PDA

View Full Version : I wanna learn one pocket !

Mr. Blonde
09-19-2003, 09:16 PM
One pocket is one of those games I've always wanted to learn but I've been kinda intimidated by it. But now I'm ready to take the plunge. Can somebody give me some suggestions on what books or videos to buy? Also if you could give me some very basic stragety and ideas for a beginner that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NH_Steve
09-20-2003, 05:45 AM
There are four books that could help, if you are a book person:

Eddie Robin's Winning One-Pocket & Shots, Moves, Strategy
Jack Kohler's Upscale one Pocket
and one more that you might even already have on your book shelf if you've been studying pool for a long time:
George Fels' Mastering Pool, which has a nice section on learning the game.

The time honored way to learn is to find a knowledgeable player -- especially an older one, who may not be able to execute so well anymore, but who enjoys passing along his knowledge.

Accustat's Video Productions has many many One Pocket tapes and the commentary will help you understand the thinking.

The most basic strategy concept is to get balls near your own pocket (ultimately into of course!), and at the same time make it difficult for your opponent to remove them (generally by leaving the cue ball behind blocking balls).

If you don't have a shot to your own pocket to score a ball, try to improve the lie of the balls that remain on the table to favor you -- by removing bals from your opponent's side and moving them to your own.

Have fun, One Pocket offers a lifetime of challenge and entertainment.

See you at the Derby City Classic!

ceebee
09-20-2003, 01:35 PM
... well you should brush up on your 2 railers off your caddy-corner pocket for sure. The one railers off the end rail & the cross banks off the side rail should be your forte. Also the 3 railers back to your pocket should be second nature. Can you put a ball 1" off the end rail & bank it back into the pocket beside you. How are you on carom shots? Can you throw a ball around a ball? How about short jump shots? Are your combos going in regularly? How's your SPEED? Are you a super duper position player (dime size location)? Can you see on-shots in a cluster? How are you at breaking out clustered balls? How is your LEAVE play?

When you get all of that going, PLUS having the patience of JOB to wait for your chance to make some balls, then you are ready for one of Eddie Robin's books. Accustats has some great One Pocket matches.... something to learn from.

Good Luck... One Pocket can be fun, even for non-talented player. It's a brutal game for money when you are out matched.

REMEMBER this... it's hard for your opponent to make a ball in his pocket, when the cue ball is always sitting there.

Voodoo Daddy
09-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Kohler's book is awesome, I'll also suggest any Grady Mathews tape <there all good> as well as watching two good players battle. The act of playing One Pocket is my favorite way of learning because I am the one executing the shots, not someone else. Trial and error isnt pretty but it is very effective, HAHAHAHA!!

Good Luck and I HOPE to get to the DERBY '04 this coming
January...

Voodoo~~~~not a great player but good at 4-rail, two part one-hole shots