PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother

Qtec
09-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Anti-terror laws increasingly used against common criminals

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) --In the two years since law enforcement agencies gained fresh powers to help them track down and punish terrorists, police and prosecutors have increasingly turned the force of the new laws not on al Qaeda cells but on people charged with common crimes.

The Justice Department said it has used authority given to it by the USA Patriot Act to crack down on currency smugglers and seize money hidden overseas by alleged bookies, con artists and drug dealers.

Federal prosecutors used the act in June to file a charge of "terrorism using a weapon of mass destruction" against a California man after a pipe bomb exploded in his lap, wounding him as he sat in his car.

A North Carolina county prosecutor charged a man accused of running a methamphetamine lab with breaking a new state law barring the manufacture of chemical weapons. If convicted, Martin Dwayne Miller could get 12 years to life in prison for a crime that usually brings about six months.

Prosecutor Jerry Wilson says he isn't abusing the law, which defines chemical weapons of mass destruction as "any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury" and contains toxic chemicals.

Civil liberties and legal defense groups are bothered by the string of cases, and say the government soon will be routinely using harsh anti-terrorism laws against run-of-the-mill lawbreakers.

"Within six months of passing the Patriot Act, the Justice Department was conducting seminars on how to stretch the new wiretapping provisions to extend them beyond terror cases," said Dan Dodson, a spokesman for the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys. "They say they want the Patriot Act to fight terrorism, then, within six months, they are teaching their people how to use it on ordinary citizens."

Prosecutors aren't apologizing.

Q

Aboo
09-17-2003, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
The Justice Department said it has used authority given to it by the USA Patriot Act to crack down on currency smugglers and seize money hidden overseas by alleged bookies, con artists and drug dealers.

A North Carolina county prosecutor charged a man accused of running a methamphetamine lab with breaking a new state law barring the manufacture of chemical weapons. If convicted, Martin Dwayne Miller could get 12 years to life in prison for a crime that usually brings about six months.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Obviousyly Q, you are anti-government. Which is fine. But in this case, or at least the two stated above, I whole-heartedly agree with their methods. Meth and meth-labs are a HUGE problem in the US right now. Hell, drugs themselves are a huge problem. Anything that lengthens the sentance of a convicted manufacturer or distributor of meth or any meth like substance is fine by me.

Now, the pipe-bomb one... that is kind of stupid sounding, but the article you've quoted is very skimpy on details too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So who knows.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2003, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

.....Federal prosecutors used the act in June to file a charge of "terrorism using a weapon of mass destruction" against a California man after a pipe bomb exploded in his lap, wounding him as he sat in his car.

<font color="blue">A pipe bomb could certainly be used as a weapon of terror. se "Unabomber"

"Weapon of mass destruction" might be pushing it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<font color="blue">I don't agree with that. That's abuse of power IMO </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

If you think the Patriot Act is a terrible infringement of freedom, don't worry. Read this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&amp;node=&amp;contentId=A34482-2003Aug22&amp;notFound=true

Heather McDonald is a brilliant woman.

Cueless Joey
09-17-2003, 12:02 PM
ACLU's existence is why there are more criminals in this country commiting crimes over and over again.

Ward
09-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Wally

So is Hillary Clinton, do you believe everything she writes? Just checking...

Later

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2003, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> Wally

So is Hillary Clinton, do you believe everything she writes? .....<hr /></blockquote>

Do you?

Ward
09-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Wally

No, neither do I believe the right wing dribble that spews from some of the media, some in this administration or for that matter some on this board.

Later

Sid_Vicious
09-17-2003, 01:12 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
"They say they want the Patriot Act to fight terrorism, then, within six months, they are teaching their people how to use it on ordinary citizens."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

If this excerpt doesn't alarm even the most conservative of conservatives, much less all of the rest of us...then you all deserve what you get down the road. THIS CRAP SUCKS!!! sid

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2003, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> Wally

No, neither do I believe the right wing dribble that spews from some of the media, some in this administration or for that matter some on this board.

Later <hr /></blockquote>

Ward,

Only referring to this particular case, I believe Heather McDonald has no motivation to lie, whereas the opponents of Bush, Hillary included, have political motivation to lie.

If you think I am a Republican "purple kool-aid drinker" you're wrong. I just happen to agree with their policies more than the Dems.

I stopped listening to Limbaugh a long time ago due to his "Republican-good, Democrat-bad" drumbeat. I think it has ruined any credibility he had.

Ward
09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Wally

I agree Limbaugh is a nut, I can't believe ESPN added that crackpot on their football pregame show.

Later

eg8r
09-17-2003, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
THIS CRAP SUCKS!!! <hr /></blockquote> I agree Sid. I have been worried about this since the beginning. It is scary stuff.

eg8r