PDA

View Full Version : DP/Schon cue question

br8knrun52
09-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm fairly new to this board and I finally registered /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I just wanted to get some opinions on the different hit between a Schon and a DP. I own a Schon now and I love the way is hits, but I'm looking into purchasing a DP (getting "bored" with my Schon, I haven't hit with a DP yet). Any info would help. Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

tateuts
09-14-2003, 09:19 AM
I have both a Schon and a DP. My Schon is an older cue early 1990's with two different shafts. It is one of my favorite hitting and playing cues. I think Schon has the right dimensions, and their shafts are excellent. Mine is crisp and firm with very little vibration.

My Dale Perry cue is a little different. The workmanship is flawless, the dimensions are thinner through the handle - so it feels different. The weight is forward, which causes the cue to feel heavier when stroked. The shaft is thicker through the taper, so the shafts are a little stiffer and not quite as lively. Uniloc joints are solid and less noisy than the Schon joint. I would say the Dale Perry is a more modern design with dimensions that are popular today. His cues are an exceptional value for a custom. A lot of Dale Perry's go for $300 - $600 on E-Bay, and that's cheap for a one off custom cue with two shafts. Dale is also good at getting orders out. I ordered a 30" shaft from him (which he had to make from scratch) and had it in my hands in a week. That's one advantage of having one joint design - the new uniloc shaft fit perfect without having to send the handle to the cue maker.

I would definitely recommend getting a Dale Perry if you are getting another cue, but you have to give yourself some playing time with it to adjust.

Chris

br8knrun52
09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Chris. I saw the DP on ebay for $650 and I like the work on it. Still deciding though...my wife doesn't see the reason for having 2 cues to shoot with /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif - I love her dearly though /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Kato
09-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Uhhhmmmm, I think it's time you take her aside and explain to her why you need as many cues as possible. Oh yeah, and if that doesn't work then you need to explain the "investment" potential /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

tateuts
09-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Rob,

Don't worry, cue buying is not a divorceable offense. If it were, my (fantastic) wife would have been out of there 30 sticks ago.

Just check out her shoe collection some time and add up the damages.

Chris

magicman
09-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Just go buy one, what the old lady does not know won't hurt her.

Vicki
09-16-2003, 10:18 AM
Dale Perry Cues are excellent and you'd be foolish not to upgrade to a custom cue from your Schon. You will have a hard time finding a more professional cue maker than Dale. You will not be sorry and your wife will forgive you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vicki

br8knrun52
09-16-2003, 11:53 AM
I explained to her everything and she understood /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif....I just can't get too "carried away" with purchasing cues /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Thanks to everyone for your responses.