PDA

View Full Version : Conscience and your game...

Aboo
09-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Ok, I had a meeting scheduled last night... At the last minute it got canceled. Sooooo I neglected to tell my wife it got canceled. Grabbed my pool cues and headed to the pool hall for the weekly 8-ball tourny. I didn't EXACTLY lie to her, but I seriously omitted the facts.
Knowing that she REALLY doesn't like me playing in pool tourny's during the week. The few nights I don't work, she'd like me home.

Well, to make a long story short, I played like a chump anyway, lost my first two matches against opponents that I had every opportunity to beat. On the way home I was thinking to myself... "Well, you deserved that anyway..."
As a matter of fact, I was thinking that on the way there too...

Anyone else have this happen to them? Or am I the only one that sneaks out of the house to go to the pool-hall against the significant other's wishes?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-16-2003, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> ..... I didn't EXACTLY lie to her, but I seriously omitted the facts.

....I played like a chump anyway, lost my first two matches against opponents that I had every opportunity to beat. ......<hr /></blockquote>

karma /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aboo
09-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Yep, God was punishing me for being a dumb-arse. :P I just hope it doesn't carry over till Thursday's APA match lol

Qtec
09-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Thats negative thinking. Of course you cant play your game if you feel guilty.

Just like in pool, you do your thinking before you take the shot. By taking your cue, you were shooting before you had talked yourself itnto believing that it was cool to go play.

Next time, go home and surprise your wife. If she is good for you, she will appreciate it and you will be rewarded.

Well, thats the theory anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Rich R.
09-16-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> At the last minute it got canceled. Sooooo I neglected to tell my wife it got canceled.........

I didn't EXACTLY lie to her, but I seriously omitted the facts............

Knowing that she REALLY doesn't like me playing in pool tourny's during the week............ <hr /></blockquote>
BTW, didn't anyone tell you that your wife is a regular lurker on the CCB? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qmaster
09-16-2003, 11:56 AM
It's all about the confidence. I play my best when my confidence is tops.. What it is worth???

Aboo
09-16-2003, 12:08 PM
That's not funny at ALL Rich! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know it's false though. For one, my modem at home is FUBAR so she COULDN'T be lurking... and two, she will only play pool if she's had a few and forgets to be embarassed about losing :P She's not into it at all. Finds it boring as hell to watch me play for hours on end. So she doesn't :P

tateuts
09-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Aboo,

This is going to sound like preaching, but I'm going to say it anyway. You're probably working too many hours. There's no excuse for doing that to yourself and your family. Get it done in 8 hours or figure out how to. The bosses and/or your customers don't want people killing themselves and upsetting their wives either.

Secondly, you've got to be straight with your wife. She'll appreciate it. She'll respect you. More importantly, you'll respect yourself. Set a schedule, like "every Wednesday night" and stick to it. Life is too short to live afraid of upsetting your wife. I'm sure she will accept that. At least give her a chance.

Concerning work, I remember a story about a priest who said "I've seen a lot of men on their deathbeds, and not one of them has ever said "Gee, I wish I spent more time at the office!".

Chris

Rod
09-16-2003, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're probably working too many hours. There's no excuse for doing that to yourself and your family. Get it done in 8 hours or figure out how to. The bosses and/or your customers don't want people killing themselves and upsetting their wives either.
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris,
Jeez, I can't believe you said that. It's called being behind, economy or sometimes keeping your job. I'll bet everyone would like to work 9 to 5 and be finished for the day. Sometimes it simply doesn't happen. Turn us on to those cake jobs that pay well and have easy hours. Sometimes the bosses may not care and the customers really could care less. Quit you say, then who pays the bills? People had better be glad they have a decent job. Finding a good one isn't likely to be that easy.

Rod

tateuts
09-16-2003, 10:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
Chris,
Jeez, I can't believe you said that. It's called being behind, economy or sometimes keeping your job. I'll bet everyone would like to work 9 to 5 and be finished for the day. Sometimes it simply doesn't happen. Turn us on to those cake jobs that pay well and have easy hours. Sometimes the bosses may not care and the customers really could care less. Quit you say, then who pays the bills? People had better be glad they have a decent job. Finding a good one isn't likely to be that easy.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

I know what you mean about money pressure, etc., and I don't know everyone elses situation. I'm not saying "don't get the work done". I'm saying figure out a way to get it done so you can have a life and not so many regrets later on. Overtime should be the exception, not the rule. Your time with your family is really important. Time to yourself, for recreation, is important too.

I used to work too many hours - until I was about 40 - at the neglect of my myself and my family. I worked virtually every Saturday for many years always trying to get caught up. It's especially hard on your children if you have them.

Now I try to balance work and life, and believe me we are all a lot happier. I got rid of some of the unproductive things I was doing at work and some of the time wasting customers. I learned how to use computers to cut my hours.

Just some advice from an older former workaholic, for what it's worth. Now, if I could just get off this damn website my life would be complete!!!

Rod
09-16-2003, 10:23 PM
LOL, good luck on getting off this web site. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aboo
09-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Preach away doc. It's not skin off my nose. The meeting was for my second job. I'm a computer programmer, who works full-time in a salaried position. So my hours are not really my choice. My boss doesn't give two shits about how tired I am, he just wants the work done.

I do jobs on the side to make enough money to cover the morgtage until Sprint stops neutering the job market long enough for me to find another job.

I don't plan on working till I'm 70, so I work hard NOW to provide for my family. Because no one else will, and I won't let the government.

tateuts
09-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Rod,

Speaking of conscience, mind if I ask how the quit is going? I'm rootin' for ya!

Chris

Rod
09-17-2003, 05:41 PM
I choose not to smoke. Two Months! Thanks for asking.

Rod

tateuts
09-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Rod,

Alright!

Chris

Barbara
09-17-2003, 07:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I choose not to smoke. Two Months! Thanks for asking.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

You <font color="black">CAN SUCCEED</font color> at this!!! If you need help just ring me up!! It does get easier with each day and just stay out of the smokey areas, that helps a bunch!!!

Barbara

Jimmy B
09-18-2003, 02:08 AM
When I read the title I thought this was going to be about things that happen in a game. For example: In a game of nine ball I miss the easiest shots after I [censored] a ball, sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 shots to get it out of my head, I have a real problem thinking I deserve the win on a [censored] shot or because of dumb luck. This is one of the reasons I think there is a major mental side to pool (I know Fred will love that.) JB

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I choose not to smoke. Two Months! Thanks for asking.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Atta boy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally~~didn't want to be the one to bring it up /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Aboo
09-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Rod, congrats on that doc. I quit about 3 years ago... Not easy, but it's do-able. Like you said, you have to choose not to, sounds like your doing well at it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RUNaRAK
09-18-2003, 08:33 AM
It's all about the Karma, my brother! Confidence too!

Perk
09-18-2003, 08:38 AM
On the original topic, yes,,,i have many times snuck into the pool hall to play some, or just shoot the [censored] with the guys....of course, its not sneaking when I get home, and my wife says: "Where the hell you been, you smell like smoke?"

Hard to say the smoke is from work when I work in a smoke free environment.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif