PDA

View Full Version : That Darn Hurricane

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 07:58 AM
from yahoo news:

<font color="blue">At least 131,000 customers had lost power by midmorning, including 110,000 in the Virginia Beach area and more than 20,000 along the North Carolina coast, said Dominion Power. </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess I'll call the Holiday Inn in the wee hours of tomorrow morning to see if they have power....or phones /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedHell
09-18-2003, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't recommend calling them and ask if they have phones /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aboo
09-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Why call the Holiday Inn? From all that smack talking going on I didn't think anyone was actually going to sleep out there this weekend anyway...
You need to call the convention center and the pool halls to make sure THEY have power! (And phones :P)

RUNaRAK
09-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Just praying that they can continue play tomorrow. Who's your player favorite??

Barbara
09-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Wally,

Check out this picture of Isabel:

http://www.osei.noaa.gov/iod.html

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Just praying that they can continue play tomorrow. Who's your player favorite?? <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass

jjinfla
09-18-2003, 09:36 AM
I am sitting home watching the hurricane on the weather channel. Looks like the eye will pass right over the convention center. Or worse, the north part of the hurricane, where the most severe winds are, will pass over it.

They are showing Virginia Beach and saying a lot of the hotels on the strip are already without electricity.

Needless to say I cancelled my reservations at the Holliday Inn.

Jake--will settle for playing in the league tonight.

jjinfla
09-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Part of the Pier at Virginia, Beach has just fallen into the Atlantic. All hotels on the strip are now without power. Jake

Perk
09-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Would have been nice if Chris would have had a good draw to get in stroke a bit...according to Azbilliards, it looks like he went 2 and out.. ):

Rod
09-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Wow, it says on MSN 241,000 in Virginia have lost power and I'm sure it's not current. The eye of Isabel is almost on the Carolina shore.

Rod

BLACKHEART
09-18-2003, 10:37 AM
BARBARA: I sent you some pictures at the NEWT9BALL e-mail adress. Did you get them?...JER

Aboo
09-18-2003, 10:40 AM
I don't have one, unless you count 9ballgirl :P

I just like to watch great pool being played, makes no difference who's playing it for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, watching great pool, being shot by a great looking lady is always preferable... &gt;:)

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wow, it says on MSN 241,000 in Virginia have lost power and I'm sure it's not current. The eye of Isabel is almost on the Carolina shore.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

and now.......

<font color="blue"> AT LEAST 300,000 customers in southeastern Virginia and 48,000 in North Carolina had lost electricity by midmorning as the wind toppled trees onto power lines. </font color>

I think I better stay home and work in the yard this weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
09-18-2003, 10:53 AM
JER,

I won't be able to sign onto my mail server until I get home.

I'll let you know!

Barbara

Mr Ingrate
09-18-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm in the Holiday Inn and its 1:00 pm. Still have power and phones. Winds are getting high. High tide is at 2:00 so that should be the worst of the flooding. I only know for sure what is happening out the window and flooding doesn't look too bad. Anyway I'm here and my wife now has absolute proof that I'm crazy. She's here too, which proves that she may also have some mental problems. They expect the worst of the storm in this area about 2:00 pm, one hour from now.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> I'm in the Holiday Inn and its 1:00 pm. Still have power and phones. ...........<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the report. I was hoping someone would check in.

Please keep us updated if possible. If no reports are forthcoming we'll assume your power is gone.

And stay away from the windows /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and don't step in any puddles with downed power lines in them /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Seriously, take care.......

Rod
09-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Wally,

Good luck, you never know they might have power. However power may not be the issue, the traffic getting there might be a nightmare! If it's too bad they may regulate or cut off access completely. Isabel really sucks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

stevelomako
09-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Laughed my ass off on the comment about you and your wife.

But seriously......hope you all stay safe and all of you be carefull.

RedHell
09-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Dave,

It's good to hear you're all safe. KM's girl (JAM) mentionned players all going to q-master to wait out Isabelle, will you be going ? A report on the action could be nice...

On another subject, reading the brackets I noticed that our Canadian representatives were doing fine, Salva, Horsfall, Hewitt and Paguylayan seems in great shapes. I'm specially interested in Danny's performance. I saw he got Putnam 11-2, but how does he look, did you get to watch him play ?

Maybe Thierry, if he's there (I'm sure he is) could tell us his state of mind !!!

