PDA

View Full Version : Hard leather tips on jump cues?

Rio
09-12-2003, 02:48 PM
Has anybody here tried putting a really hard leather tip on one of the short (Bunjee-type) jump cues? Something like a Rocky, Tsunami, Stingray, or Stratos, for example. I'm wondering how much jumpability is lost when one of these tips is used.

I received a Balabushka jumper yesterday. Haven't shot with it yet. The tip, ferrule, shaft, and joint look okay, but the butt is a pretty crude piece of work. I guess you don't get a show cue for $50.

Thanks for any info about the tips!

Rio

Cueless Joey
09-12-2003, 03:16 PM
I use a water buffalo tip.
It's fine for jumping.

Chris Cass
09-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi Rio,

No doubt a harder tip will help you up and over. I have a LePro on mine and still get over but it's also a sound I like better. The draw works better for me too. A jump cue isn't ment to have to look great. It's just a thing you need to stay with the industry. Now if you want looks than Joe Picone makes a JC that will resemble your shooting cue. Inlays and all. I hear there quite good too. You won't find it for $50. but you get watch you pay for.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
09-13-2003, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rio:</font><hr> Has anybody here tried putting a really hard leather tip on one of the short (Bunjee-type) jump cues? Something like a Rocky, Tsunami, Stingray, or Stratos, for example. I'm wondering how much jumpability is lost when one of these tips is used.

I received a Balabushka jumper yesterday. Haven't shot with it yet. The tip, ferrule, shaft, and joint look okay, but the butt is a pretty crude piece of work. I guess you don't get a show cue for $50.

Thanks for any info about the tips!

Rio <hr /></blockquote>The Air Jumper (Stealth) looks like a real leather tip to me. It sounds better, and I can get real draw, not a teeny tiny bit, but real draw with it.

Also, a cuemaker I know soaked a Triangle tip with thinned CA glue. It played like a hard Bunjee-esque tip. Sounded like it too.

Fred

Leviathan
09-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your help, gents. I think I'll test my new jumper with the factory-installed synthetic tip and then try it with an extra-hard Stratos laminated tip. Your info suggests that a very hard leather tip may give acceptable jumping action with increased spin and control.--DM

Sid_Vicious
09-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Rio...If I were to try a leather tip on a JC today, I'd sort out the hardest LePro from a box I could find, and install it very short in height. I recently went back to a LePro on a McDermott cue after all these years of layered tip experimentation, and that tip is like a piece of rock, I LOVE IT! Now I won't sit here and try and say that it will work as well as a synthetic tip, but you'd probably like the CB control a bit better than with the synthetics, even though I'll never go back from my synthetic tip, no way. I might chop off one of the tips I now have on one of my BJ cues and try the LePro. Cheap enough experiment...sid