PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Advice

c.holtz009
09-17-2003, 12:38 PM
I know a few little things about breaking like looking for wear spots and such, but what else can a person do to improve their chances of pocketing balls on the break in 9 - ball?
I've tried breaking from the rail, from between center and the rail and such, but my frequency of balls on the break seems to be lacking. I have great power in my break, and I nearly always park the cueball in the middle of the table. It just seems that no balls go in, and then my opponent has a near perfect table to work with.
IMHO, the break is the second most important shot in 9 - ball, next to pocketing the nine.
Anyone have any suggestions?

tateuts
09-17-2003, 01:19 PM
For one, make sure you are getting a good rack. I would say 90% of the players out there can't rack. They push the balls forward into the triangle and the balls spring back loose. They should be sqeezing them together frozen while pushing slightly forward and down. Wooden racks are usually warped and plastic racks have too much give.

When my break is not working, I keep the same break but aim slightly off center on the one ball. I break from the right rail, so I will aim slightly left of center on the one and usually the right wing ball will start diving toward the corner pocket. If that doesn't work, I'll go to slightly right of center. I'm just talking small increments - not enough to lose the cue ball. Some times I'll make this change and consecutively pocket 2 or 3 balls rack after rack after coming up dry before that. I prefer to hit the one ball dead on but like you said, if you're not making a ball your just setting up your opponent.

When nothing's going in, some players hit the cue ball with less speed but I prefer to change the aim slightly and smash 'em.

Chris

ryushen21
09-17-2003, 10:46 PM
i would probably start out by finding a spot that you are comfortable breaking from. for me it is pretty much always areound the intersection of the first diamonds on the left side. i usually manage to pocket at least one ball from that position.

the rack is an important factor. if it is lose, obviously, you aren't gonna get much movement on the break. you just kind of have to check for tightness and go from there.

i also find it helpful to stroke all the way through the ball. i usually aim just a hair below center and make sure that i stroke all the way through the cue ball and that helps me with more strength and better control. hope that helps.

Jimmy B
09-18-2003, 01:59 AM
My advice is to AIM, most people don't really aim on the break they get so worked up with trying to smash the rack that they don't even care where they hit it. So aim and hit them FAST, speed and hard are different things (I'm not even sure that makes sense to me) Also don't be afraid to move the ball front to back as well as side to side, this works best when you have a problem of jumping the rock. JB

tateuts
09-18-2003, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> So aim and hit them FAST, speed and hard are different things (I'm not even sure that makes sense to me) <hr /></blockquote>

You are absolutely right - and it does make sense. I would equate it with the golf swing. The player generating the most speed is the one with the relaxed, calm swing and nice long follow through. The muscles are somewhat relaxed and are therefore limber - limber enough to generate speed. Same with throwing a fastball. I actually do visualize throwing a fastball when I'm breaking. The windup, careful aim, and "thwap" fastball right through the rack.

I'll tell you what drives me nuts: trying to break in balls on slow tables with dead rails and 4" pockets! Ohhh, my hernia's acting up already!

Chris