PDA

View Full Version : Which Gold Crown should I go with???

roughrider
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Hi, I am seeing some Gold Crowns pop up around my area. There are some II and III and I think there is also a Gold Crown I. I am trying to choose which one I should go with. Would the older Gold Crowns be better because they had higher quality back in the days or what? Also, can someone explain the big differences between the I, II, and III. I wouldn't mind a IV but I haven't found any used ones. So, should I go with the I, II, or III? Which one would you go with and why??? Thanks for your help.

Also, would the Gum Rubber cushions need to be replaced on the old Gold crowns? How much is the Brunswick Superspeed cushions for a 9' table?

Please give any suggestions that you might have. Thanks again.

L.S. Dennis
09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
I would go with which ever one is in the best condition at the best price. You have to call a billard suppy place for the price on the cushions.

griffith_d
09-15-2003, 09:16 PM
I have heard that the III was not as good as the II and the IV are the best of the lot. Hold out for a IV,...it might be a long wait.

Griff

magicman
09-15-2003, 10:33 PM
I really like the 4's, and if you change rubber, dont use theirs, go with the German Artemis, it's around $200, but it's worth every penney.

griffith_d
09-16-2003, 06:35 AM
I did not know you had that option on the IV,...it is really that much better?

Griff

Rich R.
09-16-2003, 06:49 AM
I don't know all of the differences, but I know that the III's, with ball returns, seem to have a problem with the balls falling out of the ball return box.

Fred Agnir
09-16-2003, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote roughrider:</font><hr> Hi, I am seeing some Gold Crowns pop up around my area. There are some II and III and I think there is also a Gold Crown I. <hr /></blockquote> If you're into scoring wheels mounted on the rails, black plastic pockets that mark up your stick, raised metal corners that attack your pants, balls jumping off the rail or out of the ball return box, by all means get any one of the Gold Crowns.

And to throw it in, many of the older GCs had ashtrays built into the corners. Yum yum.

With the limited choice, I'd opt for the GC II.

Fred &lt;~~~ or GC IV

Fred Agnir
09-16-2003, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote magicman:</font><hr> I really like the 4's, and if you change rubber, dont use theirs, go with the German Artemis, it's around $200, but it's worth every penney. <hr /></blockquote>Speaking of replacing cushions on Brunswicks, I visited my Alma Mater's pool hall yesterday (UMASS in Amherst). They have old Brunswicks, possibly Centuries or Centennials. They recovered them with Simonis, and replaced the cushions. I don't know if the new cushions are just incorrect for the old tables, but the balls were exploding off the cushions. Apparently, everyone complains about it. It took me about a half an hour to get anywhere used to it, but in the end, I wasn't really playing the game. I was just sort of batting them around trying to keep the cueball in play. New super fast cushions might not work on older tables. It could be the fit (cushion nose to high or too low). Some experienced pool mechanic please shed some light.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-16-2003, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> I did not know you had that option on the IV,...it is really that much better?

Griff <hr /></blockquote> I think so.

Fred

Pizza Bob
09-16-2003, 08:11 AM
Opt for the GCII. The GCII had dowelled slate (absent in the III's &amp; IV's) and leg levelers (supposedly absent in the I's). My GCII has 1 1/16" slate also. You might try a search over on the RSB newsgroup, I think this topic has been done to death over there with Dale Perry (the cuemaker) the authority. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Barbara
09-16-2003, 08:42 AM
Pizza Bob,

My GC1 has leg levelers. From what I understand the previous owner told me, lots of parts were interchangeable between the 1's and 2's.

Barbara

Cueless Joey
09-16-2003, 11:38 AM
My GCI has leg levelers as well.
The GC I has deeper slates too.
Ernesto is doing my Artemis cushions with 4 1/2" corner pockets right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Superspeed cushions are crap imo. They get hard fast.
GC II's are almost the same as the I's except the slates are not quite as deep in the pockets.
The III's are crap imo. The slates are doweled and the rails aren't as heavily built as the previous models.
I've heard the new IV's frame is not quite as sturdy as the old I's and II's.
But, if I had $4500, I'd buy a Gabriel table used in Vegas recently.

Pizza Bob
09-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Barbara &amp; Joey:

Please note, I said "supposedly". I had originally heard that leg levelers were standard on GCII's and optional on GCI's, but Dale Perry was adamant that they weren't offered on GCI's. My experience has been as yours. And Joey - I think you meant the GCIII's do NOT have dowelled slate, the GCII's were the last for that. This thread is taking on a life of its own.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cueless Joey
09-16-2003, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Barbara &amp; Joey:

Please note, I said "supposedly". I had originally heard that leg levelers were standard on GCII's and optional on GCI's, but Dale Perry was adamant that they weren't offered on GCI's. My experience has been as yours. And Joey - I think you meant the GCIII's do NOT have dowelled slate, the GCII's were the last for that. This thread is taking on a life of its own.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>
You might be right on GC I not having leg levelers. I bought one for a friend and the feet were not threaded.
That's right. The III's do not have doweled slates. I heard the III's were not really made by Brunswick. They were subcontracted. A friend of mine owned one. It played pretty bad. The rails thunked.

Rod
09-16-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm not fond of Superspeed either, speed or how long they last. Give us a report on how it plays when it's done.

Rod

jungledude51
09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <font color="blue"> </font color> I owned the biggest pool room in Louisiana and had I, II, and IIIs and the I actually played the best but was hard to find parts for.
I have a Gold Crown IV in my home and find it plays much better than the threes which is probably the worst of the four models. I think Gold Crowns are the best table ever made, the diamonds bank short, the AMAs were a cheap imitation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif