PDA

View Full Version : PPV or Live on Cable?

Irish
09-12-2003, 06:22 PM
What do you all believe the sport should strive towards? I would really like to get the opinion on BCn and the Bermans as to what they feel is the best way to market pool (and not for the pocketbooks of those putting on the events but for the sport to prosper as a whole).

Seems to me that the biggest sports in the world are live on cable. Football, Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, Golf, you name it. Our sport most closely resembles golf and they have no problem showing 4 days of live coverage on T.V for a normal weekly non-major tournament. Heck I have seen dog shows get 2 hour slots on TSN even.... I know we can do better then the dogs.

PPV is NOT going to attract new people to the sport. The only people that will actually buy a PPV program are already fans, do you not see this? What we need is a large live finals of a tournament on live cable T.V. I am not sure if this has EVER even been tried. If the people flicking channels actually found out it was a live event and the players were playing for $50,000 I am sure alot would decide to watch and see what happens. On PPV those same people wont notice our sport at all.

If some dumb sport like Slamball can actually get onto cable I dont see how pool cannot. I cannot help but feel this sport is not being marketed at all well by those in control. We should be so farther ahead with this sport then where we are now and with delayed PPV T.V. showings that are going to crash and burn in ratings and make the Indemand people think our sport has no drawing power at all along with everyone else out there when the problem is the fac that the thing is delayed and being put on PPV and not on live cable.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-12-2003, 07:55 PM
When Pool can clean up its act and get organized and run proper tournaments with consistant rules... then the NFL, MLB, NHL, GOLF, Tennis have to crumble.

Pool can never compete with the BIG Boys (Current Pro sports) for TV Time/Coverage/Cash/ and noteriety.

The only reason Billiards is so popular in Europe is the absence of the MAJOR League Sports we have in the USA.

Pool is popular around the world, maybe even more than it was 50 years ago. But, the rest of the world doesn't spend time and money on the USA's major league sports.

Pool is a small cult sport in the US. And, even some pool players would rather watch NFL on Sundays than play pool.. sad but true.

Pool is an inside sport/game, when the weather turns good outside.... the pool population dwindles. I wonder why?

Ever notice why the colder northern states have all the great players? Maybe its because, when they do get out on a cold day, its to go to the pool hall.

There isn't an 'allure' 'attraction' 'special event' or even a large payout tournament that can draw the TV and sponsers to a POOL event.

Too much competition from the Major Sports.

Let's face it, Pool is only going to be a MINOR sport in this country, until the BIG leagues FOLD.

bolo
09-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Pool doesn't have to compete with major sports or even be very big to be successful. There should be enough of a nitch audience that will watch on a regular basis to justify it be on TV. I can't believe some enterprising sponsor doesn't recognize it. I don't consider quick buck pay per view kind of stuff, as a serious attempt to elevate pool, or market it to a more main stream public. This whole issue is dead at the top and always has been. Little we can do about other then wish.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-12-2003, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There should be enough of a nitch audience that will watch on a regular basis to justify it be on TV <hr /></blockquote>

Apparently the ladies have got the majority of the nitch. Too bad the men can't produce a quality product.

30+ recorded hours and then repeats, of WPBA pool on ESPN2 is about as good as it gets at this time.

I don't see anything on the horizon to change this.

Besides, if the TV dictates what the formant is, (single race in the finals, and shorter races (7 versus 9 in the semis for the women's TV shows) what can Pool expect in the future? More 9 ball racks with the 9 on the spot? TV cutting out games to fit time space.

Then there are the sponser demands.. .can you imagine a FEDEX logo on brand new Semonis 860? or, worse yet... a Budwiser logo?

pooltchr
09-15-2003, 05:34 AM
It would help if TV would at least make the effort to get a somewhat regular schedule for pool, and stick to it. I tuened in ESPN at 6pm last night to watch billiards as was scheduled. They were showing golf. (The graphics on the bottom of the screen said billiards, but I'm pretty sure it was golf...they were outside hitting little balls around a lot of grass) Obviously, they don't have much respect for cue sports, so how do we expect the casual viewer to get interested?

magicman
09-16-2003, 12:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Irish:</font><hr> What do you all believe the sport should strive towards? I would really like to get the opinion on BCn and the Bermans as to what they feel is the best way to market pool (and not for the pocketbooks of those putting on the events but for the sport to prosper as a whole).

What is Towards? If you want to talk to Barry Berman, you will be doing that through the bars of his cell in jail.

Seems to me that the biggest sports in the world are live on cable. Football, Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, Golf, you name it. Our sport most closely resembles golf and they have no problem showing 4 days of live coverage on T.V for a normal weekly non-major tournament. Heck I have seen dog shows get 2 hour slots on TSN even.... I know we can do better then the dogs.

PPV is NOT going to attract new people to the sport. The only people that will actually buy a PPV program are already fans, do you not see this? What we need is a large live finals of a tournament on live cable T.V. I am not sure if this has EVER even been tried. If the people flicking channels actually found out it was a live event and the players were playing for $50,000 I am sure alot would decide to watch and see what happens. On PPV those same people wont notice our sport at all.

If some dumb sport like Slamball can actually get onto cable I dont see how pool cannot. I cannot help but feel this sport is not being marketed at all well by those in control. We should be so farther ahead with this sport then where we are now and with delayed PPV T.V. showings that are going to crash and burn in ratings and make the Indemand people think our sport has no drawing power at all along with everyone else out there when the problem is the fac that the thing is delayed and being put on PPV and not on live cable. <hr /></blockquote>