Thanks,

And be carefull !

Fred Agnir
09-18-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>
Maybe Thierry, if he's there (I'm sure he is) could tell us his state of mind !!!
<hr /></blockquote> As of a few days ago, Thierry wasn't planning on going.

Fred

RedHell
09-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Hmmm, I'm surprised... One would think this is an event he doesn't want to miss to market his cues.

Is it related to the Hurricane ? Or just not interested... conflict in schedule maybe ?

Rod
09-18-2003, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least 600,000 customers in Virginia and 100,000 more in North Carolina had lost electricity by midday as the wind toppled trees onto power lines.
<hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
In the coastal resort of Virginia Beach, the police chief urged those staying behind to write their names on their forearms so authorities could identify their bodies and notify their next of kin. <hr /></blockquote>

I know the convention center is 15 to 20 miles inland but it sure looks grim. They haven't even felt the full force. Hope everyone is safe, be very careful.

Rod

RedHell
09-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Are you kidding me, did the police actually asked to write their names on their forearms ???

Damn this is crazy. Way to put the population in fear...

And isn't this a little extreme for a cat 2 hurricane ?

Deeman
09-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Gang, lost my job in Pennsylvania, just moved to Alabama (Auburn). Won't make the Open. Wally, many thanks for the tapes of Efren. You don't know how much it ment to receive them just as I left Penn. I am able to shoot against my father on his table every night and am only a block from my parents. I'd rather starve in the South than be rich in Pennsylvania.

I wish the best for everyone who makes it there. I hope the weather holds and everyone is safe.

Dave, I'll just have to meet you another time. Now I've got to go set up my Brunswick and find a good pool hall around here.

Myt best to everyone. Wally, I owe you one. Thanks for the kindness.

Deeman

Rod
09-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Red,

Here is the full story.

Isabel (http://www.msnbc.com/news/961894.asp)

Their trying to tell everyone near the coast it is very dangerous. If your butt isn't tied down in 100 mph winds, your going bye bye. Even if it was you can get hit by any number of flying objects or possibly electrocuted.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2003, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Gang, lost my job in Pennsylvania, just moved to Alabama (Auburn).

<font color="blue">Sorry about the job. I was wondering where you went. </font color>

Won't make the Open.

<font color="blue">Me neither it seems. </font color>

Wally, many thanks for the tapes of Efren. You don't know how much it ment to receive them just as I left Penn.

<font color="blue">Didn't you say your father was a big Efren fan? </font color>

I am able to shoot against my father on his table every night and am only a block from my parents.

<font color="blue">Cool. </font color>

I'd rather starve in the South than be rich in Pennsylvania.

<font color="blue">You won't starve in the south /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

One of my favorite stories is from the late Jim Valvano. Somebody asked him what's the biggest difference between New York and North Carolina.

He said in NY you ask somebody for the time and they say "WTF do I look like, Big Ben?"

In North Carolina they look at you and say "You poor boy, you broke your watch. Let me take you home and cook you some supper" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif</font color>

I wish the best for everyone who makes it there. I hope the weather holds and everyone is safe.

Dave, I'll just have to meet you another time. Now I've got to go set up my Brunswick and find a good pool hall around here.

Myt best to everyone. Wally, I owe you one. Thanks for the kindness.

<font color="blue">No problem at all. </font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Candyman
09-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Hello all! I thought I would give a storm report from the Burlington, NC area. We are getting 40-50 MPH winds and lots of rain. Our location is 60 miles NW of Raleigh. It started about 8AM and has gotten progressively worst throughout the day. It is now 3:35PM. I have been listening to all of the local tv stations and storm damage on the NC coast up through Ocean City, MD is extensive. It is not as bad as it could have been, since the forward motion of the storm excelerated when it made land-fall. Coastal erosion is taking a big hit. Flooding isn't as bad as it could have been, although major flooding is occuring in low lying areas. Power outages are going to be a big problem. I saw huge numbers of utility trucks staging in a large parking area at lunch today. Raleigh was reporting 40-60mph winds and some trees down. We heard a report that things will get worse later in the PM and then things should start to calm down. I heard a report that the convention center and Holiday Inn still had power, but Q-Master's was in the dark. On the positive side, we are suppose to have a beautiful weekend. Lock

RedHell
09-18-2003, 02:09 PM
I don't think 100 mph wind will send a man bye bye. I went thru Felix with win in the 80 mph and guts at 120mph and we were nowhere near flying off the ground. But I could be wrong. I do agree that flying object are the main danger.

