PDA

View Full Version : Meucci

Qtec
09-17-2003, 06:15 AM
AnYbody ever play with a Meucci 97-15 model?

Is it anything special?

Whats a reasonable price for a 2nd hand cue thats had a few knocks?

Thanks.

Qtec

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2003, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> AnYbody ever play with a Meucci 97-15 model?

Is it anything special?
Qtec <hr /></blockquote>

Don't even think about it. That's the same cue Dick Cheney shoots with

hth

Qtec
09-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Dick couldnt play pool.
Pool is truth.There are no lies on a pool table.
He might say he potted a ball on the break, but it is easy to check if thats true or not.

It would be impossible for him to play a call shotgame ie 8b.

You can only lie to yourself on a pool table.

Qtec
What about the cue?

Cueless Joey
09-17-2003, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Dick couldnt play pool.
Pool is truth.There are no lies on a pool table.
He might say he potted a ball on the break, but it is easy to check if thats true or not.

It would be impossible for him to play a call shotgame ie 8b.

You can only lie to yourself on a pool table.

Qtec
What about the cue? <hr /></blockquote>
You've never read Bob Meucci's advertisement, have you?
Meucci's a fine American product. You'll love 'em.

Rod
09-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Haven't a clue, but I have it from a good source Bob Meucci is a Bush supporter. Wouldn't that feel tacky in your hands knowing that? Well if that doesn't do it how about that sprayed wrap, does that feel tacky? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

Qtec
09-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Of course I have checked the cue out on the net, but I havent had this cue in my hand.

I was wondering if it is a particuarly good model or are they all the same constrution. As I said, its 2nd hand so I dont think it has the new shaft. What kind of shaft construction did Meucci have when this model came out?

Thanks

Qtec

Cueless Joey
09-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Don't bother.
I've seen a ton of Meuccis in my local cue repairman's shop.
The joint collars and ferrules are made of soft plastic. They are not threaded. They glued with yellow or some kind of cheap glue. Not epoxy. Meuccis shafts have always been "spineless" as far as I know. They are very thin in the joint end and are very whippy. Funny thing is, a ton of straight-rail/3-ball players locally where I live love Moochis. They bring a ton of repair business with their Moochis.

tateuts
09-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Qtec,

I collect old logo Meucci's and I've had a few of the newer cues. The model you are talking about - the 97-15, is (was) pretty popular. They are going for about $200 on E-Bay used, give or take $20, and $250 - $290 in new or near new condition. That would be with one red dot shaft (which is what it comes with unless ordered otherwise). The red dot shafts are good, but fairly soft - so if you like a soft shaft they're great. I don't think you want the black dot shafts which are laminated and tend to warp or fall apart.

Here's my take on newer Meucci's and Meuccis in general. I like they way most of them play. The cues feel pretty good, neutral balance, but the shafts are definitely not stiff. The cues are prone to (minor) warping for some reason. You will rarely find an old Meucci that's dead straight. Sometimes I wonder if it's because they are bought and stored by inexperienced players, or because they are distributed in the hot and humid southern USA - I don't know.

The combination of wood to wood joint with plastic joint collars, soft plastic ferrule material, soft shaft, and medium factory Le Pro tip give the cue a super mello hit. You can get all kinds of action on the cue ball for some reason with few miscues.

Is the 97-15 any more special than any other Meucci? No - it's a nice looking design, but that's all.

Meucci has had quality control problems. I think they've rushed to get new designs out without enough thought as to quality. The company will definitely stand behind their cues and have a very talented (but somewhat backlogged) repair department.

Chris