PDA

View Full Version : Playing Partners, Race To 2 Question

Sid_Vicious
09-18-2003, 03:21 PM
I have competition in partner's 8-ball in a couple of hours with an organized Corporate Challenge(local business units ranging from fortune 500 to places with several hundred employees, which I fit into) and wondered about something. My partner is super at running out given a modest table, and I wondered if this means I'd be smart to duck way early in my time at the table, leaving next to nothing for the opponents in hopes to let my partner do what he does best, run out? Now I'm not saying I can't run off a table, it just is not that regular, and I can easily find a stupid place to roll into late in my run, leaving an uncluttered table.

Is there a proper situation to duck early and setup a partner, especially when the opposition is not all that spectacular to begin with, except for the possible screw up late in the run?

Thanks,
Sid

pooldaddy9
09-18-2003, 06:59 PM
I would say, play your game. If you don't have a good run or shot, shoot defence and wait on your partner. I hate it when my partner always counts on me to pull us through. It is a partners game. Don't sell yourself short. Go for it sometime. (JM2C)

Sid_Vicious
09-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Well we ended up winning the event, and yes my butt was saved by some elegant runouts by none other, Spiderman! There wasn't really any purposefull, early ducking going on, basically because the opportunity didn't present itself often. My goal of rolling safe to the weaker side upon the opportunities, and Spidey doing his consistent routine of connecting the dots kicked into gear. I coulda played better, but the main thing was that we were playing for a common goal...to win. I'm personally gonna wake up tomorrow and feel rather good looking at my gold medal medallion. Our company now sits just two points away from the lead in the overall standings. Oh Btw, we never went out of the winners side either, plus Spiderman and his lady partner took the gold on Tuesday in the mixed as well, again remaining on the winner's side, last ball dropping around 1AM!!!sid

SPetty
09-19-2003, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...and yes my butt was saved by some elegant runouts by none other, Spiderman! <hr /></blockquote>Been there, done that! Spiderman is an awesome partner to have if you're playing pool. I tried to get into the league he plays in in order to have him as a scotch doubles partner in Vegas (which he had agreed to), but I wasn't able to find a team that needed someone and I wasn't able to put together a team of my own /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif, so I committed to the team I was on last year that likes me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where's that boy been lately? I haven't seen him post in weeks.

SpiderMan
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Two teams got to the hill with us, but otherwise we slashed undefeated through a field of 11 companies from the Dallas Telecom Corridor to take the gold.

The Corporate Olympics runs for a solid month around here, and so far our company (TriQuint Semiconductor) is in front of the pack overall. Tonight is ping-pong competition, tomorrow tennis, this weekend flag football.

See Sid and Spidey, two grinning monkeys ready to go home!

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/SPetty+Predator+Talisman&amp;.dnm=Gold.jpg&amp;.view=t