PDA

View Full Version : Cue Hit ***Top 5 list***

Jimmy B
09-17-2003, 02:13 AM
It came up in another thread, so I gave it a whole new one. I'd like to hear some opinions on what your top 5 hitting cues are. I already gave my list, but I'd like to hear from a few others. Please don't bother if you're a new player and have only tried 2 or 3 different cues, it would be real tough to have a top 5 list when your choices are between Meucci and Cuetech. JB

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2003, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>

...Please don't bother if you're a new player and have only tried 2 or 3 different cues....<hr /></blockquote>

OK no problem.

Cueless Joey
09-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Zylr, Hagan, Prewitt, Szambotti and Petersen. In random order.

tateuts
09-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Tad, Paul Huebler (custom), Gina, old Schon, Josswest

Doomsday Machine
09-17-2003, 02:39 PM
In order of playing quality, "feel" &amp; hit:
Jerry Franklin Southwest
Joss West 70's (Bill Stroud)
Original Balabushka
Gina
Tim Scruggs

Later, Doomsday

Rod
09-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Wally,

Do you feel degraded, kind of a snubby attitude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif LOL
Not to worry I've played with many and some of the so called kings listed don't play any better than some production cues.

Rod

joevan
09-17-2003, 03:25 PM
My Skip Weston
the late Paterson Georges' Gus Szamboti (now mine)
We sold a Balabushka that belonged to Mike Karella
The Hoppe Skip we have for sale now
We sold a Palmer Model J that was the best hitting Palmer we ever had IMO..
Now these are the best cues I have hit with.. doesn't mean everyone will like the same thing or that the list is permanent.. until today these are the best I played with..
I also have some awesome runner ups.. but you only asked for 5... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Popcorn
09-17-2003, 03:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote joevan:</font><hr>
We sold a Balabushka that belonged to Mike Karella
<hr /></blockquote>

How rare is that, he broke almost every cue he ever had. He once got a brand new Ginacue, and broke it the same day. Without asking you who you are, where did you know Mike from? Did you also know Jerry Hunt?

Popcorn
09-17-2003, 04:06 PM
I once owned a Ginacue that was a magic cue, also a Ivory joint Szamboti, which played exceptional. Very rare cue, he did not make many, like a fool I sold it to Mike the Russian. By the way, I owned at least a dozen other Szambotie's some used and a few he made for me that I did not like at all. As many cues as I have owned I can't think of any others that I really thought were outstanding. Nostalgically I guess a cue by Frank Paradise that was the first custom cue I owned. Every cue maker can make great cues, the trick is for the cue to get into the hands of the right player. A great cue to one may not be so great to someone else.

tateuts
09-17-2003, 05:23 PM
I would like to add that my custom shop Huebler is the best playing cue I've ever had. I think Paul is underrated and overlooked as a cue-maker. He's been around a long time, he "does his own thing", he's honest, he's made playing cues for champions (like Balsis). I guess he's kind of the blue collar, non-fancy doodad cue-maker. The nylon inserts in the shafts, his innovation, really work to give the shaft a tight fit and kill some vibration. It's kind of strange I never see his name mentioned in these sort of lists.

Chris

Drake
09-17-2003, 05:54 PM
I have played with a Keith Josey Custom Cue for the past two years. It is by far the stiffest cue I have ever shot with. He very acceptable to fitting a cue to your preferences and he stands behind his work. Great guy who makes a very very stiff cue.

Cueless Joey
09-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Chris, why does he use that nylon insert with a small pin with very fine thread?
They break easily.

griffith_d
09-17-2003, 05:55 PM
I haven't owned very many cues, but I have been playing for 25 years. My first good cue was an old Brunswick, steel joint and was, as they say a "hard hitting" cue. Very nice, but plain.

I have owned a Predator BK, sold it.

Meucci(and a 314 for it), use it for breaking and will sell it.

But my playing cue is a Pechauer, a very nice "soft hitting cue.

I have a Blackheart soon to come and a Lambros in the queue to be made. I will have to see about these two.

