PDA

View Full Version : 8-ball and 9-ball enough?

Mr. Blonde
09-19-2003, 01:42 AM
I don't want to make my living playing pool and I'll admit I don't play at the pro level. But if I were good enough to play in pro events or make decent money gambling could one do that just by playing 8 and 9-ball or would I have to also play one pocket/straight pool ?

Perk
09-19-2003, 05:47 AM
I would think that you would need to play ALL the games at some point. Some of the older players gamble alot, but wont play nine ball. I have heard many state that 9ball is a young mans game, and that onepocket is the true game. One in particular mentions his eye sight is not good for the long shots in 9ball,,,but he can still shoot strong in OnePocket.

I would think the more versed you were in all pocket billiard games, the less down time you would have if you were trying to make a living at it.

Deeman
09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Practice straight pool and rotation if you want to be a nine baller. I don't know that anyone could make a living or have that much tournament winnings at 8 ball as there is just not enough venues to compete. I think one pocket can teach you a lot but to be really good, you have to play them all, even snooker will help your shotmaking. Banks is good to play as an addition to one pocket. Play a lot on 9 footers with shimmed pockets if you can. Play better players and always have a purpose to your practice. I might hit fifty balls with inside or fifty with no English.

Enjoy it, whatever you do.

Deman

Rod
09-19-2003, 12:52 PM
If you were good enough to play or be competitive in a pro event then you would have a command of several games. I wouldn't put 14-1 very high on a list, not that many play or gamble on the game. Sometimes it depends on the area, you might not get any real pool action but someone might play Snooker but better yet Golf. Really Snooker and 14-1 is to slow of a game unless enough is bet.

Bottom line is you should play good, from a 7 footer to a 12 footer. If your out on the road you can't be to picky, you need action to pay the expenses.

Rod