favorite Cash song... "Ole Ragged Flag" I LOVE That song. I also like Folsom Prison Blues.

Barbara
09-17-2003, 07:59 PM
For those of you in the WXPN listening area (Philly, Pa area and some spots around), they're going to re-air their interview with Johnny Cash from 2002 on Friday during thier "Live At The World Cafe" spot at 2:00 pm Friday.

www.wxpn.org (http://www.wxpn.org)

Barbara~~~great stuff.... Yo! dg-in-central-pa....