I ducked plenty of palmtree branch while outside picking up my stuff to bring it in.

In anyway, I find the idea of telling people to write their name on their forearms morbid. That's all...

BillPorter
09-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Wally, I called them about 3:00 PM this afternoon. They had power and phones, but said the worst of the storm wouldn't hit them until about 5:00 PM. Also said there would be no penalty for canceling due to the storm. I cancelled. I'm not up for staying at a motel without electric power and it seemed to me that there is a fair chance of that happening. Anyway, good luck to you...I hope the motel stays out of harms way.

cycopath
09-18-2003, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Gang, lost my job in Pennsylvania, just moved to Alabama (Auburn). <hr /></blockquote>
Welcome to 'Bama!

Sorry 'bout Auburn.

Barbara
09-18-2003, 03:39 PM
I sent you and email, but here it is again:

Jerry,

That's a seriously beautiful cue!! The points are razor sharp, too! What do we have here, ebony and cocobolo with ivory diamond inlays? Ebony butt? And this is a DONATED CUE? I should've gone down there!!! Do these people know what you go through to put those little squares in the collar joint?? No, they don't. Which is why you should send this to me and I'll hold on to it until the Lucky Winner develops a FULL APPRECIATION for what you're doing to your eyes and sanity. Not a problem... Just ship it right to me!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

And just to send it off right, please pack it in that custom (do I smell Jack Justis?) leather case with you name on it. It's not right that someone should have to ask of the maker. It should be obvious!

Barbara

Fred Agnir
09-18-2003, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Hmmm, I'm surprised... One would think this is an event he doesn't want to miss to market his cues.

Is it related to the Hurricane ? Or just not interested... conflict in schedule maybe ? <hr /></blockquote> Conflict, as I recall.

Fred

Mr Ingrate
09-18-2003, 09:35 PM
I just got in late last night so I haven't seen any action. Q-Masters is without power. The power went off at the Holiday Inn about 3:30 pm today. The hotel managed to hook up a big generator so we have power although it looks like we are the only ones. Optimistic that it will start again tommorrow as the worst of the storm has passed. Night All!

BLACKHEART
09-18-2003, 10:49 PM
THANK YOU BARBARA FOR THE KIND WORDS.
P.S.
If there isn't going to be a CCB TOURNAMENT because of a low turnout, I wish someone would tell me. If the tournament is going off, as planned, I'll "next day"the Q...JER

Rod
09-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Thank you for the report Dave. At least it's good to have some idea of what you all are going through. Take care.

Rod

BLACKHEART
09-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Barbara, I sent you a SCOOP by E-MAIL...JER

Chris in NC
09-19-2003, 05:04 AM
Dave, now Friday morning at 7am (we'd planned to leave by now) we are awaiting news from Chesapeake before we leave here for the 6-7 hour trip. The only contact I've been able to make at all is the Holiday Inn, in which the receptionist reports everyone there still without power. That hotel is operating on an emergency generator but apparently none of the others even have that. Apparently Barry's plans are to try to find a generator to allow the Conference Center to get back up and running so they can resume matches sometime this afternoon or this evening. It doesn't sound too promising.

Dave, I desperately need info if you have any regarding conditions in Chesapeake, and the realisitic liklihood that power will be restored and the tourney will continue - in order for us to make a decision as to whether we should even bother leaving here, or to hang tight and wait for more info. We don't even know if we can even get to the area on Hwy. 58 or not. Thanks - Chris in NC

Mr Ingrate
09-19-2003, 08:08 AM
Chris,

Power hasn't come back on in the city yet. Holiday Inn is running on their generator. I'm on my way to breakfast, but don't know anything else. There are a number of us here and still plan on holding the CCB tournament. Of course, that will require power at q-masters. On the bright side, it is clear and sunny, a beautiful day, and they're working on the power. I'll report in again later. Dial-Up sucks!

jjinfla
09-19-2003, 10:42 AM
AZBilliards home page reports that power has been restored to the Convention Center and all 10:00am matches have been scheduled for 2:00pm.

Let the games begin.

Hope it is smooth sailing from now on.

Jake

Deeman
09-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Cycopath:

Good to be here. I was wondering why everyone around here was sort of down, then I found out Auburn was looking for high school teams to try and compete with!!!

