PDA

View Full Version : Predator 314 vs Tiger X

Jay
09-13-2003, 07:03 AM
I just got my September issue of Billiards digest in the mail this week (finally!) and I saw the add for the new Tiger X shafts for the first time. The X shafts are multi piece shafts that are supposed to produce less deflection and provide more english and comes with the Sniper laminated tips. Now for those who will flame me about posting this topic, dont worry I did the research first before I posted and there were no replies to the existing posts regarding the issue.
Now I havent heard anything about these shafts but they are to claiming to do the same thing that the Predator 314 shafts can do. Have any of you heard anything about these shafts or tried them out. Are they comparable to the 314 shafts or are they just another bootleg copy? Is the 5 piece design comparable to the ten piece design?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-13-2003, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr>
.....Now for those who will flame me about posting this topic, dont worry I did the research first before I posted and there were no replies to the existing posts regarding the issue.....<hr /></blockquote>

LOL

I don't think the Tiger X has been discussed here.

Rod is the only person who will holler at you but that's just because he's a grumpy old man /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~grumpier old man

Rod
09-13-2003, 10:44 AM
No problem here and I don't holler, I have a quiet keyboard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Oh and I don't know didley about a Tiger shaft.

~~rod, not grumpy /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
09-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Jay,
Although I have seen the advertisment, I haven't hit with the TigerX cue yet.

The Predator started out with a 5 or 6 piece design in the early 90s, then went to the 10 piece later.

The multi-piece design is not new to the cue making industy. It was done by other cue makers sometime ago.

The Predator had the tip design different than other cues by haveing a hole in the tip end of the shaft to reduce MASS and lower the amount of Squirt. There is still squirt, its just not as much as other cues.

The TigerX cue is still unknown to me.. but I do like the solid design and will be willing to try it out, if I have the opportunity.

Koenig
09-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Tried one of E. Reyes cues in Cardiff it had hundreds of slices - a solid hit indeed.

Harold Acosta
09-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Everything related to billiards is trial and error. I dont buy the BS about Predators, nor on multi-laminated shafts but then that is me. I prefer the old maple shafts, not the new ones.

Find an old cue, check out the sturdiness and straightness of the shaft. Check if it fits your cue and purchase it. Then send it for refinishing and presto, a good old maple shaft with a solid hit!

Anyway, go with your guts. If you don't like the Tiger X unload it to someone else.

griffith_d
09-13-2003, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> I prefer the old maple shafts, not the new ones.
<hr /></blockquote>

The thing about wood when it gets old, is that it dries out, will get brittle and the smaller the piece of wood the worse it is.

Nothing wrong with getting "old growth" tree wood shaft, as it would tend to be better(smaller rings), but something too old I would tend to stay away from and keep it for looking at, refinishing or not.

I have strayed away from the 314, as I have purchased a BK and a 314 for the Meucci and have sold the BK and probably will sell the other 314 and Red Dot and use the Pechauer and the new Blackheart coming.

Griff

Deniel
09-13-2003, 06:37 PM
"E. Reyes cues in Cardiff it had hundreds of slices" &lt;- Koenig

Hundreds? was it Edwin Reyes' ER240 shaft?

griffith_d
09-13-2003, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deniel:</font><hr> "E. Reyes cues in Cardiff it had hundreds of slices" &lt;- Koenig

Hundreds? was it Edwin Reyes' ER240 shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it is the ER240 shaft. Edwin Reyes is a great cue maker in the Phillipines. He was making one for me for awhile and then the design could not get worked out. He was almost finished and I passed on the cue.

Great work though. If you can afford one, it is supposed to be about the stiffest shaft ever made, get one.

Griff

supercueman
09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
I think one thing to think about is... The predator with the 10 slices puts all the hit towards the center of the shaft... I think with the tiger x shaft all the force is on the outside slices and less in the middle... Maybe I am wrong.... I still like the predator...

Supercueman

magicman
09-15-2003, 10:47 PM
I never pay much attention to the claims made in ads, I let some other chump buy it first, then I ask to try his out. If is does nothing good for me, I just saved money. If it impresses me, then I buy it. I do not buy anything I don't drive around the block first.

Mr. Blonde
09-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Does anybody have a website address for these Tiger x shafts ?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-16-2003, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr. Blonde:</font><hr> Does anybody have a website address for these Tiger x shafts ? <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.tigerproducts.com/xshaft.htm

Fred Agnir
09-16-2003, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> The TigerX cue is still unknown to me.. but I do like the solid design and will be willing to try it out, if I have the opportunity. <hr /></blockquote>

Here's a site:

http://www.monkbilliardacadem-e.com/X-shaft.html

http://www.monkbilliardacadem-e.com/The_Monk_Reloaded-Monk-Reloaded-001.html

It's not really pie spliced. It's four pieces surrounding a square maple shaft. I'm just speculating, but if the square maple shaft only goes up to, say, 4-6" away from the tip, leaving a hollow square "tube," then that might not infringe on the "drill a hole to lighten the effective tip-end mass for decreased cueball deflection" verbage in Predator's quote.

Fred

Deniel
09-17-2003, 08:14 AM
"Yes, it is the ER240 shaft."&lt;-Griffith
Uhm.. interesting, I didn't know Efren uses Edwin's shaft.
Yeah, I agree, Edwin Reyes is definetely a great cue maker, too bad it's way too expensive for me. I heard his shaft run at $800? (sorry if I'm wrong, I don't really remember)

Isn't it interesting that one of the best cueist and one of the best cue maker share the same last name and initials ^__^

Deniel

Fred Agnir
09-17-2003, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deniel:</font><hr> I agree, Edwin Reyes is definetely a great cue maker, too bad it's way too expensive for me. I heard his shaft run at $800? (sorry if I'm wrong, I don't really remember)
<hr /></blockquote> $800? That would be incredible. Maybe 800 pesos.

Fred