PDA

View Full Version : What the best cue for some one on a budget

striker
09-16-2003, 01:49 PM
First of all just wanted to introduce myself, this is my first post here. I have been playing pool now for 20+ yr and I consider myself a pretty good player. I really enjoy the game and try to play as much as possible. Back to the question at hand.

Recently my brother move in town and he would like to buy a cue. I have had mine for so long that I really not sure what good out there in his price range. He looking to spend about 150-200$. Do any of you guru have any advice on what to get or what to stay away from? Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks Striker

heater451
09-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Before you get blasted with "this gets asked all the time/go searching", I will simply type two words: Lucasi, and eBay.

(I just wanted to throw out one name, but you should also realize that Lucasi makes a "Dave Pearson" line, and Vintage. I think there's another couple, but I'm not sure--perhaps someone else will fill in here. . . .)

Okay, okay. . .I will mention Viking as well, since I've always liked them---I own one Viking and one Lucasi (and I bought a Viking for my wife). Everyone I've ever met that had a Lucasi has liked theirs a lot, and most IMO would recommend one as well.

=======================

Geoff
09-16-2003, 04:06 PM
I was in the same situation myself a few months back, I would heartily suggest a Viking. That is what i chose and I have never regretted it. I got my VM-34 on e bay w/ a 2x4 case, and some accesories for $160 to my door. IMHO it is a very well made product, and if you wanted to later, you could easily change out the shaft to a predator or whatever you like.

tateuts
09-16-2003, 05:05 PM
A guy I know who is an experienced played and collector was amazed at the quality of these cues being sold on E-Bay called "KC Cues". The ones he thought were good were the Southwest copies. They go for about $100. He has two Southwests ($2000 cues) and insists these KC Cues are nearly as good. Granted they are imports but they are done right I guess.

Chris

striker
09-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks when I first got to the forum I did do a search but really didn't pull much with a price. When I started to look at what most play with it was 300$ and up. I appriciate the advice on what to search under. I'll give it a try.

striker
09-16-2003, 06:19 PM
I just wanted to say Thanks for the advice everyone and sorry if this is asked all the time

Fred Agnir
09-17-2003, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote striker:</font><hr>
. He looking to spend about 150-200$. Do any of you guru have any advice on what to get <hr /></blockquote>
Low-end JOSS, new, from eBay.

Fred

ryushen21
09-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Another vote for Lucasi. get on ebay and look up Lucasi. you can easily find a great cue in that price range,

Jimmy B
09-18-2003, 02:03 AM
I'd say try e-bay, you can often get cues that are worth more then they sell for there if you know what you are looking for, also it gives you the option to set the price you want to pay and let it go, don't get caught up in the bid wars, just place your bid at the price you want and pray. I've seen many production cues (McDermott, Meucci, Viking, and Lucasi) sell for 60% or less off retail. My other suggeston is to always buy a quality name, if by chance you don't like it the resale is always better. JB

Snyder1
09-18-2003, 06:49 AM
Do a search on ebay for Players cues. Look for one with nice wood points &amp; inlays &amp; you'll have an excellent cue for under a hundred bucks - here's an example with Purpleheart butt &amp; ebony points (no affiliation, etc etc) ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3627558055&amp;category=21 212

JS

RUNaRAK
09-18-2003, 09:11 AM
For the money, and a very good production cue. I would add an O.K. to Lucasi or Viking. Ebay, I agree is a great place to save money..

striker
09-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice, Ebay does have some great deals. I would have never of thought to look there. I think my bro has decided on a Lucasi or Viking so far. He found a few he really likes and going to make a final decision by Sunday. After looking at some myself I want a new one /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Thanks again

Striker

dmgwalsh
09-18-2003, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote striker:</font><hr> Thanks for all the advice, Ebay does have some great deals. I would have never of thought to look there. I think my bro has decided on a Lucasi or Viking so far. He found a few he really likes and going to make a final decision by Sunday. After looking at some myself I want a new one /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Thanks again

Striker <hr /></blockquote>

ONe last vote for Viking and Ebay. I got a very good Viking vm-26 off Ebay with a case for $105.00. I'm no expert though and have only hit McDermott's, Lucasi, Joss one time.
But for now, I am happy wit the Viking.