PDA

View Full Version : State considers public smoking ban

PQQLK9
09-17-2003, 06:52 AM
The state Legislature is considering a bill that will make it illegal to smoke in any public place, including all restaurants, pool halls, bowling alleys and bars.

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/97/17/01_3.html

SPetty
09-17-2003, 08:18 AM
"Michael Crutcher, a visiting lecturer from the University of Kentucky, enjoys a cigarette and beer on the outside patio of Gentle Ben’s. He says he smokes because “the chicks dig it.” "

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaaaaaha

bluewolf
09-17-2003, 08:27 AM
MD passed a smoking ban, which was supposed to be effective this month. I heard that they postponed it though, due to restaurant complaints and the economy.

Rod
09-17-2003, 09:21 AM
I just love law makers and their ways of ruining someones life, while making it sound uneventful. At least if it is a state ban it will be fair to all. Well about as fair as you can get. It beats the hell out of seeing business's close when their patrons can literally go across the street to another city that does allow smoking.

Rod

ms_cue
09-17-2003, 11:32 AM
been lurking for awhile and thought I'd post my 2cents worth. I'm here in lovely NYC which has been smoke free for about 6months (maybe more). All I can say is that it inspired me to quit and has helped me to remain smoke free. Believe it or not, it's actually nice to go into a pool hall, bar etc, spend hours on end there and return home not smelling like an ashtray... saves $ on laundry bills.

PQQLK9
09-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Bailus Walker Jr., a professor of environmental and occupational medicine at Howard University who chairs the Smokefree D.C. coalition, said: "The truth is simple: Secondhand smoke kills." He cited evidence that secondhand smoke is a cause of lung cancer, heart disease, bronchitis, asthma and other ailments.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26533-2003Sep17.html

RUNaRAK
09-18-2003, 01:50 PM
It would be nice to come home smelling a bit better than an ashtray! I must agree. That would be the only way that Pool Halls would be smoke free!

pooltchr
09-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Does anyone beside me get tired of the way our government representatives continue to take every opportunity to pass a new law about this or that, all the while raising our taxes to pay for the buracracy to create and enforce all these laws. I'm not saying smoking is a good thing, just saying that I don't think it's the business of government to tell me what I can or can not do. If a business owner wants a nice clean good smelling place, he can have his own smoking ban, but it's his business and he should be able to run it the way he sees fit.

Rod
09-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Careful, don't throw rocks at a hornets nest. LOL People here get way to verbal on this subject. Yes that bugs me too, but we elect them.

My complaint was it needed to be fair. If there is a smoking ban, make it the whole state. Just a town or two really hurt a lot of business owners. They had to sell out but no one wanted to buy a failing business. So belly up in many cases. That's not fair, take a persons life/business and toy with the outcome.

Rod

Aboo
09-22-2003, 02:33 PM
"... take a person's life/business and toy with the outcome..."

That is exactly the point. They are forcing they're opinions into our personal lives. If the public wanted bars and pool halls to be "smoke free" then they wouldn't smoke in them! I'm a non-smoker, having quit some years ago for reasons OF MY OWN. I spend a lot of time in bars and pool halls and the smoke doesn't bother me a bit.

Personally, I wish they'd just ban them country wide over night like they did with alchohol way back when. Then, maybe folks would wake up and realize that they're civil rights are being violated and "throw the tea into the bay" so-to-speak.

Qtec
09-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Not this again. LOL

Q