Maybe we can get together and hit a few some day.

Wally was exactly right, I'll never starve to death here.

Deeman

Chris in NC
09-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Good News! The conference center and at least one more hotel now has power. Hopefully power will return to the other area hotels soon. As reported by azbilliards and the Holiday Inn, matches are now scheduled to start today at 2pm. Now we're seriously thinking again about going! - Chris in NC

cycopath
09-19-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Cycopath:

Good to be here. I was wondering why everyone around here was sort of down, then I found out Auburn was looking for high school teams to try and compete with!!!

Maybe we can get together and hit a few some day.
<hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, that would be cool. There's a few rooms in Montgomery. Maybe we could make plans to meet there someday.

Mr Ingrate
09-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Just got back from sweating some matches. Play started at 2:00 PM. Steve Lipsky won his match and for you CA fans my friend Danny Petralba also won his match over Ronnie Wiseman. The Holiday Inn is still on their generator. Barry says Q-Masters will have power today, guaranteed.

We are having the CCB tournament tomorrow morning so get your ass down here.

Weather is marvelous!

jjinfla
09-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Dave, If Earl beats Petroni and Horsfall beats Clowery in their next matches then you will be able to watch a USA vs Canada matchup: Strickland vs Horsefall.

Earl lost to him last time so he will be looking for revenge.

Jake

Sally
09-19-2003, 04:45 PM
I know that I personally am looking forward to the 8 p.m. match with Earl and Fabio. That really has some potential for sparks flying!

Everything is going great here in Chesapeake again. The Holiday Inn has power via a generator, but the conference center is up and running on its own. The afternoon matches are winding down, and the winners' bracket matches begin at 8 p.m. I've met several very cool CCB'ers already, including Tom and Wendy, which is great. I'm hoping that the CCB event is still on for tomorrow.

I'm posting updates on our site twice a day, once after the afternoon matches and once after the evening rounds. Hope everyone is enjoying them.

Chris in NC
09-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Dave and Sally, thanks for the updates. It's great that everythings seems have gotten back to some semblance of order there with the tourney and power. Our hotel where we have a reservation now has power, so we're looking at leaving in the wee hours of the morning and getting there by early afternoon.

Have you guys heard whether there is power at Q-Masters and whether they are open yet, or when they might be hoping to be open by? The late night action there is as much a part of the U.S. Open experience as sweating out the tourney matches at the Conference Center! Also of UTMOST importance, are gas stations and restaurants open, or is there at least the expectation that they will be up and running by tomorrow? Any info as to what we are getting ourselves in to here would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping to see to you guys tomorrow. - Chris in NC

stickman
09-19-2003, 10:46 PM
It's good to hear that those who planned and saved for the last year to make the trip weren't KO'ed by Isabel. Thanks for the update Dave.

jjinfla
09-20-2003, 04:49 AM
Great writeup at insidepool.com (http://insidepool.com) Sally.

Also, thanks to Inside Pool for sponsoring last year's Open on BcTV. Great subscription offer in the commercial too. Just my luck that I had already re-newed.

Jake

Sally
09-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Thank you! It's keeping me at least busy, if not out of trouble.

Our writer Paul is currently down at Q-Masters covering the CCB tournament and I can't wait to hear from him tonight about how it went. I'm so disappointed that I couldn't go and play in it.

Instead, I'm here covering some awesome matches, including Keith McCready just defeating Niels Feijen in the winners' bracket. I'm off to do a post right now about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
09-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks sally,

That is nice of you to take time out for a quick post. We're in the dark here so to speak. If time permits, let us know a little about how the CCB tourney is going. Sorry you weren't able to play, that darn huricane changed a lot of plans.

Rod

cheesemouse
09-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks Sally,

Come on Keith.

Rod
09-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Oh yea, I forgot-- Go Keith!!

Sally
09-20-2003, 11:23 PM
It's been so crazy here that I don't know much. I ran into Tom and Wendy, and they both told me that Kato was the big winner at the CCB event, winning second place and the cue and a couple of Accu-Stats tapes as well.

Apparently the generator kept failing and there were frequent losses of power throughout, but it sounds as if everyone there had a great time. I'm so bummed to have missed it. You'll have to read our article when it comes out in November.

Rod
09-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Thank you Sally!

Kato the lucky bum--er guy /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Go Keith!