View Full Version : Isabel Affecting U.S. Open Plans Anybody ??
Chris in NC
09-16-2003, 01:43 PM
We had planned to leave Thursday afternoon and arrive by Thursday night in time to see some of the night tourney matches before heading to Q-Masters to check out the late night action. However, due to the impending weather situation, as of now our plans are to wait until Thursday to see what's going on, and if necessary wait until Friday to leave here from the hurricane protected mountains in western NC.
Any others changing their travel plans to Chesapeake based on the hurricane? I know the Convention Center in Chesapeake is at least 10-15 miles inland from the coast, but it just doesn't seem like the prudent thing to head towards the coast when everyone else is making plans to leave!
This tournament has really been cursed with bad luck the past 3 years. I hope attendance is not too negatively affected by the hurricane, although I can't see how it could not be. This an absolutely tremendous event which we look forward to attending every year in addition to Valley Forge. Here's hoping that the Chesapeake / Va. Beach area gets spared from Isabel's wrath, and looking forward to seeing some of you posters this weekend! - Chris in NC
I heard there was a state of emergency delcared in Virginia. I was going to leave some time Thursday but I doubt that I will opt for driving through the hurricane just to find they won't let me drive east from Richmond. If it hits early Thursday and then peeters out I might reconsider but it looks doubtful.
You're almost half the distance and coming from behind so it should be a piece of cake.
09-16-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm still planning on leaving Friday. I'm glad I didn't plan to leave Thursday. Like Ken said, it would suck to get to Richmond and be stuck, probably with no room .
This sucks for Barry Behrman. I hope this is not as bad as it has the potential to be.
Wally~~has new wiper blades
09-16-2003, 02:55 PM
I am flying out tomorrow morning.
Hoping to get there Wednesday afternoon.
See everyone there.
Brian in VA
09-16-2003, 03:35 PM
According to Accuweather.com, the storm is most likely to hit the Outer Banks of NC late Thursday afternoon and then head north through central VA. By Friday morning, only showers should be left with great weather for the weekend. The Governor declared a state of emergency simply to mobilize resources early and make it as safe as possible. It's probably prudent to not be traveling into the Chesapeake area between noon Thursday and 8:oo a.m. Friday. If you do get stuck in the Richmond area, there should be rooms available as there is no special occurrences this weekend. This info is provided by the most reliable weather service I've found on the Web. And I'm here in Richmond, about 2 hours away from the tournament.
I'll see many of you Friday morning. Those of you who are traveling, drive safely.
Chris, I'm still planning on going. Ain't goin' let no Izbel stop me! Just leaving Durham Friday instead of Thursday.
Poor Barry -incredibly bad luck with the Open the past 3 years. From past experience we know he depends on gate receipts to help cover the prize payouts - hope things work out for him and the players.
09-16-2003, 05:21 PM
If he has again rolled the dice based on gate receipts and money he does not have, I won't feel sorry for him. There is no doubt receipts are not going to be what he may have projected, we will just have to see if the past has taught him anything. He has a very successful business all year long and as in any business, you have to be capitalized from the good times to support the bad times. A failed tournament is just part of the annual picture of the business. Like any set back It is part of business and you roll with it.
Barry has indeed learned. The $52,000 added is not "guaranteed" and is based on 256 players. If gate receipts are down he can lower that figure. If the players want the whole 52k then they need to support the event.
The Open has nothing to do with his other "business" and I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise. It stands alone as a seperate business venture.
I see that AZBilliards has stated that there will be no play on Thursday. It could be that travel on Friday will be possible. If they get hit hard the power could be out for a day or a week. It might be a good idea to call the Convention Center to find out.
09-16-2003, 05:59 PM
I would leave Weds. or Fri. It looks like you are going to have to cross the path of Izzy Thurs. A NC Highway Patrol friend of mine and a few other officers were headed down toward the I-40 section between Wilmington and I-95 to be in position to route traffic away from the coast on all lanes. It looks like traffic will be your biggest obstacle. Taking US58 at South Hill looks like your best choice to avoid traffic. Be careful and have fun. Lock
09-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Isabel is expected to hit the Philly area Thursday night into Friday. I live right next to the Delaware River and if the Northwest section of Isabel hits the Delaware Bay, it's gonna be a doozy, and even though we're about 70 miles from the bay, it's gonna surge somewhat.
Today we played hooky from work and went sailing at 1 pm for 4 hours. We saw the most amazing thing! During the course of our sail, we saw groups numbering 3/4/5 of BIG fishing boats come up the river and turn into a section of 4 marinas (one of which is ours) - about 17 boats total. These were sea-going private fishing boats - ranging 40 to 50 feet each. I call them "Major Seafoods" because they have the really high flying bridges. Pete and I figured they were coming up from the Jersey coast to safe harbor. We have NEVER seen anything like it! It was unbelievable!!
Also, it was very wavy. These guys throw a huge wake each.
Barbara~~~feeling like a cork in a bathtub...
09-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Our plans are to leave central Florida at noon on thursday and arrive in Chesapeake Friday after an overnight stop.
As Ken said AZ Billiards states that they will evaquate the building on Thursday and hopefully be able to return on Friday to resume play. Hopefully the building will not be damaged.
Last I heard the storm was downgraded to a Cat 2 with winds of 105 mph.
I wonder if they are evaquating from the local hotels there? Like the Holiday Inn. I'll give them a call when we are on the road to see if anyone is there.
09-16-2003, 09:12 PM
I will be there if I haft to walk all the way there. I will see you there Fri. Look for me.......... Joel
09-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Just finished rescheduling my flights. Am now arriving Wednesday evening instead of Thursday.
That is a good idea Dave. I hope it is early Wednesday evening, and you have a place to stay. It's a wonder their not cancelling flights in on Thursday. I guess they play that by ear. Good Luck.
09-17-2003, 03:35 AM
Did they mention when or how they would make up the matches from Thursday? Will the tourney still end by Sun. ? JB
09-17-2003, 06:20 AM
Maybe they will go to a 20 second shot clock. Jake
09-17-2003, 06:45 AM
They are evacuating everyone today. Landfall expected in outer banks at midnight tonight. If you are determined change your flight plans to friday.
WW seriously injured his back so take him off your list for the ccb tournamentas he cannot yet drive. I am still waiting to see what the hurricaine will do. I am not in dc but it would be a 5 hr drive for me if the roads are not blocked,for I am also a ?.
They are evacuating the outer banks and the beach area of Virginia Beach. I don't think that qualifies as "everyone".
First hurricane force winds expected Thurs morning with landfall after noon. About as far from midnight as you can get.
Path through Pennsylvania not up the east coast. Guess again, Laura.
Chris in NC
09-17-2003, 09:24 AM
We're keeping up with this storm hourly on the weather channel. We've changed our plans from leaving Thursday afternoon to leaving early Friday morning - it's about a 6 hour drive from here to Chesapeake. Based on what I'm now hearing, it appears that the storm is moving slower than expected, and that the worst of it won't hit the Chesapeake area until early Friday am and even into Friday pm. That's bad news for Barry, as the Friday night session is always one of most heavily attended sessions of the entire event.
Even we have to wait and leave very early Saturday morning, I'm still hoping we'll go. We're certainly not going to leave until we know the storm has passed, and that they have electricity, etc. in order to play the tourney.
It sounds to me like Barry should change his plans of cancelling matches all day and night on Thursday. I would think they'll at least be able to get in the Thursday morning and afternoon matches, but the Friday morning and afternoon matches I'm guessing will have to be re-scheduled. The smaller sized field this year may be a blessing, as it may allow him to still finish the tournament by Sunday even with the rescheduled sessions. - Chris in NC
09-17-2003, 09:34 AM
There are several weather theories. 'Expect the worst and hope for the best'. Perhaps it will downgrade further.
09-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Im not sure if anyone mentioned this but the arena has to be empty by 1100PM wednesday and there will be NO PLAY Thursday. Due to the small field, it should still finish by Sunday if Isabel isnt huge here. It does look like its heading directly to this area though.
09-17-2003, 10:37 AM
If you go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ it saves having to wait and wish. You can look at the same info the local weather guy is seeing. All day yesterday the pressure stayed around 959 after it had done the initial weakening. It now it is at 957 with winds at around 109 and gusting winds at 130. With the little warmer water it should not weaken again (it will probably get a little stronger) till it encounters land. The weather people don't want to be scaring people and they don't want to get caught saying everything is fine when it is not. It is a tough job. They are always afraid of crying wolf. Everything involving these storm's are serious. The last one that came through where I am, After things calmed down A family went out to take a walk in their neighborhood to look at the damage. The dog ran into a puddle where there was a down wire. when the dog was electrocuted the two kids ran in after it and the mother ran in after the kids. all of them were electrocuted. When ever I hear people joking about this stuff or not taking it seriously, it just tells me they are probably just bums and renters who don't own a thing. To them it is just an adventure and a day off of work. They can't identify with people who are responsible for the well being of their families, businesses, employees and what they have worked a life time for. You see them interviewed on the TV all the time . I don't even get angry any more when I hear them. One guy interviewed the other day, I think it was on CNN, actually said he did not really care what happened since he is in construction and it would mean work for him. I personaly could care less about what happens at the US Open compared to the possibility of even one person being injured or killed as a result of this storm.
