PDA

View Full Version : Scouting your opponents

UTAddb
09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
I'm on my college pool team now and will be going to collegiate tournaments often. I'll watch my upcoming opponents play their previous match, but I'm not quite sure what to look for and how to use it to my advantage. Any advice?

Jimmy B
09-18-2003, 02:30 AM
The only way I think it can help is if you know what to look for and if you are going to control all the match ups. Since you came here to ask what to look for I'll take that as a no to my first point and suggest you don't watch them. You may catch one of them on a lucky game and then be intimidated and it can throw your game off. The more pool you watch the more you'll be able to spot and you'll even pick up things like patterns and style and stuff that shines through even when the person isn't running out. It's also easy to spot guys who don't handle safes well. JB

randyg
09-18-2003, 04:37 AM
No doubt that the only opponent that matters, needs to be dealt with. Location, size & speed. Then address yourself. Have your personal game plan ready. Remember it's just you, a piece of wood and some plastic spheres. Have fun and good luck.....randyg

Qtec
09-18-2003, 05:27 AM
I agree wuth Jimmy and Randy.Dony watch. It does more harm than good.

Play your own game. Treat all opponents with respect,but not too much.
You concentrate on what you are going to do. Thats what matters.

Qtec

ChrisW
09-18-2003, 07:11 AM
I agree with everybody else. When playing team matches I don't like warming up against the other team. I would rather play against my own team or warm up by myself.

At tournaments I like to find the best player in the house and focus on his play. This helps get into the right frame of mind for my own play. It shows me areas I need to improve and (i believe) trains my brain on what sinking balls looks like.

Play your Game!
Chris

Optimus_P
09-18-2003, 11:44 AM
i dont know if i would agree with everyone else. when you are watching someone else you can pick up a fair amount of things.

how long it takes befor he gets fustrated.
how many missed shots befor he gets mentally fatiged.
what kinda shots he misses most offten.
whats his stance like? (is he a rush player? or does he take his time)
how many shots does he have planned in advance? (personaly its kinda like chess, from the break you have to have your game thought out and at least 2 or 3 variations if you need to change ur plan.)

dont get me wrong, if YOUR not confident in YOUR game, you might as well not watch.

tateuts
09-18-2003, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I'm on my college pool team now and will be going to collegiate tournaments often. I'll watch my upcoming opponents play their previous match, but I'm not quite sure what to look for and how to use it to my advantage. Any advice? <hr /></blockquote>

The one thing I look for when watching an opponent is to see if their safety/kicking game is up to par. If it's not, then I'll play conservatively and be more inclined to make moves on him. I like to see if they run a lot of balls or are more tactical players. I like to see if they are a "go for it" type of player. If they are, I will push or safe to tempting (but safeable) low percentage or impossible shots and hope they go for it.

Chris

ms_cue
09-18-2003, 01:36 PM
I tend to agree with not scouting (if you're fortunate enough to know who your opponent will be). During down time, I like to focus on my game and try to get myself mentally into "tournament mode". Any "scouting" I do is usually in the first rack or two. That is when I study my opponent the hardest and get a feel for the "conditions" (ie table, humidity factor etc...)You learn everything you really need to know in the first rack or two of the match.

dg-in-centralpa
09-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Personally I don't mind watching my opponent as I try to guage how well he is shooting,what shots is he having trouble with, etc. I especially watch to see how well they do with safety play, are they calm or do they get frustrated right away.

DG - just my opinion

ChrisW
09-18-2003, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Personally I don't mind watching my opponent as I try to guage how well he is shooting,what shots is he having trouble with, etc. I especially watch to see how well they do with safety play, are they calm or do they get frustrated right away.

DG - just my opinion <hr /></blockquote>

So lets say your next opponent is shooting awesome, his safety play is played great and he is calm as could be.

Does this help your game against him?

Chris

Rod
09-18-2003, 03:35 PM
You'll have plenty of time to watch them play, especially if you take the game on the light side. Why not forgo watching them and play, and play each one like their a champion? You just be prepared before each tournament.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
09-18-2003, 03:54 PM
ChrisW- actually yes it does help me. I try to find any weakness I can. If he's shooting great, I do my best to not let him any shot. Sometimes I win sometimes I don't. If he and I are shooting that well, if he wins I shake his hand and congratulate him. No problem.

DG - winds are at 20 - 30 mph right now and supposed to get stronger

cheesemouse
09-18-2003, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> You'll have plenty of time to watch them play, especially if you take the game on the light side. Why not forgo watching them and play, and play each one like their a champion? You just be prepared before each tournament.

Rod

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

An old mentor of mine gave me some great advise after seeing me lose very badly to another guys reputation as a top player. I mean I was beat before the match started and felt like an idiot for crapping down my leg so badly. The mentor said " what if you were both in a sound proof booth and were only let out to shoot when it was your turn?". It made sense to me. You are on the money when you say "be prepared". The best scouting report is "I'm ready to play my game and see if it is good enough to win. Put the guy in a sound proof booth and always take your best shot...Of course gathering information about an opponents game can help but putting your own best game down, regardless of what you think you know about an opponent, is the best winning formula.

The Cheese has put the golf clubs away and is now screwed together for another season of hardball.....Yahooooooo....let'er buck powder river.....LOL...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif