PDA

View Full Version : Any News from Chesapeake ?? - Friday am

Chris in NC
09-19-2003, 05:08 AM
We're awaiting some news from Chesapeake before we attempt to try and travel there today from NC for the U.S. Open. Apparently the entire Va. Beach / Chesapeake area is without power indefinently.

Barry is apparently trying to locate a generator for the Conference Center, so that they don't have to depend on the power company to restore power - which may take days. It doesn't sound real good at this point. Anyone there that has more info please post - thanks. - Chris in NC

bluewolf
09-19-2003, 06:05 AM
My best friend's brother lives in chesapeak. He had trees down on back and front of house with no electric. He had to climb out his window to get the cell phone out of his car.

Dont know about the chesapeak as a whole, though.

Our news here says that lots of roads are blocked to people trying to get into lots of affected areas, so you might want to check with the state police first to be sure you can get through.

Laura

Voodoo Daddy
09-19-2003, 06:14 AM
I spoke to KATO yesterday...at 3:30 he, PhilfromSoFla, Rich and the lovely Kathy were playin' Hold 'em Poker in the Hotel...with no power. More to come...

Wally_in_Cincy
09-19-2003, 06:48 AM
AZB says Barry has secured a generator and will power up at 10:00 am.

Like bluewolf said though, you might want to call the state police, or at least contact the hotel. I called them this morning and they're on generator power.

BTW I'm staying here. It doesn't make sense to me to drive 650 miles into a disaster area not really knowing what to expect.

Chris in NC
09-19-2003, 10:00 AM
The latest I've heard is that best case scenario the matches will resume at 7pm tonight (Friday) - and that's probably optimistic IMO. The only contact I've made of the numerous numbers I have (other hotels, Conference Center, Q-Masters, etc.) is the desk person at the only hotel that has generator power and phones that are working. So as to whether this person's info is accurate is even questionable. Even the info phone numbers in the offices at the Conference Center are closed for today and providing absolutely no recorded info messages - very dissappointing though I know they have more important problems at this time to worry about.

Bottom line - only one area hotel/motel in the area has power at this time, and it may be days until power is restored. I'm sure all the players and spectators staying at the other hotels without power are already on the waiting list for rooms at this one highly coveted hotel - including us.

As much as we love this tourney and attend it faithfully every year, the thought of traveling 7 hours to a disaster area with no guarantee of even being able to get there and possibly being forced to stay in a motel room with no power, no AC, no TV, no lights, and no hot water for a shower is quite honestly not too inviting for myself.

I guess for those that are already there it's worth staying and making the best of the situation, but for the rest of us (at least myself) we may have to just accept that it just wasn't meant to be this year.

For those of you faithful fans, players and CCB'ers already there, and those of you that will continue with your plans to attend, best of luck and I know you'll make the best of a tough situation! Here's still hoping for a miracle that may have us in Chesapeake by Saturday! - Chris in NC

Qtec
09-19-2003, 10:31 AM
What a bummer. I'm sure the CCBers there will make the best of it. I feel sorry for Barry tho. he could have used a little luck.

Q

Chris in NC
09-19-2003, 11:20 AM
To update my last message, now they are saying power has returned to the Conference Center and at least one additional area hotel. Matches are scheduled to start today at 2pm. Things are looking up! - Chris in NC

nAz
09-19-2003, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> What a bummer. I'm sure the CCBers there will make the best of it. I feel sorry for Barry tho. he could have used a little luck.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I think CW is to blame for all this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vicki
09-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Last word from my sources down there is that the matches are on - behind, but on. there is power in the convention center and in the hotels around the convention center. Lines at restaurants are long, Q-Masters has no power but they do have a generator (although there is a 9pm curfew imposed so that's no good). I plan to head down in the morning. I'd have gone today but Isabel gave me a little clean up to do.

Vicki

Ross
09-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Because Isabel fuxxed me up yesterday, I had some legal stuff to take care of all day today. So now I'm running way behind on this trip. Anyway, I'm going to try to get up at 6 am so I can make it to the CCB tourney.

It's 193.4 miles from my house to Q-masters, according to Mapquest, so I figure 3 1/2 hours.

I was trying to leave tonight to drive up late, but called Holiday Inn and found out they had cancelled my reservations (forgot to call them Thursday night during the hurricane /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif )AND they had no other rooms. No luck with Hampton Inn, either. But I need a break from my job/life in Durham, so I'm coming up anyway - hopefully the Rum Runner Inn will be able to put me up Sat night. If not, I'll try to finagle a place to stay with 9-ball Girl ( /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) or Vicki ( /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)!

See some of youse guys tomorrow, if I can get my tired-ass out of bed after 3 hours of sleep. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif