PDA

View Full Version : Cue value please, Earl Strickland by Meucci, PICS

greenhorn
09-19-2003, 10:40 AM
I'll be honest to say I am not a pool player. I've tried but never got the hang of it. I got this cue that I think is very unique and beautiful. I don't intend to play with it. I am thinking of displaying it on my wall as artwork. It was described to me as the "Leap Frog". Very artistic with a frog leaping from a lilly pad over what appears to be a partially submerged in water red 3 ball. The shaft end of the butt has more green frog shapes inlaid. Nice grain in wood stained mostly green. It says Earl Strickland by Meucci all in upper case block letters. Is anybody familiar with this cue, it's age and it's value. What is the best way to display this on a wall. Thanks in advance.

Deeman
09-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Greenhorn,

I don't know the value of the cue but it is probably not worth much, in my opinion as it is a production cue, maybe a few hundred (unless you could tie to Earl personally). If you really want to display it and the shaft is straight, get a sword display case with glass front. Attach it with some rod clamps that you can attach some felt on the inside of. To protect the cue, keep it out of direct sunlight and open the case and rotate the shaft a quarter turn every few weeks to keep moisture from drawing the cue into a warp. Put a couple of desecatant pills/sacks in to keep the humidity down. You can get the rod clamps at Home Depot in the curtain section.

By the way, if you really want to enjoy it, just learn to shoot this wonderful game, we can always use new players. Good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I hope this helps.

Deeman

tateuts
09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
I collect old Meucci's and I've heard of this cue but have never seen it. I would call customer service at Meucci - Darren - and ask him at (800) 563-8224. He knows an awful lot about their history. You can also e-mail the screename "scarletfrisco" on E-Bay - he knows more about old Meucci's than anyone.

Earl signed on for a short time with them - I think we're talking mid to late 1980's when Meucci was the pro tour sponsor. This cue has collector value. It's probably worth around $300 to $500, based on similar limited run novelty type of Meuccis. The "Frog" is probably because Earl was good at jumping the cue ball. Everyone's heard of the Meucci David Howard and Jimmy Rempe cues, but there were also cue lines with Larry Hubbart, Buddy Hall, and Mikey Siegel.

Chris

SPetty
09-19-2003, 02:42 PM
This was recently discussed in an OnTheSnap forum, with this result:

"Well, since I got no responses. I called a pool cue restorer. He said this was a rare cue and the only one he's seen was at the meucci factory in 1985. He said earl Strickland was under the meucci line only for a short time in the 80's. The leap frog cue was a custom cue that symbolizes Strickland who was known for jumping the cue ball. He recommended I send it back to Meucci for restoration. The person I spoke to at the factory remembers hearing about this cue but has never seen it. FWIW"

Click here (http://www.onthesnap.com/forum/index.htm#0000014a) to see the original post.

greenhorn
09-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Tateuts,

I have spoken to Darren. I sent this cue to him to have it restored. I just got it back this week after two months. He did a beautiful job. It looks awesome. It was worth the wait to me. I wish my digital pics could show how nice this looks but I've tried different angles and it still doesn't show it like in person.

Darren told me the same thing you did. He has heard of it but has never seen one until this one.

I got the most information from a cue restorer in Pleasant Hill, California, who I spoke to briefly by phone. He said the Strickland leap frog design is because Earl was known for leaping the cue ball. Darren said he was known for more things than that, not necessarily positive. From reading some message boards now I know what he meant.

The Pleasant Hill gentleman said the only one he saw was at the Meucci factory in the 80's. He recommended that I send it to Meucci for restoration because of its collectibility.

DEEMAN,
Maybe one day I'll get into playing better pool. Some people make it seem soooo easy /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

greenhorn
09-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Hey Spetty,
I thought I was seeing doubles or something. I posted the same question there and no one responded except for why Strickland and meucci separated. That was my response to my own post. It is that forum where there were so many negative remarks about Strickland and I had a feeling I posted the question in the wrong forum. Needless to say i removed the site from my favorites and never checked back there again. I found this sight yesterday and it is amazing what kind of following this forum has.

tateuts
09-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Meucci made several hundred different models over the years -just when I thought I'd seen it all something new comes up. I know he made cues for Earl I just don't know what all the designs were they used. I've never seen one single Meucci with Strickland's name on it and believe me I've seen 10,000 Meucci's! I have every Rempe design, at least I think I do but who really knows?

Here's a new theroy - kiss the ugly frog and see if it turns into a handsome prince. Didn't, did it? Well good. What the hell would you do with a handsome prince anyway? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But seriously, it would be worth the trouble of contacting "scarletfrisco" on e-bay . What you do is (first register with e-bay) click on "feedback forum" on the bottom of the opening screen, click on "view feedback form or request feedback", type in "scarletfrisco", and when the after the feedback appears doubleclick on the name "scarletfrisco" to e-mail him. He's a nice guy and I guarantee, if nothing else, you will be amazed at his knowledge of everything Meucci. He will probably want to buy it.

Good luck to you,

Chris

greenhorn
09-19-2003, 08:35 PM
Tateuts,
Thanks for the info. I have an ebay user ID. I'll try to look him up.