Griff

Barbara
09-17-2003, 07:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote joevan:</font><hr> the late Paterson Georges' Gus Szamboti (now mine)

<font color="red">You have Patterson George's cue??? You Bitch!!!</font color>

We sold a Palmer Model J that was the best hitting Palmer we ever had IMO..

<font color="red">You've found a Palmer that doesn't kill your arm with vibration from being an overly back-balanced cue? Good for you!</font color>

<font color="red">So what was Patterson George's real name? Do ya know?</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara~~~saw PG a couple years ago at the SB Expo, and then he was "gone"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

joevan
09-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Popcorn,
We received the Karella cue from someone in Detroit. I am in NJ and funny you mention Mike the Russian. If its the same guy from the NY/NJ area, my uncle knew him. In fact my uncle traded him the Szamboti for a Joss and cash. My uncle had Gus put a leather wrap on the Joss, (he did him a favor) then the next week my uncle got the Boti back. I am in NJ and saw alot of things.. the tail end of the Hi-Cue and the peek of the West End tourneys.. Now I just like dealing cues. If cues could talk... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Jimmy B
09-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Hey Barb George was Joe's Uncle, I'm sure that Joe doesn't feel so lucky to call the cue his own now. I'm sure he would have been much happier getting it in another 20+ years.
JB

Barbara
09-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Jimbo,

I didn't know that. I guess I have to see joevan in person.

The last thing I remember about Patterson George was that he told me he was playing out of Tacony, and playing opposite handed in set games.

I'll always remember Henry.

Barbara

Popcorn
09-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Thats the same guy he was always trading around cues. I wanted to mention the correct spelling of Mike's name is
Mike Carella

joevan
09-18-2003, 12:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Jimbo,

I didn't know that. I guess I have to see joevan in person.

The last thing I remember about Patterson George was that he told me he was playing out of Tacony, and playing opposite handed in set games.

I'll always remember Henry.

Barbara

<hr /></blockquote>

Barb,
I think you would know me, I work the Pool Table Magic Booth every year. I think I know who you are.. curly hair shoots with a Barry? Anyways Henry "George" was indeed my uncle and a damn good player. In fact this October will mark another year. I remember the first Hopkins show I made the walk from the show side to Chumleys alone.. there was no worse feeling I think I ever had.
While George was working in Delanco he would play in Tacony. When he made it up north he played out of Crown Billiards. Teddy Garahan and Paterson George the two house pros, what kind of room is that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Ralph S.
09-18-2003, 01:37 AM
Of all the cues I have tried, my own and those of others, I can narrow it to two that I prefer. My Jacoby and McDermott. I am awaiting completion of my Blackheart and am about ready to send the funds for it. I hear they are a very solid hitting cue. If that is the case which I beleive it will be, I will fall in love with it immediately LOL.

Barbara
09-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Joe,

I can't picture you just now, but I always stop by Mark's booth at the Expo at some point in time. If only to point at the Balabushkas and Szambotis and say, "Got it, got it, need it, need it, need it...". You get the picture.

Henry worked in Delanco? That's one town over where I live.

And I misspoke when I said he played opposite hand. Patterson George was a one-arm player. He had a very scary one arm game.

Nicest guy, too. I can still picture him working that one booth at the Expo I last saw him.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wally,

Do you feel degraded, kind of a snubby attitude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif LOL.....

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod,

My 5 favorite hitting cues are, in order from worst to best:

A HARVARD from Sears. It came with my 6' x 3' plywood bed table.

A "Jack Daniels" model from Wal-Mart (don't get the "Harley-Davidson" model, they're not as good)

An aluminum cue with screw-on tip I got at a yard sale.

A graphite Excalibur

and the 17 oz. bar cue at the Reef Tavern with the cigarette burn on the butt.

Wally~~hopes he didn't waste Jimmy B.'s time..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RUNaRAK
09-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Cognoscenti, Predator, Olivier, Richard Harris and Tad..
Just my feeling. I know, Predator is a production cue, but they feel great to me..

joevan
09-18-2003, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Joe,

I can't picture you just now, but I always stop by Mark's booth at the Expo at some point in time. If only to point at the Balabushkas and Szambotis and say, "Got it, got it, need it, need it, need it...". You get the picture.

Henry worked in Delanco? That's one town over where I live.

And I misspoke when I said he played opposite hand. Patterson George was a one-arm player. He had a very scary one arm game.

Nicest guy, too. I can still picture him working that one booth at the Expo I last saw him.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Henry was a driver for Jevic transportation. Henry could play left handed or one handed. His mentor Miami Gonzales owned a room in Paterson NJ, which is where the name Paterson George stems from. Miami is still alive in Detroit and still quite the hustler I hear, even at his age. Miami's one handed game might be the best I ever saw. George was known as the son Miami never had.. he played like him except, the hustle part.

Joe

Aboo
09-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Holy crap! I think I have a bar cue made by the same guy! Has his signature cigarrette burn on the but anyway... Great cue. I use it to break with now. The Canadian Leaf bar cue with the rainbow shaped shaft is my current fav. Do you have any pictures of that bar cue?? I'd like to compare them....

LOL

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Nice license plate.

Too bad Ohio has the ugliest plates in the States LOL

Jimmy B
09-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Wally~~hopes he didn't waste Jimmy B.'s time..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Hey Wally if I had anything better to do I wouldn't be here. I'm sorry you miss the point that making a top 5 list when all you've ever tried were 2 cues is pointless. I'd suggest you get out there and buy some cues, if things are tough in Hamiltucky get a third job, then stop back and give me some feedback. If I offend you I'll grab you a tissue, now back to wasting my time. JB

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>
Hey Wally if I had anything better to do I wouldn't be here.

<font color="blue">Yeah same here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

I'm sorry you miss the point that making a top 5 list when all you've ever tried were 2 cues is pointless. I'd suggest you get out there and buy some cues, if things are tough in Hamiltucky get a third job, then stop back and give me some feedback.

<font color="blue">Hell I can't even handle my one job /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

If I offend you I'll grab you a tissue, now back to wasting my time. JB

<font color="blue">Later. I just thought your original post was a bit...um..."elitist" ? Maybe I took it wrong.

Wally~~will never be among the elite, semi-elite, quasi-elite, or even pseudo-elite for that matter 'cause I can't run 3 friggin' balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

tateuts
09-18-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Chris, why does he use that nylon insert with a small pin with very fine thread?
They break easily. <hr /></blockquote>

I've stripped one insert - but I've played Huebler's for 10 years now. I stripped it with a joint protector that was not well machined. The nylon is tougher than you think, but you do have to be careful to make sure the threads are started right when you put the stick together. I sent the shaft in and I had it back in about 10 days all better.

The insert seems to do a couple of things. One, the fit is very tight - my cues have no play at all when screwing the shaft in, but it does take quite a few twists to get it together. The insert is stable versus tapping directly into the shaft (where the wood screw hole eventually gets worn loose). I also think the insert reduces the noise. My Hueblers have a very distinctive hit unlike other cues and virtually no vibration.

Chris

Cueless Joey
09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
I've seen a few of those stripped.
Huebler's mistake was using a fine 18 pitch pin instead of the 14 pitch pin.
Wood threads actually last forever when done right. When they get lose, all you do throw in some hot water in the hole and the wood expands. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

caedos
09-20-2003, 05:38 PM
In order of preference:
1.) Jerico
2.) Cognoscente
3.) Southwest
4.) Huebler
5.) Insert any number of great cuemakers here.

09-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Years ago Patterson George played out of Rizzzuto's in Midland Park NJ. He was a real nice guy and I enjoyed playing pool with him very much. Fred

socrates
09-21-2003, 10:00 PM
My comments limited to cues I have owned and played with for over a month or two.

Advanced Accuracy Cues by Mark Wilson/Mike Durbin.
Widowmaker by Kinister.
Nova cues by Nubs Wagner.
Schon
Pechauer, both JP and Pro-Series.