PDA

View Full Version : New Blood Rocking the WPBA Boat!!

cuechick
09-14-2003, 06:47 AM
Allison 9-12th & Ga Young Kim 3rd or Better!!!!

I do find this all really interesting. I think for the first time in some time, the WPBA , so set in their ways and ranks, until now. With the introduction of a 64 player field really stirring the pot.
I think it is great, if the tour is going to grow at all, it needs this fresh blood.

I have found each tournament gets more exciting. I hope the old guard can see the long term benifits and not dump the format out of short sightedness and selfish concerns.

It appears Ga lost on the Hill to Karen after leading 5-2 (the AZ report was a bit hard to decifer, love those guys but who ever wrote that one, must have been pretty tired, "she won on the wrong side of a hill-hill match "...uh WHAT?)

Anyway, my point is, this is probally Allison's lowest finish in about 5 years or more. It happened to Karen this season too... I just think they can't take it for granted anymore. and as Martha would say, "It's a Good thing!"

Vagabond
09-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Howdy,
My celtic sister Karen & my DIVA Allison are here to stay on top.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cuechick
09-14-2003, 07:49 AM
I don't disagree, I am not saying either is done, my comment is only meant to praise the growing depth of the field. I also give a lot of credit to both Allison and Karen for raising the bar in Women's Pool in the first place!

Sid_Vicious
09-14-2003, 07:52 AM
I have noticed for a long time now that Alison's 9-ball game has suffered, and I mainly think it's the bad influence of the American "free swinging" style approach to the game. Alison used to be 99.9% guaranteed to never move on a shot when she first came over here, now she's guilty much more then usual. I also found no problem with her 9-ball break in the beginning, she made a ball most always with a moderate speed break, but the American commentators grilled her it seemed with, "Alison's only weakness is her break, I'm sure she will work on that in time and get more power." The situation back then was that Alison was perched on top and stayed there. The stay down, rythmic snooker stroke that carried her, latter began to get looser, and about then I noticed movement creeping into her stroke enough to cost her consistency when it really counted.

I wonder if she can get back to what she used to be? I don't really care for her early winning style, I'd rather see some flamboyance of play like Vivian and Jeanette, but I have to admit she was darn effective with the old game...sid

cuechick
09-14-2003, 07:55 AM
Also Karen and Allison are not the entire WPBA, they will I am sure both be at the top until they decided they want to stop. It is those players from the old guard that are hanging on by thier finger tips, that have to watch out. Many have already fallen by the wayside, the field has thinned and the the strong regional players are slidding in easily and filling the gaps...

Qtec
09-14-2003, 09:02 AM
To improve, you have to be challenged. To get better, you have to be threatened.

The fear of losing must be real.

Qtec

Nostroke
09-14-2003, 11:06 PM
G Y Kim beat Vivian then lost on the hill to Karen-missed a makable nine ball which brought her to near tears as she had just gotten a "second chance" In fact there were quite a few tears around. The first TV date im told is 9/29. Dont miss it!

The crowd was 99.9% for G Y KIM and in a frenzy by the time it went hill-hill; GY coming back from 6-4. Unfortunately they actuallly applauded a miss by Karen. GY Kim had a line three times longer than KC after the match for autographs and pictures which she pleasantly obliged dispite her huge disappointment. Karen made a very nice speech, half of which was in praise of GY Kim. I really have to give KC credit for that in the light of so much of the crowd rooting against her.

GY kim has a problem though- She doesnt have a spot for the next WPBA event in Canada and it is allegedly full- she has a spot for NEXT years event there. However after the response she got from the crowd in ABQ- if the WPBA doesnt find a way to get her in the Canadian tournament, they are friggin nuts. Ive been to a zillion tournaments and ive never seen a crowd get behind a player like this and i am sure that 90% had never seen or heard of her until this weekend.She definitely has charisma, something very much needed in the WPBA IMHO.

nAz
09-15-2003, 06:02 AM
GY kim does have game, saw her kick some male arse about 6 weeks ago in NYC. she has a strong game at 3:30 AM. played solid and didn't shake on the money shots... then again she had a backer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cuechick
09-15-2003, 06:32 AM
Personally, I think it is more nerve racking to play with some one else's cash. than your own. I guess it depends on how co- dependent you are. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barbara
09-15-2003, 08:53 AM
NoStroke,

The event that GY won at Castle in July was an undetermined Q that KellyO decided would be for Canada.

Good for GY!

Barbara

Nostroke
09-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Barbara
GY KIM and Jeanne Seaver said that the spot she won was a "players choice" for next year. I spent the entire day and evening with her and she does not believe she has a spot for Canada this year. She spoke of it to Lori Jon, Vivian, Monica Webb and others.

Funny thing, M Webb told her to just go to Canada and maybe she would get in as it was an expensive trip and there might be no shows- Then after thinking a while Monica changed her mind and said maybe that was a bad idea. I think Monica finally said to herself "what am i doing i dont want to face this girl in Canada!

Anyway i will give Jeanne S a call and tell her what you said.

Barbara
09-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Actually, the person with the final answer to this is Kelly Oyama.

Ga Young should talk to her and find out whether Kelly placed GY in the Canada tournment.

Barbara

Nostroke
09-15-2003, 11:30 AM
Yes i know but GY has been staying w Jeanne and GY on the phone w Kelly would result in less than a definitive answer im afraid. GY's English is still pretty weak, though she did get some comments about her improvement there. Jeanne can call Kelly and relay the info.