09-17-2003, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
....I personally could care less about what happens at the US Open compared to the possibility of even one person being injured or killed as a result of this storm. <hr /></blockquote>
I have judiciously avoided the urge to feel sorry for myself. Sure my travel plans may be disrupted but anyone who has a home or business in the path of this thing has a problem a thousand times worse than mine.
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Ditto popcorn. I am in western va. All motels here are already booked. They have taken in cats and dogs, bending the rules. Homes are taking people in and pets. Those with facilities are also taking in horses. Kennels are squeezing in xtra pets and not charging anything.
I have been watching the weather channel for the last two days. Unless it is incorrect, it is looking like a strong category 2 or 3 by landfall with a 200 mile band, which also includes dc, but not as bad there because it has to travel up the potomac river.
I am worried about ray/whitewolf. He is in dc. I am safe in western va with my mom and my 3 dogs are safely kenneled here too.
A foot of snow would not bother me, but hurricaines scare me. This one was supposed to landfall in palm beach, fla where my son is and turned up coast. You cannot predict what a hurricaine will do. If we are lucky, it will turn suddenly and head out to sea. I hope so for a lot of people. But it is not looking that way so far.
Your story of the family who were electrocuted made me very sad. As I mentioned before, I grew up in virginia with my grandparents living on the fla coast and they were wiped out more than once.I still have horrible memories of those times and I still have nightmares
09-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I truly am worried about the ccbers at the beach if things get bad. Lots of people here from the beach. We are 4-5 hours down 460w. If any of them have to get out, they could come here and I could find them a place to stay.
Gosh I hope this things turns and goes back out to sea.
09-17-2003, 06:10 PM
It was hurricane Irene in 1999. The people lived in Weston an upscale community in west Broward county. The storm was not suppose to be much of anything but they were wrong. It changed direction unpredictably and dumped huge amounts of water causing bad flooding. I had a tree come down that took the electrical drop right off the building. We had not put up the shudders because it was suppose to go into the gulf. The saddest part of the story about the family was how the mother went into the water to try to save the children. Witnesses said you could tell they were being electrocuted and the mother ran in anyway. I managed to find the story (see link)
It may be one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I remember the father being Interviewed. These areas are very dangerous shortly after one of these storms. Even with just some of our summer storms, you often get river banks that overflow into the street and you can't tell where the road is. You read every year about people just driving into a canal thinking they were still on the road.
09-17-2003, 08:06 PM
It is beginning to look like we might have to cancel our trip. We were going to leave at noon tomorrow, about the time the Hurricane hits land, and get a motel overnight in NC but with everyone leaving the coast we might not be able to find a motel. Such is life. Life is supposed to be a bowl of cherries - but not rotten ones.
09-17-2003, 10:21 PM
It may be hard to get a room. Once they evacuate they don't let people go back to their homes right away till they know everything is OK. When Andrew hit I was at a tournament in Gainsville. I forfeited my match and headed home. When it seemed like there was nothing I could do I figured I would just stop somewhere and wait it out. You could not get a room anywhere as far north as Orlando. I ended up just going home. That is really another story.
09-17-2003, 11:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> These areas are very dangerous shortly after one of these storms. Even with just some of our summer storms, you often get river banks that overflow into the street and you can't tell where the road is. You read every year about people just driving into a canal thinking they were still on the road. <hr /></blockquote>
I lived through what we call in my home town 'the flood of 85'. The river came out of the banks when it was just a flood watch. I was locked where I was because the road out from where I lived was torn out for about a half mile . I was going to drive out and luckily I listened to a friend or would have gone down river and might have been killed. I was locked there for several days, separated from my 12 yr old son who luckily had been rescued from his school by my parents.
Many lost their businesses and homes. Some died. I learned the power of water in a very first hand way. I knew due to my childhood that hurricaines were worse but had no idea a simple flood had this power. When we are talking about all of it, floods, high winds, etc, I know enough to stay away.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.