For your info at the site below they show a cue with Earl Strickland by Meucci. Same type of block upper case writing as mine but a different design cue. The other one with the same block type upper case writing is the Buddy Hall by Meucci cue they picture.
Thanks!

http://www.cues4all.com/examples/meucci.htm

Ralph S.
09-20-2003, 02:15 AM
Greenhorn, when I get off work tomorrow night I will look through my guides and see if I can find any info for you. I would do it now but I just got off work and am going to bed.

Ralps S.>these 12 hour days are back breakers..hope I can shoot tomorrow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee
09-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Another resource you might check out is my friend Rick Goulden, who is one of the largest collectors of old Meucci cues in the United States. He lives in Des Moines, IA, and can be emailed at Ladybear@aol.com. If you email him a picture he can likely give you an up-to-date value on the cue, and might well be interested in it...as it appears to be a VERY limited edition cue. Rick has many one-of-a-kind cues, and loves to purchase that kind of stuff. He is extremely reliable and honest. Tell him I sent you!

Scott Lee

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Scott,
I tried that e-mail but it didn't go through. Can someone show me how to post pics or maybe I can e-mail someone these pics and you can post them for me. thanks

c.holtz009
09-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Kinda strange that there would be an Earl Strickland jump cue, when he calls it a "gimmick stick". Doesn't anyone else find this odd?

beerwolf
09-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Did someone say it is a jump cue?
BW

bolo
09-21-2003, 12:44 PM
I am sure it is not a jump cue, I don't think he said it was.

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 05:07 PM
I don't know what kind of cue this is. I like it for it's looks not it's purpose. I'm going to try to post a pic. I hope it works.
yahoo photos (http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ezapa007/vwp?.dir=/1f9a&.dnm=8d83.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t)

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Post deleted by greenhorn

Rod
09-21-2003, 05:24 PM
your not having very much luck with pictures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif keep trying

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Still trying....
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398385/cue1.jpg

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Finally got pictures..
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398385/cue6.jpg

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 08:21 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398385/cue4.jpg

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 08:22 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398385/cue3.jpg

greenhorn
09-21-2003, 08:24 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398385/cue2.jpg

tateuts
09-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Greenhorn,

WOW! What a cue! What you've got is really rare cue - I've not seen another like it. It's probably relatively valuable for a Meucci. I would say the lettering dates it to the early to mid- 1980's. It's the same lettering they used for the Jimmy Rempe, Hubbart, and Mikey Sigel series.

Usually, when Meucci puts a players name on the cue, it is just a re-hash of off the shelf stuff. For example, forearm from one cue and buttsleeve from another. The Rempe's, Sigel cue, Hubbarts, whatever were pretty much standard models with someone's name rolled on the butt.

Some of the "artsy" cues, like the Julian Lennon Piano cue and the Tomahawk Cue (with arrows, knives, and tomahawks)went into production in limited numbers and are not too easy to locate today. I'm going to try to give you some realistic prices. People say what something is "worth" but I'm going to say what I think you can really get. For example, an old logo Piano cue would go for $600 - $900, the Tomahawk Cue would go for $700 - $900. A one-off Bob Meucci signed custom can go for $1500 - $2,000 or more depending on the work.

My guess is that this Strickland cue was extremely limited production - a handful - if it ever made it to production. It could be a prototype. Whatever it is, I think it would be worth in the area of $500 to $800 to the right buyer. It would be worth more if there were more inlays or if the cue were particularly famous or had some other history. It's neat and unusual - and would definitely be a keeper for a collector.

I don't understand why Darren won't just call Bob or ask someone else around there who made this stick. Bob will remember this stick, I guarantee it!

Chris

Aboo
09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
That's a beautiful cue doc! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My sister would go ga-ga over it, she's is a frog FREAK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cycopath
09-22-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr>My sister would go ga-ga over it, she's is a frog FREAK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>So is my wife.

tateuts
09-22-2003, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr>My sister would go ga-ga over it, she's is a frog FREAK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>So is my wife. <hr /></blockquote>

So is my daughter. I'm telling you it's that damn handsome prince story!

Chris

greenhorn
09-22-2003, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr>My sister would go ga-ga over it, she's is a frog FREAK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>So is my wife. <hr /></blockquote>

So is my daughter. I'm telling you it's that damn handsome prince story!

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Ha, ha, ha...What is with women and frogs. My wife is into frog figurines as well. That's why I was going to display it on the wall. So far it looks out of place no matter what wall I position it on (this is the only thing pool related we own). And I'm not kissing the frog, Tateuts, because if it turns into a prince, I'll end up beating him with the cue stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SharpCat
09-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Tateuts,

A friend onm my APA team to me a good story about a Meucci cue. When he lived in arizona one of his playing buddies had a Meucci cue that was handed down to him buy his dad. It said Meucci Original on the buttcapp. He was not specific on the design but said the inlays were of a pick color. His buddy was not sure if it was a Meucci or a knockoff. He told hid buddy the only way to know if it was a Meucci or not was to send it to them. He sent the cue to Meucci. About a week later he got a call from Meucci asking him if he was interested in selling the cue. He asked how much? They said we'll cut you a check right now for $30,000 dollars. He said send it back. It was one of the first Meucci Originals made. They sent it back with papers stating it's value and wood's used in construction. He had it appraised buy a cue collector at $35,000. I'm not sure if he play's with it or not. I'll have to ask.

greenhorn
09-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Sharp Cat,
That's a lot of money for a cue. I hope it has diamond inlays and platinum rings around it. My Wife thinks that's a lot of money for a cue even if it was made by Gucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif